uBlock Origin listing (AMO vs. GitHub)

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

uBlock Origin listing (AMO vs. GitHub)

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-31, 11:52

Raymond Hill is making available only the hybrid and soon the put Web Extension edition of uBlock Origin at AMO. Also, uBlock Origin will no longer automatically update, nor will we receive notifications.

To install uB0 now, Pale Moon users have to go to the releases page at GitHub and select the appropriate link (as outlined in this tutorial.)

So the question is, shouldn't the Pale Moon Add-ons site point to the uB0 Releases page at GitHub rather than AMO? This would help stop the confusion some users may be experiencing, as discussed in another thread.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: uBlock Origin listing (AMO vs. GitHub)

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-08-31, 12:21

I will change the link over soon.

If anybody wants to reach out to Raymond with regards to hosting on the Add-ons Site they are free to do so (we've tried in the past with little success).

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-31, 18:00

What if someone made a port or fork of uBlock Origin that was basically taking the code for the XUL edition and re-branding it as uBlock Origin Lunar or something? Could that be done legally since it is open-source software if certain changes were made? And then that port could be hosted on APMO?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-08-31, 18:50

So long as it complies with the licensing of uBlock Origin (GPLv3), I see no issue with it. :)

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/blob/ ... ICENSE.txt

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-31, 19:46

What I want to know is what specifically needs to change besides the title of extension.
There is some unique string somewhere that needs to change as well?
And what else?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-31, 20:08

gracious1 wrote:And what else?
First of all, you have to provide full support for such a forked add-on, are you ready for this? I think it's better even don't start to discuss this option, if not.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-09-01, 07:14

JustOff wrote:
gracious1 wrote:And what else?
First of all, you have to provide full support for such a forked add-on, are you ready for this? I think it's better even don't start to discuss this option, if not.
Not necessarily planning to take this one myself. I just need more information at this point.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-09-01, 10:53

I have updated the links to point to GitHub for both uBlock and uMatrix. :)

Interestingly, I noticed the following was posted on uBlock's reddit recently (link):
I would rather have someone step forward and volunteer to upload to Pale Moon's repo. I've already way too much to do. Just like volunteers stepped forward to port uBO to Edge and Safari versions. Easier in the current case because there is nothing to port, just merely to upload the latest stable uBlock0.firefox.xpi from the Releases section to Pale Moon add-ons repo. Thanks in advanced to whoever volunteer.

Also, I would appreciate that whoever volunteer to upload to Pale Moon to volunteer to handle Pale Moon-specific issues, this is one thing which is sorely missing on uBO's issue tracker: people to volunteer to validate/invalidate/reproduce/sort issues, I end up spending way too much time on this, this can't continue like this.
So, if someone wants to step up to upload new (official?) versions to the Add-ons Site and potentially fix any Pale Moon-specific issues that may arise, please do let Raymond know and we can work something out. :thumbup: