No YouTube?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ThirdTryCharm

No YouTube?

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2017-07-06, 19:35

Starting this morning I cannot watch Youtube videos. I get a black screen and "An error has occurred retry later" and a "Youtube Error 1"

Using 27.3.0, and nothing has changed from yesterday when it was all working fine. Currently have to use FFx. Gggrrrr.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: No YouTube?

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-07-06, 19:45

Youtube videos are working fine for me here. What distro (and version) are you running?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-06, 20:28

YouTube videos play for me. Render properly. Sound is fine. No lagging. All buttons work for each video. Settings work.

My default operating system is 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) in the Xfce desktop environment using 64 bit Pale Moon (27.3.0).

Enable Media Source Extensions MSE is enabled (checked) and Enable MSE for MP4video is also enabled (checked). The user agent mode I'm using is Firefox Compatibility.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2017-07-07, 14:48

Hmmm, thanks. Ubuntu 14.04-LTS (x64)

This morning there is no error message, the spinner just keeps spinning. I did some Add-ons checking and Youtube is detecting uBlock Origin and blocking the video.

I reset uBlock back to all the most benign settings and still no video, just the spinner. I disabled uBlock and voila, video.

FFx (54.0 x64) also has uBlock with the same settings, but I get video.

I prefer uBlock to Adblock Latitude, but I did just install Latitude it to see if that made any difference and videos work OK as long as I have uBlock disabled.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-07-07, 15:07

ThirdTryCharm wrote:I did some Add-ons checking and Youtube is detecting uBlock Origin and blocking the video.
Intriguing. I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 x64, which is based on Ubuntu 14.04, and I also use uBlock Origin, and I am still not having any trouble watching Youtube videos. I wonder if this difference is due to a regional difference on Youtube's end (I'm in the midwest USA) or due to a specific filter list?

Two tests I can think of trying: 1) ensure that ABL is using the exact same filter lists as uBlock and see if videos end up blocked; 2) disable ABL, reenable uBlock and then disable your uBlock filter lists one by one to see if disabling a specific filter list lets you play videos with uBlock.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-07-07, 16:51

youtube has also stopped working for me when ublock origin is enabled. will tinker with filters and report back when i find something

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2017-07-07, 20:13

fillerup wrote:youtube has also stopped working for me when ublock origin is enabled. will tinker with filters and report back when i find something
Ahhhh, good news! :)

Nope, do not have a solution, but I mean it is good news to me, that someone else is having th same issue. I all too often seem to manage to catch the weird issues.

No matter what I try, so long as uBlock is enabled Youtube is not. The FFx settings for uBlock are identical and it works fine. I have not found anything to change in ABL that makes any difference it always works as long as uBlock is disabled.

I suspect it is a plan by Youtube to block the blockers. :) They are testing it on a lesser-used bowser first.

Wait for it, I wonder if "Do no Evil" is planning some Evil anyway!

ThirdTryCharm

Unread post by ThirdTryCharm » 2017-07-07, 20:20

OK, fixed, I think.

In uBlock
I updated the Filters
Cleared all cache
Disabled "My filters"
Clicked "Update"
Enabled "My Filters"
and YT started working again.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-07-08, 09:01

yep that was the problematic filter. disabling and reenabling it didn't work, but clearing the cache like you did hit the sweet spot