Trouble installing on new computer

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

Trouble installing on new computer

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-05-18, 01:45

Hi! I just got a new computer and I want to install Pale Moon as my principal browser. I have it on my Lenovo laptop and really enjoy it and now I want to install it on my desktop computer. I have a Gigabyte brick with Debian installed. For some reason the application will not open when I try to unpack it from the tarball. If there are idiosyncrasies associated with installing on Debian, please let me know. I've never had an easy time with installing Pale Moon. I love the browser but it's a little quirky to install, in my experience.

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

lyceus

Re: Trouble installing on new computer

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-05-18, 02:47

Mod notice: This post had been moved to Support > Pale Moon for Linux, so Linux users can help better this question.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-05-18, 03:45

Okay, great...this makes sense. Thanks!

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2017-05-18, 10:21

14themoon wrote:For some reason the application will not open when I try to unpack it from the tarball. If there are idiosyncrasies associated with installing on Debian, please let me know. I've never had an easy time with installing Pale Moon. I love the browser but it's a little quirky to install, in my experience.

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!
Without seeing the error messages, I'll have to guess at the problem. You mention unpacking the tarball. Are you trying to manually unpack the tarball to /usr/local or to /opt ? If so, you need to be root (or use sudo) to do that. A regular user can't write to those directories. If you're the only user, you can unpack the tarball to your home directory and run it from there.

There is a Debian repository for Pale Moon, so you can use Debian's package manager. See the thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466 If you still want to install manually from a tarball, see the first post in thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 for detailed install instructions. It's tagetted at the SSE-only tarball, but the instructions apply equally well to any manual install from a tarball.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-05-19, 20:41

Thanks for this. is there an installer for Pale Moon other than the tarball? I have no special reason for wanting to install manually--I just thought that was the way it was done. Where is the option for an installer other than the tarball on the installation page?

The repository that you mention at the end of your post: is that "as good" as the installer on the actual Pale Moon page? I just want to get Pale Moon installed on the new computer...whatever way is easiest is fine by me! Thanks!

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2017-05-19, 22:13

14themoon wrote:Where is the option for an installer other than the tarball on the installation page?
Installation, uninstallation and upgrades are normally managed with the Pale Moon for Linux installer.

Download tar.bz2 (direct download)

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-05-20, 01:50

So the direct download is through the tar.bz2. When I click on that, however, all kinds of weird stuff happens. I do not get Pale Moon installed. What to do?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-05-20, 02:03

Simply extract the tarball and execute the newly extracted .sh file. Also, see the download page for various notes on its usage.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-05-21, 04:44

Okay...I did as you suggested. I downloaded the package. But when I opened it, I got a whole page with headings, menu bars...nothing vaguely resembling a browser! There were two packages: one said "read me" and the other was presumably the actual program. But for some reason it is not loading on my system. It can't be this difficult...if I'm missing something, please tell me what it is. I like Pale Moon...it's a great browser! But installation is a bit problematic.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-05-21, 04:56

When I tried to extract the installer I received this message:" AN ERROR OCCURRED! Please check the 'Store archiver output' option to see it." Have no idea what that means. I right clicked on the package and got "extract," and then I got that message. Don't get it.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2017-05-22, 14:40

I seem to have hit a dead end here...what more can I say? I'm still trying to install Pale Moon on my Debian computer but have no idea how to proceed. Comments...suggestions?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-05-23, 11:48

I can't help you since I don't run Debian. However, since you seem to be at a dead end, have you tried getting some help at the Debian forums? The link is below.

http://forums.debian.net/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pale Moon Nili

Unread post by Pale Moon Nili » 2017-05-23, 15:38

Hi Debian user here, I run Pale Moon binary this way.

I use this link to get my copy palemoon.org/download/mainline.
My architecture is 32bit so i use x86 tar.bz2. For 64bit select the other link.

I created a folder on my /home/(username)/.config/ named palemoon and put the binary on this destination folder.
So, i check it from console by run "/home/(username)/.config/palemoon/palemoon".

Also be sure to have "libdbus-glib-1-2" installed on your system by checking

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy libdbus-glib-1-2
If not installed do it

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libdbus-glib-1-2 --no-install-recommends

then execute run command again, my run command is /home/(username)/.config/palemoon/palemoon

I've tried on Debian 7 and 8 but only for 32bit. I don't have a 64bits so i can say anything for this architecture.

Hope you make it,
Best regards,

Nili

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-05-25, 19:07

If someone else was running that Debian install on that computer before you, there's always the possibilty that they munged up the system by adding Ubuntu or Sid repos or something like that. People do that all the time, creating FrankenDebian. For me, I use the Dolphin file manager and have the Ark context menus come up in it for any archive work, along with an improved KDE-extract-and-compress service menu that uses pixz for the xz compression.