Instead of "doesn't know how to open this address" just assume search?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Khatharr

Instead of "doesn't know how to open this address" just assume search?

Unread post by Khatharr » 2017-08-12, 21:56

I commonly paste search terms (usually straight from code) into the address bar, which almost always worked as expected in FF, but in Pale Moon it's about 50/50 that I get a "I don't know how to open this address" page instead of a search. What do you think about just searching by default in those cases, or maybe just broadening the categories of things that will be searched rather than rejected?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Instead of "doesn't know how to open this address" just assume search?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-13, 08:08

This is why we have a search bar. :) Paste in your search bar if you want to search!
Searching from the address bar on single terms may or may not work, since the browser has to guess from ambiguous input if what you paste is a domain name or search term if there aren't any other indicators. If there's multiple words, it's clear you "intended to search", but for single terms this becomes really ambiguous really quickly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-08-13, 10:10

Moonchild wrote:This is why we have a search bar.
I agree.
Personally, I prefer the address bar to be as dumb as possible!

Avari

Unread post by Avari » 2017-08-13, 13:12

hey Khatharr, i recommend the addon "Context Search X". You select your term and after a right click you can pick your search engine from the context menu. (addon-options: set your common searches (eg google) to show directly and the rare ones in a submenu). Thats faster then copy/paste your search term in a bar. I use this all the time.

another great thing for faster searches are custom keywords

example: if you create a bookmark:

"http://www.google.com/search?q=%s"

you can set a key (e.g. "g"). And in the future you can just write "g palemoon" in your addressbar to search for "palemoon" in google. With my keywords i can use e.g. "y" for youtube-Search or "w" if i want to search wikipedia. Really fast - i couldnt live with that anymore. You can do this for any available search, just replace your search term with "%s" and set a key.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-13, 22:23

As an aside, you don't need an extension to use context search; that's part of Pale Moon already -- you can search for the selected text in what is chosen as your current search engine to use.
Attachments
selectsearch.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kosamja » 2017-08-15, 10:24

Moonchild wrote:Searching from the address bar on single terms may or may not work, since the browser has to guess from ambiguous input if what you paste is a domain name or search term if there aren't any other indicators. If there's multiple words, it's clear you "intended to search", but for single terms this becomes really ambiguous really quickly.
It always works with Omnibar> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/omnibar/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-19, 06:34

kosamja wrote:It always works with Omnibar>
All that does is offer omnibar suggestions for addresses and using search. That has nothing to do with actually entering a word in the address bar and launching that (enter/Go). It may avoid the issue of ambiguity but it will require active use of the drop-down instead of trying to open the single-term address (which is what the OP was talking about).

Khatharr

Unread post by Khatharr » 2017-10-01, 20:26

Avari wrote:hey Khatharr, i recommend the addon "Context Search X". You select your term and after a right click you can pick your search engine from the context menu.
The terms I'm searching are not coming from the browser.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-10-01, 21:27

Not sure if it is a search engine feature or a browser feature, but you can simply prefix anything you type into the url bar with ' ? ' to turn it into a search. If I want to search for "document.evaluate" Pale Moon will think it is an address. But if I type "?document.evaluate" into the url bar then it does a search on Duck Duck Go for "document.evaluate". No uncertainty weather you are searching or not, and don't have to deal with multiple bars.