Private Window Mask Indicator Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
spinme

Private Window Mask Indicator

Unread post by spinme » 2017-09-23, 14:10

Version: 27.4.2 (32-bit)

The private window mask indicator appears to be fixed to the menu bar. Surely the mask should be movable like other icons so that users have a choice of placement?

I mostly have the Pale Moon Home button in mini mode & don't ever use the menu bar so it's not easy to spot when in a private window. As a workaround I've coloured the address bar light purple for a private window but this makes the address bar harder to read. If the mask was made moveable I'd currently place the mask with status bar items which are then overlaid onto the address bar & easy to read on a white background.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Private Window Mask Indicator

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-23, 16:23

What do you mean with "mini mode"?
If you use the application menu button instead of the menu bar, it will have the mask in it (and a purple color).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2017-09-23, 21:37

Ah mini mode! I use Hide Caption Titlebar Plus, the Pale Moon Home button is reduced to "P" + List all tabs button that's it no close button.

I use profiles a lot on an old PC 1Gb. Each user profile is taylored to a task to keep extension use reduced. This window allows most tabs, but with several windows open. printer,mail,news/social media/download/video + private window things get messy for me if not well colour signaled. When I get back to multi-screen + newer PC I won't be so pressured.

I used the PM home menu, I saw the mask on stick but then the page loads and a new icon replaces it!
So the visual clue is then reduced the purple P only among several blue P's. I should perhaps make a private profile but I only use PW in a hurry when I'm not sure my cookie settings,

I have also made the Green/Blue SSL URL Flags brighter with Classic Toolbar Buttons. I am not critical of PM it suits me well, its a question of tweaking what PM provides to be nearer my habits.

I thought moving the mask as possible on my old setup on FF for yrs was the easiest solution to what seems a simple bug. ;P

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-24, 10:29

Sounds to me like this is a problem with your hide caption titlebar plus extension then, that should retain the mask in the button in "mini mode" (or make it clearer otherwise), but doesn't.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2017-09-24, 18:09

OK, my apology! My error getting wordy caused comedy & confusion. Starting fresh, what I should have written :)

New profile, no changes, no add-ons!
Possible bug - Private Window Mask Indicator - the Mask should be movable by Customize like almost everything else in a Window (Mask is movable in FF)

Reason for reporting but having no involvement in what I consider a bug :>
My personal choice to use a mini Pure Moon Button, no Menu Bar & several Windows at once cause problems of my own making to identify the PW. There are many workarounds, inc use the Menu Bar & my workaround change the colour of the PW Address Bar.

Moonchild, you seem happy PM already offers sufficient alternate PW indicators.

I'm cool to use my existing workaround as a lone voice, and have time spent on squashing bigger PM bugs.
! think the address bar security information colours are a perfect match for the PM palette; I hope it never sounded different.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-24, 23:17

There is no confusion. The issue is pretty clear.

The mask is there in the menu bar if you use the menu bar. It is also there in the Pale Moon button if you use the Pale Moon button (in addition to a clearly different color of the button). Making the mask movable also means it becomes removable, and that is definitely something that would be a bad thing and leading to confusion if someone does that.

The reason YOU don't have a mask is because of your extension that doesn't retain the mask for private mode in the button when you use said "mini mode". If you wish a mask to be present in that situation, and find that the different color by itself isn't enough, then you should talk to the developers of HCTP to add it (or add it as an option).

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2017-09-25, 12:11

The important thing is that we agreed from the beginning on everything apart from the single sticking point!

My rambling & asides, what I called confusion, I believe had us talking past each other. A couple of points you just made have me think we still might not be meeting head on. We should have reached a conclusion a few messages back. :{

I have always said/thought my choices caused the problems when alternate options could have been taken. My last message was quite explicit. +If I had kept to your expectations then it seems to me Pale Moon offers more signposts than competitors.

My messages were painfully clear, colour in the address window is about MY NEEDS not you, Pale Moon users or the HCTP. I even described my current crappy old 1Gb PC that I'm forced to use while waiting for replacement top range kit. I didn't talk about the decent size screen that's been near a sunny window for at least 8yrs it came before the PC designed for 3Gb. My age? You had no reason to read my forum declared hobbies. :>)

Anyway, as per my last message, none of the above affect my feelings about the sticking point. The words just hint about how I treat office tools & furniture. Who keeps a PC & screen that long ready for the day a spare is required?

You the developer/owner decide why you took a moving component and made it fixed. My job as user is to scratch ass & ask you to revisit your choices when I get an itch. Mostly you stick to your guns, sometimes things change like when Firefox goes WE, you refocus!

There's no casting vote or democracy, thank goodness you shared one of the good reasons for fixing the Mask. Zorro will be relieved!
"Making the mask movable also means it becomes removable, and that is definitely something that would be a bad thing and leading to confusion if someone does that." Sounds like a good reason to me ..........

Let's get to the last caged animal quicker next time. We've got work to do. A dead parrot's still dead however many times we kick it!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-09-25, 20:15

I can give more reasons, too. ;)
How about: "The mask is not a control, it's an indicator. other indicators also can't be moved" (e.g. the RSS feed indicator or the bookmark star in the address bar, or the padlock, or the site's favicon, or ... )

You may question design choices, that's fine, and I welcome it if it would be a beneficial proposed change for the majority of users. But questioning design choices because they don't fit your particular unique workflow or setup is generally not something that will result in anything but a lot of back and forth with no change ;)

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2017-09-25, 22:24

Yes agreed ... no issue there ;)

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2017-09-29, 05:19

I really quickly created a style that will add the private browsing indicator onto the HCTP button, if it is of any use to you.

Code: Select all

#main-window[privatebrowsingmode=temporary] #hctp-appmenu-button > .button-box > .box-inherit > .button-icon {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/privatebrowsing-light.png");
  width: 20px;
  height: 16px;
}

spinme

Unread post by spinme » 2017-09-29, 18:56

Thanks RexyDallas for taking time to jot and post your snippet. It sounds a lot neater than what I was doing, I'll be sure to try it out over the weekend.