set all add-ons to the same update policy: autocheck but ask before install - possible?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lew Rockwell Fan

set all add-ons to the same update policy: autocheck but ask before install - possible?

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2017-06-17, 21:28

Is there a way to set all extensions to the same update policy simultaneously without having to open the "more" on each individually? This is not quite the same as asking how to change the default, although I'd like to know that also. Nor is it an enforced default. You'd still be free to go and change individual add-on's update policy afterwards.

Specifically I want to change all add-ons to check for updates automatically, but to ask before downloading or installing them. There is a firefox add on that sounds like it does this - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-checker/ - and it is on the "Known Incompatible Add-ons" page with the notation "(We have this functionality built-in)" but I can't seem to find it. Possibly I've misunderstood what that add-on does anyway, but be that as it may, I want to do what I described in the first paragraph. Is it possible?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: set all add-ons to the same update policy: autocheck but ask before install - possible?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-17, 22:37

Disabling automatic update will still check for updates but not automatically install.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: set all add-ons to the same update policy: autocheck but ask before install - possible?

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2017-06-18, 01:57

Thank you. Great av, BTW.
Moonchild wrote:Disabling automatic update . . .
Meaning set "app.update.auto" in about:config to "false"?
That's the only thing like that I have found. In the menu Edit-prefs-advanced-update, under "Automatically update:" it has check box beside "search engines" and nothing else. Am I missing something?
Moonchild wrote: . . . will still check for updates but not automatically install.
And pop up a notice of some sort when it finds an update available and give me the option?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-06-18, 06:55

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Meaning set "app.update.auto" in about:config to "false"?

No, that controls automatic update of the browser.
It's extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault - set to "false".

Or in the alternative, go to the Add-ons Manager (about:addons), click the gear at top of page, and in the drop-down list uncheck "Update Add-ons Automatically".
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:And pop up a notice of some sort...?

IIRC, it displays a notice next to an add-on if an update is available, but there is no pop-up to solicit your attention. You have to check the Add-ons Manager.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2017-06-18, 16:15

Thank you. Those are both helpful answers, but just to be clear:
coffeebreak wrote:. . . It's extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault - set to "false".

Or in the alternative, go to the Add-ons Manager (about:addons), click the gear at top of page, and in the drop-down list uncheck "Update Add-ons Automatically".
Thank you. From the name of the config setting, I assume that addresses:
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:. . . not quite the same as asking how to change the default, although I'd like to know that also.
And as for the primary question:
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Is there a way to set all extensions to the same update policy simultaneously without having to open the "more" on each individually?
am I right in inferring that the answer is:

"No. Individual extension settings of "on", "off", or "default", can only be changed in the "more" page for each extension, one at a time."
coffeebreak wrote: but there is no pop-up to solicit your attention. You have to check the Add-ons Manager.
So, if I've understood you correctly, the function of the Firefox add-on referred to in the opening post which, per the description on the linked page, is to periodically check all addons for available updates and actively notify the user if any are available, leaving the choice of updating to the user, is, in fact, NOT built-in to Pale Moon, contrary to to what's noted on the "Known Incompatible Add-ons" page. Is that correct? Worth trying old versions, maybe?

---------------------
For anyone curious about HOW that addon is incompatible: I installed it & checked it out. For me it didn't do anything. No options added to the menu. No button available in the customize pane. Even if it "worked", without the button to change color, it would have no mechanism for active notification. So I removed it.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-06-18, 21:24

That setting changes update behavior for all add-ons. If set to false, automatic update checks will be performed for every add-on, but the updates are not downloaded/installed.

If an update is available, you are passively notified in the Add-ons Manager, but as mentioned earlier, you do have to open it up and look. The notices will display in the add-ons list (don't have to open "more" to see it).

The "Extensions" section will display a notice along with your currently installed version info.
There will also be an "Available Updates" section that lists the versions to which you would be updating - plus release notes.

"Extensions"
updateNow-exts.png
"Available Updates"
updateNow-available.png