DNS leak

General discussion and chat (archived)
oscar

DNS leak

Unread post by oscar » 2017-07-10, 12:08

palemoon leaks my "true" ip all though I have a vpn provider. I tried extended tests via dnsleaktest.com and others, and the result always shows 2 ip's . I have no leaks with firefox. I hope that you, moonchild, or anybody else can help me out. any user settings to be enabled or disabled?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: DNS leak

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-10, 12:53

Your issue is with the "VPN" provider in that case. Most likely it's a glorified proxy and nothing else.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-07-10, 20:02

I hope not. the company ranks high at thatoneprivacy guy's list. I'm by no means a tech savvy. I just took it for granted that since I have no leak with FF, it had to be some setting with pale moon browser.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-07-10, 20:10

oscar wrote:palemoon leaks my "true" ip all though I have a vpn provider.
I just tried this with Pale Moon and my VPN provider, and it's working just fine. Standard and extended tests both only show the VPN provider's DNS servers, no DNS leak here. I have to concur with Moonchild on this, looks like it's your VPN provider, not Pale Moon.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-07-11, 09:35

@nigaikaze
I guess so. I'll have to check it out. I use ubuntu linux. that could be part of the problem. I haveno idea. like I said; i'm no tech savvy. anyways: thank you, Nigaikaze, for taking your time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-11, 12:06

Pale Moon uses the system's DNS services. If you have a true VPN, then that will be directed through the remote gateway.
If you instead have a "proxy disguised as VPN" then it depends on if DNS lookups are performed through the proxy or not. The "VPN" setup most likely told Firefox, a known browser, to do this. But Pale Moon, likely unknown, did not get this set in its options.

Despite how high it ranks on some guy's list, it may not be what you think it is.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-07-11, 13:29

oscar wrote:I use ubuntu linux. that could be part of the problem.
You're welcome. Just FYI, I'm on LInux Mint 17.3, which is based on Ubuntu.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-07-12, 18:29

@moonchild
thank you for the explanation. it makes sense.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-07-18, 11:15

My VPN doesn't leak using PM. I use vpn.ac.

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-07-18, 17:57

it turns out, that it probably is a problem with ubuntus network manager and the way it handles openvpn. I've decided to switch over to another vpn provider ( with the same emphasis on privacy and ethics ) that delivers a much easier installation guide aimed specifically at buntu but with another client than network manager

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-07-18, 18:02

ps
forgot to mention that DNS leaks started showing up at FF the other day; so new provider :coffee: