WhatsApp Web again (pasting images from clipboard)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dr_st

WhatsApp Web again (pasting images from clipboard)

Unread post by dr_st » 2017-07-16, 06:47

Generally, since the transition to Pale Moon 27, most functionality of Whatsapp Web interface has been working well.

One thing that's not working properly is the ability to paste images from the clipboard. The functionality works in the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox, using any of the following methods: Ctrl+V, Shift+Ins or rightclicking the message box and hitting paste. If there is an image in the clipboard, it opens a "preview" window where you can add a description and send the image.

In Pale Moon, up to 27.4.0, this does not work. Funnily, I think it worked erratically once or twice, but generally it does not. I tried it on multiple computers and multiple operating systems. I also tried modifying the UI override to masquerade either as latest Chrome or latest Firefox to no effect.

WhatsApp Web interface is notoriously annoying, and this is clearly an interoperability problem, not an inherent lack of feature support. Evidently, in the Telegram Web client image pasting from the clipboard works just fine in Pale Moon.

Since WhatsApp tech support is not willing to help you if you are not on one of the mainstream browsers, I want to try to figure out a solution from the Pale Moon side. Any tips on how I can debug it? What information would be useful to provide to help figure out the issue?

lyceus

Re: WhatsApp Web again (pasting images from clipboard)

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-07-17, 01:59

Actually this happens a lot with Facebook too.

You try to copy an paste information back/to Facebook UI and you get nothing, nitch, nada. I think that maybe the JS of these sites filter the contents of the clipboard if is not a supported browser. This can made sense if you copy and paste an URL, as they add some extra info for track the clicks made in the link. I had tried to pass the info from another application like Notepad++ and sometimes works and other not.

The spoof UA included in Pale Moon often fix most of these troubles but not all. Also remember that Pale Moon do not implement some DRM and HTML5 bits around this and maybe these sites "poke" these bits for determine if a browser is "supported".

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2017-07-17, 07:41

How does one proceed to determine what's going wrong? I.e., is it the JS on the server side or a missing implementation on the browser end?

Text copy&paste works on Whatsapp Web (and Telegram Web). Image paste works for me only on Telegram Web. I have not tried Facebook.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-07-17, 16:04

See also viewtopic.php?f=29&p=115223#p115254

DataTransfer is not implemented.

seanb81

Unread post by seanb81 » 2017-07-20, 15:45

if "datatransfer" isnt implemented, does that mean thats the end of the road for this working? no plugin/work around/branch/beta code/etc?

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-07-22, 03:41

seanb81 wrote:if "datatransfer" isnt implemented, does that mean thats the end of the road for this working? no plugin/work around/branch/beta code/etc?
The comment "not implemented" doesn't mean, "we will never look about this".

For example finally video works decently in this version, not perfect, not all sites but at least works in all mayor players most times.

Please understand that we are a bunch of nerds that work for the love of art and most of us do not get a payment. So we need to made a list and seek what bug or feature need to be fixed or added. Video won in this round. :mrgreen:

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2017-08-01, 17:01

lyceus wrote:Please understand that we are a bunch of nerds that work for the love of art and most of us do not get a payment. So we need to made a list and seek what bug or feature need to be fixed or added. Video won in this round. :mrgreen:
It makes perfect sense, and I think the priorities are set correctly. :) It would be good, however, if this requirement is at least on the list of things to eventually get to. As it is now, even basic posting on Gitlab does not work for me... (although that may be a different issue)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-08-07, 01:24

dr_st wrote:It makes perfect sense, and I think the priorities are set correctly. :) It would be good, however, if this requirement is at least on the list of things to eventually get to. As it is now, even basic posting on Gitlab does not work for me... (although that may be a different issue)
I suffer of this bug too, my workaround is to use a "middle man" app that strips all the codes and get the plain text like Notepad++ and then paste back to the webpage.

dr_st

Unread post by dr_st » 2017-10-11, 07:19

dr_st wrote:One thing that's not working properly is the ability to paste images from the clipboard....Funnily, I think it worked erratically once or twice, but generally it does not.
I figured out when it works (in Pale Moon) and when it does not. If you copy an image file (an actual file on your drive) into the clipboard, then paste it into WhatsApp Web, it recognizes it as an image and allows you to send it. Apparently, some image viewing tools (e.g., Windows 10 Photos), when you open an and "copy" into clipboard, take the whole file, and so it can be pasted into WhatsApp Web. Others (like IrfanView) only copy the image meta-data, and so it cannot be pasted. And of course anything that does not have a file behind it (like a screenshot in memory) cannot be pasted.

Maybe this can give a clue as to the implementation gap here.