RE: TimeLineRemove.com addon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mousewarp

Unread post by mousewarp » 2013-02-09, 00:43

Hi,

I would love to use Pale Moon, however if I cannot install TimeLineRemove.com addon then it is useless to me, the addon can be found here: http://www.timelineremove.com/

This is the error I receive when trying to install this plugin; "TimeLineRemove.com could not be installed because Pale Moon cannot modify the needed file"

Very irritating as I can find no answers to this anywhere, and would appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Thank You for any response sent...

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: RE: TimeLineRemove.com addon

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-02-09, 02:12

Welcome to the forum! :) Regret I can't reproduce your problem - have just done a trial install of TimeLineRemove from your link and all went smoothly - the TimeLineRemove.Com 1.1.0 Plugin is sitting "enabled" in my Add-ons Manager. All looks ok but can't test further as I don't use Facebook/Social Media.

This would suggest the problem is somewhere in your particular computer's OS/AV/Pale Moon configuration? Perhaps another forum member who does use Facebook can confirm the Addon/Plugin actually works? Some details of your setup would help - see: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49

Accel

Unread post by Accel » 2013-02-09, 10:02

i have done it also and it can be installed in palemoon. i just tested it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-09, 10:14

You may have to run the installer "As Administrator" or Pale Moon "As Administrator" before installing the add-on if delivered as XPI. Not being able to modify files is usually caused by insufficient rights on the file system. This problems seems especially present on Windows Vista. Plenty of people report this error with Firefox as well, and it's not related to any particular add-on, rather related to the way the add-on is delivered to browsers.

If you continue having issues, you can get more information about what fails by setting extensions.logging.enabled to (boolean) true in about:config, restarting, then reproducing the problem and checking the Error Console when you get this error.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mousewarp

Unread post by mousewarp » 2013-02-10, 21:58

I am logged on as an Admin, with full permissions in all six machines, including on my Blade Server running Server 2003 R2 SP2, in fact I am the Network and Domain Administrator on my own art studio network. I also do Network Admin, and PC tech for medical clients for about 20 years now.

The error occurs on every machine I own including the virtual machines I run on the server. I am using a Watchguard XTM 545 Firewall, and turning off antivrus/antimalware during the attempts to install the addon.

I also have a newer version of Firefox installed, is there a possibility that Pale Moon is balking because the addon is installed for Firefox already?

P,S, The rest of the Boxes are running Win XP Pro SP2 or SP3 depending upon the software they need to run, all are maxed out as to memory, running some version of ATI radeon video cards, some are intel others are AMD, each has a least 2TB of disk space, and all are connected to a 10TB NAS box as well as the server which has another 10TB of drive space.

Thanks for the replies...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-11, 05:56

Please turn on extension logging as indicated and check the error console when you try to install to get better detail as to what happens.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mousewarp

Unread post by mousewarp » 2013-02-11, 08:21

From the error console:

LOG addons.repository: Requesting https://services.addons.mozilla.org/en- ... N_RESTORED%

LOG addons.xpi: Starting install of file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pale%20Moon/extensions/TimeLineRemoveFF.xpi

LOG addons.xpi: Addon jid0-YxzrUsJ0WOiOaU89TngAzLcIs18@jetpack will be installed as an unpacked directory

Timestamp: 2/11/2013 3:15:16 AM
Warning: WARN addons.xpi: Failed to install: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIZipReader.extract]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm :: extractFiles :: line 1090" data: no]
Source File: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm
Line: 1090

That is consistently returned in the error console with every attempt to install TimeLineRemove.com...

P.S. the addon/extension installs and works perfectly in Firefox and Comitbird.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-11, 13:14

Ah. That problem is usually due to the length of the directory name where the extension is saved. You are probably hitting the limit with this extension because the profile folder for Pale Moon has a longer name than Mozilla Firefox or Cometbird (and XP generation OS-es (XP/server2003) are more restricted in the maximum path length than later instalments of Windows). The developers of the add-on should be able to fix this in the add-on xpi by shortening path names in the add-on/using fewer sub-sub-sub folders in their extension.

mousewarp

Unread post by mousewarp » 2013-02-12, 07:56

Thank You for the reply, but really all this tells me is that the buck is being passed to the developers of the addon, when in reality Pale Moon uses 'Non Compatible' directory structures. I am fairly certain the developers are not going to recode their addon for an obscure browser using the Gecko engine with non standard installation paths.

