Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-10, 07:16

I have Pale Moon also in my Linux Mint.
How can I update it there?
Is the only way to uninstall the old and install the new version?
How can I then transfer the profile from the old to the new?
With Bookmarks, Settings and Preferences?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Linux

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-10, 07:50

If you are using Linux Mint 17.x, you could try following the tutorial on installing Pale Moon in Ubuntu 14.04 from the repository. This shows you how to install with apt-get. Whenever there is a new release of Pale Moon, you would just enter "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" in a terminal window.

If you are using Linux Mint 18.x, replace "14" with "16" in the code given in the tutorial (because Mint 18.x is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

If what I have said is too confusing, let me know.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-10, 09:00

NewMoon1 wrote: How can I then transfer the profile from the old to the new?
With Bookmarks, Settings and Preferences?
Nothing to do here. The new version will automatically pick up your profile.
And how you update to the new version, that depends on how you installed the browser.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-10, 16:23

OK, I entered "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" my password and clicked
I am not very used to Linux Mint yet...
The "Terminal" ran through a lot of actions and I wandered what it was doing...
It came to about 3 positions where it asked, and one option was something like N=keep actual version.
Since I was not sure, I entered N.

I now realized that I should have chosen Y for a new version and thus missed some 3 updates/upgrades.
So I repeated it but now now such choice cam up, anymore...

What can I do now?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-10-10, 23:33

If I were you I'd get rid of the ppa and install Pale Moon via the PM installer tool. It's much easier.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-11, 03:26

NewMoon1 wrote:OK, I entered "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" my password and clicked
I am not very used to Linux Mint yet...
The "Terminal" ran through a lot of actions and I wandered what it was doing...
Could you copy and paste your output here so that I may read it (and hopefully tell you what it was doing!)
NewMoon1 wrote:It came to about 3 positions where it asked, and one option was something like N=keep actual version.
Since I was not sure, I entered N.

I now realized that I should have chosen Y for a new version and thus missed some 3 updates/upgrades.
So I repeated it but now now such choice cam up, anymore...

What can I do now?
Most likely, the solution is just do this again:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade 
But really, before you do that, let me see what your output is, just to be certain, okay?
Off-topic:
IMHO, I think using apt-get on Ubuntu & Ubuntu-derived systems is preferable to stand-alone Linux installers because in my experience I have observed that users run into fewer problems, and in the end it simplifies system management when you have set everything up properly. Running apt-get every so often keeps everything up to date, not just Pale Moon. YMMV.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-11, 05:16

Well, as I write, I did it again, twice. It did not update Pale Moon.
To show the - long - output I would have to record it, how?

Noomelap13

Unread post by Noomelap13 » 2017-10-11, 07:52

I find it so easy to update Palemoon that when I see a thread like this I sometimes wonder if I am doing something wrong ?

All I do is replace the old "palemoon" folder with the new.

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-10-11, 14:44

I too have problems updating the new version. I did a reinstall of ubuntu 16.04 and so I had to download palemoon once again. I choose the debian version. all good untill now: the software updater won't accept the latest update. I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters ) and "The repository 'http:/ad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.10 Release' is not signed. Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default". I did try sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade several times but in vain. what to do?

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-10-11, 15:44

If you use Arch you can install Pale Moon from the AUR in either binary form or in a way where the source gets automatically compiled locally on your machine.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2017-10-11, 19:12

How does this help us who neither use Ubuntu nor Arch?

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-10-11, 20:08

NewMoon1 wrote:How does this help us who neither use Ubuntu nor Arch?
Linux Mint is a minimally modified fork of Ubuntu; any repository/PPA that works with Ubuntu will work with Linux Mint.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-12, 02:08

oscar wrote:I too have problems updating the new version. I did a reinstall of ubuntu 16.04 and so I had to download palemoon once again. I choose the debian version. all good untill now: the software updater won't accept the latest update. I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters ) and "The repository 'http:/ad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.10 Release' is not signed. Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default". I did try sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade several times but in vain. what to do?
Somehow the step to add the repository key did not go successfully. This may be because the error message says you added the 16.10 repo instead of the 16.04, so perhaps you added the key for the 16.04 repo, and they won't match. If you're adding the correct "Release.key", make sure to delete any ones you have already downloaded to the same folder. The following command will remove any if they are there:

rm -f Release.key

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-12, 02:12

NewMoon1 wrote:How does this help us who neither use Ubuntu nor Arch?
Hmmm---you need to learn a bit more about Mint, and a whole new world of software will up for you, for better or worse...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-12, 02:22

NewMoon1 wrote:Well, as I write, I did it again, twice. It did not update Pale Moon.
To show the - long - output I would have to record it, how?
It won't upgrade if you didn't install the version from the repo to start with, since the package manager doesn't know a thing about the manually installed version. You are right, that output is long, but the output in a terminal can be highlighted, then right-clicked, then copypasted into a post here and labeled with code tags (the code button).

