How to install the latest version of Session Manager in Pale Moon 27.x Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

GigaWatt

How to install the latest version of Session Manager in Pale Moon 27.x

Unread post by GigaWatt » 2016-12-08, 23:33

I've used the same method mentioned in this post for modding the .xpi installer for this add-on. Currently, the last version that Pale Moon can update through the "Check for Updates" feature is 0.8.1.7. The latest version is 0.8.1.12.

Even though the same method applies from the mentioned thread, I'll post it here as well.

One more thing. I removed the previous version (0.8.1.7) from my add-ons and backed up my sessions before I did this, so... it might be a good idea to do this as well. Pale Moon didn't crash after I installed the latest version and the add-on worked, so I just restored all of my sessions in the session folder afterwards. But... just in case something does go wrong, it's a good thing to keep a backup of your sessions. Also, note the version of Session Manager that was installed in Pale Moon and worked properly before you install the new one (again, better be safe than sorry).

1) Download the installer (the .xpi file) for Session Manager (right click on the "Add to Firefox" button --> Save Link As...).

2) Extract the content of the .xpi file with any archiver (WInRAR, 7-zip...).

3) Find the install.rdf file and open it with any text editor (Notepad, Notepad++).

4) Find these two lines in the code:

Code: Select all

<em:minVersion>38.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>48.0</em:maxVersion>
5) In the first line, change 38.0 to 20.0. Any different version number lower or equal to 27.0 might have worked also, but... I haven't tried it. You don't have to change anything in the second line. I did, but it was for testing purposes and didn't change it back.

Anyway, here is how I changed these two lines.

Code: Select all

<em:minVersion>20.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>80.0</em:maxVersion>
6) Save the changes to install.rdf (Ctrl + S).

7) Pack the extracted files in a zip archive. I used WinRAR, but any archiver that can pack files in a zip archive will do. Remeber, don't pack the folder in which the files are extracted, just pack the files themselves.

8) Change the extension of the archive from .zip to .xpi.

9) Drag and drop the .xpi file in Pale Moon.

10) Done :).

Again, as I mentioned in the linked post in the beginning of this thread, I haven't read the license under which this add-on is released, so I have no idea if can share the modded .xpi file. If someone has more info, send me a private message, I'll attach it to this thread.

The same method should be applicable under Linux too... except the tools you'll be using ;).

PS: The linked post has some logical and spelling errors... I was in a hurry, so I didn't double check. I tried to correct them afterwards, but I can't seem to find any way to edit the post. Is there any way regular users can edit posts?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to install the latest version of Session Manager in Pale Moon 27.x

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-09, 00:51

For the record, AMO states Session Manager is FOSS and doesn't mention any specific restrictions:
Released under Mozilla Public License Version 1.1
So, redistributing an install.rdf-modified version of the XPI should be fine; just remember to remove the jar signature files (The META-INF folder) from it to prevent potential file checksum mismatches.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GigaWatt

Unread post by GigaWatt » 2016-12-09, 23:56

Moonchild wrote:For the record, AMO states Session Manager is FOSS and doesn't mention any specific restrictions:
...just remember to remove the jar signature files (The META-INF folder) from it to prevent potential file checksum mismatches.
Done ;).

I've attached the latest modded version in this post.

If this is against the forum policy, I'll be more careful in the future.

Moderator note: it is against forum policy. Attachment removed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-11, 09:39

GigaWatt wrote:If this is against the forum policy
It's fine, but probably better to contact Andy to get it on the add-ons site.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

batman

Unread post by batman » 2017-03-10, 14:58

Hey buddy and thanks for the upload share. Should the addon be running in compatibility mode? Just wondering...

GigaWatt wrote:
Moonchild wrote:For the record, AMO states Session Manager is FOSS and doesn't mention any specific restrictions:
...just remember to remove the jar signature files (The META-INF folder) from it to prevent potential file checksum mismatches.
Done ;).

I've attached the latest modded version in this post.

If this is against the forum policy, I'll be more careful in the future.

twistedvincent

Unread post by twistedvincent » 2017-03-16, 04:33

OK, still confused. I downloaded the xpi as before but just dragged it on to pale moon and it installed but not now, i ffeel stupid but still don't get how to install. Please explain as if I were a noob...which I feel like right about now.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-04-06, 20:55

twistedvincent wrote:OK, still confused. I downloaded the xpi as before but just dragged it on to pale moon and it installed but not now, i ffeel stupid but still don't get how to install. Please explain as if I were a noob...which I feel like right about now.
I'm attaching the latest version which seems to work fine. MinVersion set to 20, META-INF removed. Just go to the Add-ons Manager, click the wheel (top-right), Install Add-On from file and select the attached .xpi. (sent a PM to Andy)
webmaster wrote:Hey buddy and thanks for the upload share. Should the addon be running in compatibility mode?
If you mean the Firefox Compatibility mode found in Options/Advanced/General/Compatibility then no. This option has nothing to do with how extensions operate.

