pminstaller.sh problem on Manjaro

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
JustOff

pminstaller.sh problem on Manjaro

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-11, 12:42

I have a problem installing Pale Moon on Manjaro XFCE 17.0.2 using pminstaller.sh. It shows that Pale Moon is already installed, while it is not.

pminstaller.sh uses this code to detect Pale Moon presence:

Code: Select all

pm_is_installed ()
{
which palemoon || [[ -d /opt/palemoon ]] || [[ -d /usr/lib/palemoon ]]
}
and it always returns true because of /usr/lib/palemoon exists, even when Pale Moon not installed.

PS: I'm aware that Manjaro has Pale Moon in AUR, but it would be nice if pminstaller.sh also worked.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: pminstaller.sh problem on Manjaro

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-11, 13:33

Why would /usr/lib/palemoon exist if it is not installed?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-11, 13:43

This is because in Manjaro there is a config for Pale Moon package:

$ head -5 /usr/lib/palemoon/distribution/distribution.ini 
[Global]
id=Manjaro
version=Rolling
about=Palemoon for Manjaro

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-11, 14:03

Then why aren't you using the package manager?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-11, 14:11

Simply as I wrote above:
it would be nice if pminstaller.sh also worked
Isn't it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-11, 16:54

Why? so you can have even more confusion about what people are using? XD

If the check in the script needs to be made more specific, it's of course an option. But it needs to remain generally applicable to all distros, so -too- specific won't work either because then you'll get the opposite: the script thinking the browser isn't installed, while it is...

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-11, 17:54

Moonchild wrote:Why? so you can have even more confusion about what people are using? XD
Let's say I don't trust this AUR package (btw, I don't see it officially endorsed at http://linux.palemoon.org/) and therefore I want to use pminstaller.sh?
If the check in the script needs to be made more specific, it's of course an option.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. It would be nice.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-11, 18:08

If you don't trust the package, then you don't trust the package maintainer, and in turn don't trust the Manjaro project being run in a sane way. It did, after all, make it in the official distribution, or am I missing something here?
JustOff wrote:It would be nice.
(non-breaking) patches welcome

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-11, 18:28

Moonchild wrote:It did, after all, make it in the official distribution, or am I missing something here?
I don't know, so I would be grateful to you or Travis for any details on this matter.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-07-12, 04:20

I thought the AUR and Manjaro packages were official... In fact, they are.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-12, 04:40

May I suggest force. If installer detects Pale Moon is already installed, an option can be given to forcefully continue or a help message to rerun the installer with --force if user feels detection is wrong.
./pminstaller.sh --force
“Don’t underestimate the Force.”

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-12, 04:44

hobbledehoy899 wrote:I thought the AUR and Manjaro packages were official... In fact, they are.
Not quite.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Arch_User_Repository wrote:Warning: Use the AUR at your own risk! Support will not be provided by the Manjaro team for any issues that may arise relating to software installations from the AUR.
BTW I'm an Arch Linux user.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-07-12, 05:56

adesh wrote:Not quite.
Then why are they listed as being such???

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-07-12, 06:12

Last I knew Manjaro included repacks of the Pale Moon binaries I build in their repo. You can simply enter

pacman -S palemoon
JustOff wrote:
Moonchild wrote:It did, after all, make it in the official distribution, or am I missing something here?
I don't know, so I would be grateful to you or Travis for any details on this matter.
As stated above, the packages in Manjaro's repo are simply repacks of the tarballs I produce. The AUR, however is a different story. The majority of the AUR "maintainers" have been very unwilling (putting it nicely) to conform to our standards and as such those packages cannot be endorsed as official (and should not be used to due known stability issues and/or the totally insane build configurations being used).
hobbledehoy899 wrote:I thought the AUR and Manjaro packages were official... In fact, they are.
No, they are not. Where are they being listed as official?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-12, 06:19

hobbledehoy899 wrote: Then why are they listed as being such???
Off-topic:
I suggest you read AUR wiki page on Arch Linux. These packages are not provided by the distribution but by the community so that most of the software is easily available for users to install. It's upto the user to trust these packages and be responsible for any damage. The distribution is mostly providing the infrastructure to host the packages.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-12, 08:57

trava90 wrote:Last I knew Manjaro included repacks of the Pale Moon binaries I build in their repo.
Well, it seems I confused AUR with a package from Manjaro's repo, but the latter also does not look like a just repack:
vmware_2017-07-12_11-43-49.png

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2017-07-12, 09:45

I may be wrong, but I thought the mentioned AUR package (palemoon-bin) is just a repack of the official binaries, and the Manjaro package is not.

As for the AUR package "palemoon-bin": I've never used it (yet), but there's these two lines in the PKGBUILD file:
source_i686=("palemoon-$pkgver.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2::http://linux.palemoon.org/installer/dow ... ver&a=i686")
source_x86_64=("palemoon-$pkgver.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2::http://linux.palemoon.org/installer/dow ... r&a=x86_64")
Unless I'm completely wrong (which may very well be the case, because I'm actually not very familiar with the structure of PKGBUILD files), this means that installing this package will simply download the official binaries from linux.palemoon.org.
It's different for other packages, of course (such as "palemoon" without "-bin", which I assume will compile Pale Moon from the source code locally on your computer).

As for the Manjaro package, as JustOff already mentioned, there are these two lines "Palemoon for Manjaro" and "Manjaro - Rolling" in "Help" > "About Pale Moon". That's why I assumed that the Manjaro packages are custom builds.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-12, 10:51

Toa-Nuva wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought the mentioned AUR package (palemoon-bin) is just a repack of the official binaries, and the Manjaro package is not.
You are right.
I'm currently using palemoon-bin from AUR. People willing to compile can use the version without -bin; I personally cannot afford the compilation costs, also mozconfig is not sane.
But I've no experience with Manjaro so cannot say anything about that package.