Do that for these much shorter outputs:

apt-cache policy palemoon
shows if the apt package manager knows about palemoon from the repo and if it is installed.

inxi -r
shows what software repositories ("channels") you have active. We are looking for my openSUSE build service one.

Beginners often will ask why we are asking for terminal outputs instead of whatever fancy GUI package manager your distro comes with. We do this because the terminal commands are the lowest common denominator and will always work, no matter how spartan your install or what desktop you are using. Plus it's easy to copypaste the output from a terminal.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-12, 08:13

I moved this from the tutorial thread because support should be here. But please see also what I wrote there in response because I can't move that post, which explains a possible way to remove the old installation.
NewMoon1 wrote: So I would now like to uninstall Pale Moon and reinstall according to your instructions.
Any suggestions about how to do that properly?
And in Linux Mint, not Ubuntu ...
The instructions I provided in the tutorial should work with Linux Mint AFAIK. Are you using Linux Mint 17 or 18 ?
If you are using 18.x, you have to substitute '16' wherever you see '14' in the instructions, because Mint 18.x is derived from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

If you aren't sure which version you are using, please enter this command and share your output.

lsb_release -a
Please also copy and paste everything in the Terminal window when you attempt to install Pale Moon. (Use Ctrl-Shift-C for copy in the Terminal window rather than Ctrl-C.)

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-10-12, 09:51

stevepusser wrote:
oscar wrote:I too have problems updating the new version. I did a reinstall of ubuntu 16.04 and so I had to download palemoon once again. I choose the debian version. all good untill now: the software updater won't accept the latest update. I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters ) and "The repository 'http:/ad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.10 Release' is not signed. Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default". I did try sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade several times but in vain. what to do?
"Somehow the step to add the repository key did not go successfully. This may be because the error message says you added the 16.10 repo instead of the 16.04, so perhaps you added the key for the 16.04 repo, and they won't match. If you're adding the correct "Release.key", make sure to delete any ones you have already downloaded to the same folder. The following command will remove any if they are there:

rm -f Release.key
@steven pusser
I copied and pasted the command in the terminal( rm -f Release.key) but nothing happened. I wasn't told that the command did not exist and was not asked for my password. I only know and use a few terminal commands, so mayby I missed something out?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-10-12, 10:10

oscar wrote: I copied and pasted the command in the terminal( rm -f Release.key) but nothing happened.
There is generally no output from this command.
oscar wrote:I get the message: " NO_PUBKEY" ( followed by a series of numbers and letters )
Please share the series of numbers and letters. Just copy and paste here. I can tell you exactly how to fix this Gnu Privacy Guard (GPG) error once I have that. Those letters and numbers are your missing key.

Basically the solution is one of these:

A.

gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys [YOURKEYINQUESTION]
gpg --armor --export [YOURKEYINQUESTION] | sudo apt-key add -
B. Or, in Ubuntu (and some other Linux distros)

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com [YOURKEYINQUESTION]
Leave out the brackets. Just substitute the series of numbers and letters, your key.

After A or B run

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install palemoon

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-10-12, 20:04

It seems you also accidentally added the Ubuntu 16.10 repository instead of the 16.04 one, based on the error message. Just remove the file that contains the repository:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list
Then go back and repeat the install directions from the start again to add the correct 16.04 repository. You don't have to remove any keys, as it doesn't hurt to have the 16.10 one in your keyring, but make sure you have both the correct repo and key for 16.04 installed.

50s45es

Unread post by 50s45es » 2017-10-13, 04:10

Am using Linux Debian Mint:
lsb_release -a: No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: LinuxMint Description: LMDE 2 Betsy Release: 2 Codename: betsy

apt-cache policy palemoon
palemoon:
Installed: 26.4.1.repack-1 Candidate: 27.5.0~repack-1
Version table: 27.5.0~repack-1 0
500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ebian_9.0/ Packages *** 26.4.1.repack-1 0 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

apt install palemoon:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
palemoon : Depends: libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14) but 1.8.22-0+deb8u1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any suggestions? TIA
Bill