Not everyone is suckered into a new Microplop OS with go faster stripes. New MS OS's with huge new hardware requirements just for a minor improvement, balanced against having to replace nearly all your existing software, etcetera. Win 7 is a security and Admin nightmare as well, and Win 8 is a very bad joke being more a cell phone OS than a serious OS.

The bottom line then is that Pale Moon is 'non-standard' in it's directory structure, and therefore useless to me as I am certain I will run into this error on the browser's part again. I have since encountering this error, encountered others stating that the Gecko engine version of Pale Moon is too outdated to run an addon, or access certain features as well as Flash and Java issues with the version of the engine, so off it goes from my machines as I am not altering my hardware and OS for an obscure browser....

P.S. I have now successfully installed TimeLineRemove in 'Twelve' other browsers using the Gecko engine, this clearly puts the fault for this error in the way Pale Moon is installed, in essence Pale Moon is error not the addon...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-12, 08:10

Pale Moon doesn't use "non-compatible" directory structures. A large part of the problem is that jetpack, the development tool for rapid building of add-ons used to create this add-on, creates a really long string for the ID, which is, because of the way add-ons are unpacked, creating a long path name. Combined with XP's limitations, and the fact that I choose to use "Moonchild productions" as vendor name and "Pale Moon" as application name instead of the shorts "Mozilla" and "Firefox" respectively, you are hitting the limit. Be aware that this is a very regular occurrence on Firefox as well in similar situations. It is a compound problem:
OS limit+slightly longer vendor names+long Jetpack-ID+add-on internal path names+length of windows username+...

You seem to be unhappy about a lot of things here, and choosing to use Pale Moon as a focal point for it - please don't.

This is not Pale Moon's fault. Pale Moon's directory structure is standard, it is just in a different location. If you still feel it is Pale Moon's sole fault, despite this explanation, then nobody is stopping you to switch browser, either.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-02-12, 09:35

mousewarp wrote:Thank You for the reply, but really all this tells me is that the buck is being passed to the developers of the addon, when in reality Pale Moon uses 'Non Compatible' directory structures. I am fairly certain the developers are not going to recode their addon for an obscure browser using the Gecko engine with non standard installation paths.

Not everyone is suckered into a new Microplop OS with go faster stripes. New MS OS's with huge new hardware requirements just for a minor improvement, balanced against having to replace nearly all your existing software, etcetera. Win 7 is a security and Admin nightmare as well, and Win 8 is a very bad joke being more a cell phone OS than a serious OS.

The bottom line then is that Pale Moon is 'non-standard' in it's directory structure, and therefore useless to me as I am certain I will run into this error on the browser's part again. I have since encountering this error, encountered others stating that the Gecko engine version of Pale Moon is too outdated to run an addon, or access certain features as well as Flash and Java issues with the version of the engine, so off it goes from my machines as I am not altering my hardware and OS for an obscure browser....

P.S. I have now successfully installed TimeLineRemove in 'Twelve' other browsers using the Gecko engine, this clearly puts the fault for this error in the way Pale Moon is installed, in essence Pale Moon is error not the addon...
Lets look at the picture here: He could quit spying spammy Facebook and solve the problem outright. The add-on isn't officially listed and now the problem is the "obscure browser?" I am captain run-a-zillion add-ons and PM works beautifully with them- and I test them in both FF and PM and more often than not they run better in PM. :thumbup:

Was it not just days ago that someone was trying to promote another browser and slam PM? This sure smells of a setup.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-12, 09:40

mousewarp wrote:P.S. I have now successfully installed TimeLineRemove in 'Twelve' other browsers using the Gecko engine, this clearly puts the fault for this error in the way Pale Moon is installed, in essence Pale Moon is error not the addon...
Sounds like you have plenty of choice to switch to a "non-buggy" browser then, with twelve alternatives to pick from.

P.S.: timelineremove may, at any point in time, stop working because all it does is trick Facebook to show you the mobile version.

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2013-02-14, 11:39

Theoretically you might be able to work around this using NTFS links...if you create a link c:\moonchild that points to c:\Program Files\Moonchild Productions, and you run Pale Moon using that link, then you might get away with it. Haven't tried it myself.

User Agent Switcher might also work.