Embedded YouTube videos

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Utilizator

Embedded YouTube videos

Unread post by Utilizator » 2017-10-10, 16:22

They never played in Palemoon for me - only sound, but everything black, so I thought it was my browser's settings' or PC configuration's or adblocker's or whatever's fault, because it was the norm, no matter what machine was on, and I installed it on quite a few.
The previous update came with a big surprise: I could watch embedded YouTube videos in Palemoon too.
But today, after the latest update, everything is black again.

megaman

Re: Embedded YouTube videos

Unread post by megaman » 2017-10-10, 16:34

We need to know a site.
At least to pinpoint where you can look to solve the problem.

First guess is Updating your Operating System to get the latest codecs for media.
Then, there is enabling or disabling Hardware Acceleration.
Off-topic:
Alternate Solution: You can install the K-Lite media pack, I use the Full version, Lyceus recommends the MEGA. This is only a last resort, don't jump right on it. Who knows? It might not be needed.

Utilizator

Unread post by Utilizator » 2017-10-10, 17:01

Any given site. I noticed while trying to watch the trailer for a movie, right after completing today's update.
But then, everything black again on all my Inoreader's news feeds - just like before Pale Moon 27.5.0.

I did stop installing K-Lite codec packs many years ago, true. Everything works with incorporated media players' codecs (I mostly use Daum PotPlayer) and never had any problem with video playback in all the other browsers (I'm using 6 at the moment, each for different purpose), not even in Cyberfox, which, I think, disabled all the flash stuff, or something like that.

Thanks for the answer.
I wouldn't have brought it up, because I thought it must be just me - such a problem should have been reported by many, a long time ago, if it was a general issue.
But then again, embedded clips played all of the sudden in this browser in the previous release, so maybe it's something on your side.
Last edited by Utilizator on 2017-10-10, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

mcrin20

Unread post by mcrin20 » 2017-10-10, 17:09

This is not necessarily a youtube problem, but I cannot play videos embedded in any website, for example:
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/stl-vs-n ... tate=final

I have tried everything (disabling no script, allowing flash in permissions), and all I get is a black square when I hit the play icon.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-10-10, 17:33

Utilizator wrote:I wouldn't have brought it up, because I thought it must be just me - such a problem should have been reported by many, a long time ago, if it was a general issue.
But then again, embedded clips played all of the sudden in this browser in the previous release, so maybe it's something on your side.
Okay, thanks for the link, but please remove it as it is against our ToS.
The trailer played fine on my end.

The only thing that comes to mind is hardware acceleration or the codecs aren't picking up on the video for some reason.
Of course, I don't recommend you just mutilate your OS with a codec pack without prior warning.
Cyberfox uses its own codec like Firefox. Palemoon uses the Operating System's codecs.

Edit: If it worked before, it could be security system updated and it is not liking Palemoon or and add-on, perhaps even other programs running along side Palemoon that are intervening. It's a whole mystery, so we have to make a general solution/assumption to begin with.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-10, 18:20

Since one of the changes is in release notes for 27.5.1 mentions UA overrides for Youtube (which mostly reverts the changes done in 27.5 in this regard), try setting a different UA override. Like this one: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 PaleMoon/27.5

Utilizator

Unread post by Utilizator » 2017-10-10, 20:00

Tried, thanks. Only the "general.useragent.override.youtube.com" string, right?
Restarted, but still no luck.