The new Youtube design

General discussion and chat (archived)
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: The new Youtube design

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-24, 14:57

Night Wing wrote:Can you view the new "dark theme" YouTube has put in for their new design.
Yes, it works.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-09-24, 15:42

I actually like the new site design, it actually manages to be better than the last one and I only have to use two Stylish themes with it instead of the multitude of Stylish themes I as previously using with the last design!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-24, 15:48

Tomaso wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Can you view the new "dark theme" YouTube has put in for their new design.
Yes, it works.
Looks like I'll have to wait until version 27.5.0 is publicly released.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-24, 16:00

Night Wing wrote:Looks like I'll have to wait until version 27.5.0 is publicly released.
All the final v27.5.0 Windows builds are already up on the servers.
Just go to the download page, copy a download link, and change "27.4.2" / "27.4.2.1" to "27.5.0".

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-24, 17:28

Tomaso wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Looks like I'll have to wait until version 27.5.0 is publicly released.
All the final v27.5.0 Windows builds are already up on the servers.
Just go to the download page, copy a download link, and change "27.4.2" / "27.4.2.1" to "27.5.0".
Although the 27.5.0 version is up on the servers, if there is an unexpected glitch which might cause a problem, this is why it is not prudent to download the new version until Moonchild has publicly released it. In other words since I'm not in any hurry, "I'll wait". Thanks for your help.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-24, 18:03

Night Wing wrote:if there is an unexpected glitch which might cause a problem
Well, besides the nasty YouTube "issue", Dropbox needs a UA override to work (when using PM's default Firefox compatibility mode):
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... sues/1363/
But I doubt v27.5.0 will be pulled because of it. :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-26, 16:48

Updated to 27.5.0 in both linux and windows Pale Moon and the new YouTube design works. Saw the three vertical dots in YT and was able to change to the dark screen mode.

Thank you Moonchild for this fix in windows Pale Moon and thank you trava90 (Travis) for this fix in linux Pale Moon.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-09-27, 04:40

FYI, as we all know the UI redesign is too bad that I was about to report it as broken page in the 27.5.0 beta test cycle :crazy:

If you can, like me please stick to your factory You Tube app in your Android phone as the UI from these old versions are more "usable". :sick:

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-09-27, 07:08

Google really blundered this time. Managed to restore to the old design, and I'm able to play videos now but the HD option is still missing (only Auto & 360p is available). Youtube claimed PM 27.5 doesn't support MSE H.264. That's so silly. Videos on Youtube played just fine at 1080p 60fps yesterday, before the transition. :thumbdown:

I've sent feedback to Youtube/Google but frankly I'm unsure they're going to take it seriously.

Freezing Moon

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2017-09-27, 18:52

I thought I have problem with new YouTube design, but actually Adguard's Annoyance List cuts off top of the YouTube videos (around 10 %).
uBlock Origin 1.14.11rc5

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-09-28, 15:30

A user script that will successfully maintain the old layout for you: Get me Old YouTube. Using YouTube's own option does not really work.

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-29, 07:22

I dislike modern designs as well. It looks so ugly, makes everything hard to distinguish, and is a waste of modern hardware. I also hate modern design in general.
Off-topic:
Also, customization-wise, Windows 8 is worse than windows 3.1.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-29, 09:03

If nothing else, the new layout is very JS heavy which by itself will eat no less than 10-15% CPU on a modern system, as Travis&Tobin found out in testing.

We'll be using a site-specific useragent string for YouTube in our next update that will (as long as Google offers it) get the old YouTube web interface back, which should (combined with a video playback regression fix) make YouTube a bit more pleasant and lighter to use. I'm sure laptop users will enjoy the extra battery life as a result.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-09-29, 12:13

Moonchild wrote:If nothing else, the new layout is very JS heavy which by itself will eat no less than 10-15% CPU on a modern system.
That explains the excruciatingly slow loading on my laptop and when it finally did finish, some video thumbnails were missing.
Have Google never heard of the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't try fix it." :problem:
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-09-29, 13:35

hujan86 wrote:Have Google never heard of the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't try fix it." :problem:
It seems in this day and age; it is more related to, "Change just for the sake of change to enhance the user experience". ;)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-09-29, 13:35

We see the same thing everywhere these days..
The good old UIs are being replaced with these dumbed down, flat, monochrome, ugly looking things.
And somehow, while they're at it, they manage to turn them into slow, unresponsive resource hogs!

Another example is M$'s mail interface.
Hotmail used to have this nice, lightning fast layout.
..but now at outlook.com, we get this crap!:

Often I find myself having logged on and established that, no, I don't have any new mails..
Then I'd want to log out immediately, but can't.
Instead I have to wait around 10 seconds for the damn menus to appear, and perhaps even 5 seconds on top of that before they actually respond to anything!

Enabling the "Light version" used to allow users to opt out of this nonsense.
But of course, this option isn't available at outlook.com anymore. :(

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-09-29, 13:48

I don't like it, because it's slower and because the Download YouTube Videos as MP4 extension doesn't work with it.

To get the older design served set the "general.useragent.override.youtube.com" back to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.2

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2017-09-29, 15:49

Tomaso wrote:We see the same thing everywhere these days..
Another example is M$'s mail interface.
Hotmail used to have this nice, lightning fast layout.
..but now at outlook.com, we get this crap!:
I know that feeling. Similar thing happened to Yahoo Mail & Gmail. Though, I'd rate Yahoo as having the worse performance.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-29, 18:45

Moonchild wrote:If nothing else, the new layout is very JS heavy which by itself will eat no less than 10-15% CPU on a modern system, as Travis&Tobin found out in testing.

We'll be using a site-specific useragent string for YouTube in our next update that will (as long as Google offers it) get the old YouTube web interface back, which should (combined with a video playback regression fix) make YouTube a bit more pleasant and lighter to use. I'm sure laptop users will enjoy the extra battery life as a result.
Could some of it be as a result of not supporting custom elements? I've heard the new YouTube layout uses them, and bootstraps them if the browser doesn't support it. That aside, it annoys me that the video comes, then I have to wait forever until the actual web page shows up.

One thing I still hate, and always will hate, is floating headers. It's just a waste of my screen space. And it looks somewhat awkward to me because the scroll-bar shows next to the header, instead of being below it. (a-la the frames they're meant to copy.)

hujan86 wrote:I know that feeling. Similar thing happened to Yahoo Mail & Gmail. Though, I'd rate Yahoo as having the worse performance.
I have a style called "the return of old gmail". I'm not sure whether the original style works, because I edited it. (to look more like old gmail. Sides, accurate colors, etc) Unfortunately, though, a userstyle can't bring back the regular (sane) compose interface. :( Luckily, though, I don't actually send e-mails too often.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-10-01, 03:05

hujan86 wrote:Though, I'd rate Yahoo as having the worse performance.
Always use the Neo Basic version for my use: https://mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/launch