Video/audio stops playing when switching to other tab

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Video/audio stops playing when switching to other tab

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-06-18, 23:22

Cannot figure out how to keep media content playing in an inactive tab. Some time ago I think i switched something in the config. Can anyone tell me a possible way to revert?
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Video/audio stops playing when switching to other tab

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-19, 03:13

If you think a change you made to your profile has caused this change from what you had before then you could try Pale Moon in a "clean" profile to verify doing this will get back what you had before. If a "clean" (default) profile does not "revert" to when you had "inactive" tabs that continue to play media content it would have to be something else like possibly an add-on change that would be the cause.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a pref setting that impacts this, in my case media content plays when I am on another tab (which is what you want) - but I'm not aware of what in the profile would change that.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2017-06-19, 05:16

Check that these settings are at default (true).

Code: Select all

media.autoplay.allowscripted;true
media.autoplay.enabled;true

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-06-19, 15:10

Also look to see if you set either of these preferences:

media.block-play-until-visible
media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground
By default they are not listed in Pale Moon's about:config, and I'm not sure if either of them actually work in Pale Moon, but they are apparently used for blocking media playing in background tabs in recent versions of Firefox.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-19, 15:29

Nigaikaze wrote:Also look to see if you set either of these preferences:

media.block-play-until-visible
media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground
By default they are not listed in Pale Moon's about:config, and I'm not sure if either of them actually work in Pale Moon, but they are apparently used for blocking media playing in background tabs in recent versions of Firefox.
No, we don't have those preferences.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite