palemoon freeze at startup

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sa-On

palemoon freeze at startup

Unread post by Sa-On » 2017-09-16, 15:32

I've been running palemoon on 64bit linux mint xfce (currently 27.4.2). I've been keeping up with every update. Since around mid summer (so that's a few releases earlier) palemoon would freeze up in a middle of a session after I go back and forth between links or even simply scrolling up and down. When it does freeze up, it affects not just palemoon but also the whole screen -- I can move the cursor around, but I can no longer click the mouse, and xterm does not get activated when I move the mouse over (I set "focus over mouse") so I cannot kill palemoon. I do have dual monitor, and interesting enough the mouse/terminal all work on the monitor not running palemoon. Even so, the only way to restore the function of the frozen screen is to kill xfce4-session, resulting in an auto-logout (and kill all the jobs currently running) --- "kill -9 (id of palemoon)" kills the job but the frozen palemoon remains.

At first I thought that this is caused by bad scripts from sites, but last night I was able to reproduce this problem from scratch, as follows: I disabled all user scripts, restarted palemoon, and then used the touchpad to scroll up and down the screen. Within a few seconds palemoon would freeze up. Next, I moved
.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon
to a temp directory and restart palemoon from scratch, and interesting enough, palemoon no longer freeze. Finally, when I move the original palemoon directory back, it freezes again.

I do not have this problem with chrome and firefox, so I doubt that this is a hardware/dual-monitor issue.

Question: What could cause this problem and how do I fix this? I'd be happy to submit debugging logs but I don't know how to generate them.

THANKS!

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: palemoon freeze at startup

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-18, 18:29

As you have already found, problem lies in your profile. Your add-ons or modified preferences are the likey culprits, specifically preferences related to graphics / acceleration. Reset your preferences by ticking appropriate checkbox in safe-mode dialog and continuing. Once you verify problem no longer appears, you can start changing your preferences back to your liking. If that doesn't work, you may try "Refresh Pale Moon".

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: palemoon freeze at startup

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-09-18, 20:45

Sa-On wrote:When it does freeze up, it affects not just palemoon but also the whole screen -- I can move the cursor around, but I can no longer click the mouse, and xterm does not get activated when I move the mouse over (I set "focus over mouse") so I cannot kill palemoon. I do have dual monitor, and interesting enough the mouse/terminal all work on the monitor not running palemoon. Even so, the only way to restore the function of the frozen screen is to kill xfce4-session, resulting in an auto-logout (and kill all the jobs currently running) --- "kill -9 (id of palemoon)" kills the job but the frozen palemoon remains.
Rather than kill xfec4-session, have you tried…

Code: Select all

killall palemoon
…in the auxillary monitor?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