Moderator note: edited extension removed. Please follow proper procedure to publish modified extensions.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-06, 21:14

Is the modified extension, with MinVersion set to 20, META-INF removed, available somewhere outside this forum?

Thanks!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-06-07, 00:43

VLMin wrote:Is the modified extension, with MinVersion set to 20, META-INF removed, available somewhere outside this forum?

Sent you a copy by private message, modified as per this thread.
I know it will install, but don't know how well it functions (I don't use it). Please post publicly if there are problems with it.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-07, 13:36

Thank you! Installed, using now.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-06-07, 15:19

There is Moon Tester Tool for such experiments.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-07, 18:08

JustOff wrote:There is Moon Tester Tool for such experiments.
Yes, thank you for the reminder. I've been a bit scared to try it, I suppose. For now, I'll use the gift I was given and see whether it works. So far, so good!

infti
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by infti » 2017-06-29, 15:45

Can somebody please provide clear instructions? I am a fairly advanced user and I cannot understand what people have posted here.

All I need is a url for a session manager which works and any instructions that are necessary beyond what is on the page for that session manager.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-07-01, 17:26

I said I would use the current version, generously provided by coffeebreak, and report back. I had a variety of problems with it and reverted back to 0.8.1.7, which works flawlessly. It might be nice if someone in the PM community were to take over that extension and develop it further; there are certainly features that would be nice to have, such as a context menu with options to copy various components of the individual tab entries. But honestly, in the larger scheme of things, this version seems quite sufficient to me.

GigaWatt

Unread post by GigaWatt » 2017-07-16, 04:34

infti wrote:Can somebody please provide clear instructions? I am a fairly advanced user and I cannot understand what people have posted here.
Sorry for the delayed answer. I really want to be a part of this community. I use Pale Moon every day and I recommend it to almost everyone I know. Even my fiance uses it on her phone ;) and she just picked it up from the store, didn't have to tell her, she just loved the way it worked on her laptop, so she got it from the store :D. She said "what is this crappy browser on my phone" and I said "It's Chome honey" and then she said "so what did you install on my laptop" and I said "Pale Moon" and she replied "God, I hope there is one for Android" :D :D :D.

Sometimes I wish a day had 48 hours... just for me... :roll:

Anyway, I thought the process was clear enough. I forgot to mention the deletion of the "META-INF" folder, but other than that, the process of modding the extension is pretty straight forward. Edit the "install.rdf", compress the files in a zip archive, change the extension to .xpi and drag and drop the .xpi file in Pale Moon. If you're and advanced user, this shouldn't be a problem (extracting files from archives with dubious file extensions, changing them and whatnot).

Here is screenshot of what DiE says about the .xpi file. It's not rocket science ;).

I installed the latest version, 0.8.1.13, just by modding the install.rdf file and deleting the META-INF folder. No problems so far ;).

they86

Unread post by they86 » 2017-11-22, 02:34

For what the "DRAG & DROP"-part is concerned: it might be useful to note that this ONLY WORKS when you have Pale Moon OPEN ON THE ADD-ON MANAGER PAGE, tab "EXTENSIONS"...

I was checking the different steps on this forum and trying the drag & drop in vain for several times... :d
So it works, if you have Pale Moon open on the correct page.

I'm surely not the only newbee who will be making this mistake, so hence this post.

they86

Unread post by they86 » 2017-11-22, 03:01

VLMin wrote:I said I would use the current version, generously provided by coffeebreak, and report back. I had a variety of problems with it and reverted back to 0.8.1.7, which works flawlessly. It might be nice if someone in the PM community were to take over that extension and develop it further; there are certainly features that would be nice to have, such as a context menu with options to copy various components of the individual tab entries. But honestly, in the larger scheme of things, this version seems quite sufficient to me.

Hi VLMin, what were the "variety of problems" you encountered with the latest version of session manager applied to Pale Moon?

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-11-22, 12:20

they86 wrote:Hi VLMin, what were the "variety of problems" you encountered with the latest version of session manager applied to Pale Moon?
Hello they86. Unfortunately, I did not retain my notes on this, and I don't clearly remember. I just remember that switching back seemed to make things go a bit more smoothly.

More generally, my impression is that Session Manager has not been meaningfully updated in years. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are things (that seem obvious to me, at least) that this add-on could be enhanced to do, that would render it more useful than it presently is.

Alas, in the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.