Gmail and Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
spotify95
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Gmail and Pale Moon

Unread post by spotify95 » 2017-05-17, 19:11

Hi,

I have recently discovered an issue with Pale Moon that was not a problem in the previous release (version 27.0.x).

As of Pale Moon version 27.3.0 (32 bit), Gmail does not load properly when you log in. It always reverts to basic HTML view as default, instead of the standard view.
There is an option to switch to the standard view when the emails have loaded, but unless you keep logging in every day (or less), it always switches me to the basic HTML as default - which is no good whatsoever for things like Hangouts and other things such as email formatting etc.

I have set Pale Moon to use Firefox compatibility mode.

This has only been an issue since the last couple of updates - if anyone could get Pale Moon to work nicely with Google stuff, it'd be appreciated.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Gmail and Pale Moon

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-17, 19:56

See if doing this helps:

Try going into about:config (type "about:config" into browser address bar do a search for "general.useragent.override" and find the pref referenced in red (without quotes) and set "general.useragent.override.mail.google.com" to "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0" (to do this copy this: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0 and then right-click on the pref and select "Modify" and paste (ctrl+v) to string value and click "OK". If you do not have this pref already to modify then right-click anywhere in pref settings and select "New" > "string" and add the pref name and string value referenced above to about:config.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-05-18, 02:55

Pale Moon Rising wrote:See if doing this helps:

Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0
When I ask people to use UA changes I recommend that they see what says on their browser, as this string states Windows 7 x64 and the user says he has Windows 7 x86. This can be harmless in several sites except where they scan the Windows version for deliver drivers or apps for example. :geek:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-18, 03:33

lyceus wrote:

When I ask people to use UA changes I recommend that they see what says on their browser, as this string states Windows 7 x64 and the user says he has Windows 7 x86. This can be harmless in several sites except where they scan the Windows version for deliver drivers or apps for example. :geek:
Excellent point, so what would have been better is for me to suggest the following instead: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW32; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0". Am I understanding what you're saying correctly? (if so I'll change the former post)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-05-18, 13:28

lyceus wrote:

When I ask people to use UA changes I recommend that they see what says on their browser, as this string states Windows 7 x64 and the user says he has Windows 7 x86.
I read "spotify95's" opening comments. He states he is using Pale Moon 27.3.0 (32 bit). He makes no mention anywhere he is using the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you made an assumption. Just because he is using the 32 bit version of Windows Pale Moon, that does not mean he is using Windows 7 x 86 which is the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

As an example and I'll use myself. All of my Windows 7 hard drives are Windows 7 x64 which means they are all 64 bit. However, in all of my Windows 7 hard drives, I use the 32 bit version of Windows Pale Moon. I do not use the 64 bit version of Windows Pale Moon even though all of my Windows 7 hard drives are 64 bit.

Now in all of my linux hard drives, I switch gears so to speak. They are all 64 bit linux Mint, but I use the 64 bit version of linux Pale Moon in all of them, not 32 bit linux Pale Moon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-18, 15:09

^ You're absolutely correct, there IS no mention of the OS (after reading the post more carefully [which is what I should have done in the first place], just PM is referenced) -- so while we don't know for sure, odds are "WOW64" is presumably the most likely assumption to make based on the expectations of "most common usage". :think: :idea:

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-05-20, 02:16

Pale Moon Rising wrote:... so what would have been better is for me to suggest the following instead: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW32; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0". Am I understanding what you're saying correctly? (if so I'll change the former post)
WOW64 is the emulation layer for Win 64 bits read and executes 32 bit apps, since there is a wow32.dll this do not apply for the UA. I think we need to made a table for different values on windows 7/8.1/10 so the user can look up.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I read "spotify95's" opening comments. He states he is using Pale Moon 27.3.0 (32 bit). He makes no mention anywhere he is using the 32 bit version of Windows 7.
Your idea is wrong. I have Widnows 7 x64 (for my AMD Phenom x4) but I use Pale Moon 32 bits, this is my user agent for google pages:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0
Screenshot 2017-05-19 21.12.59.png
FireShot Screen Capture #067 - 'about_config' - about_config.png
As you see the UA reports the Windows system that you use despite the version of Pale Moon (x86 or x64) you use. In some places like File Hippo, Microsoft or AMD. I get suggestion to install the x64 version of the program for the value in the UA. So is not a good idea to send your UA to another computer as may lend in troubles.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-20, 03:25

lyceus wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I read "spotify95's" opening comments. He states he is using Pale Moon 27.3.0 (32 bit). He makes no mention anywhere he is using the 32 bit version of Windows 7.
Your idea is wrong. I have Widnows 7 x64 (for my AMD Phenom x4) but I use Pale Moon 32 bits, this is my user agent for google pages:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0
Screenshot 2017-05-19 21.12.59.png

FireShot Screen Capture #067 - 'about_config' - about_config.png
As you see the UA reports the Windows system that you use despite the version of Pale Moon (x86 or x64) you use. In some places like File Hippo, Microsoft or AMD. I get suggestion to install the x64 version of the program for the value in the UA. So is not a good idea to send your UA to another computer as may lend in troubles.
You are responding to Night Wing's post and mistakenly attributing the post to me.... that said, your UA Override for "google pages" would be as expected because you're using Windows 7 x64 which as I see it does not conflict with the concept that it should be set to WOW64 as you have said you are using in this case. As to any other comments, I'd have to take some time to review more.... I am just posting for now to say that this was not my post that you are replying to. ;)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-20, 09:03

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Try going into about:config .... "general.useragent.override.mail.google.com"
Is this a Windows-only preference? I do not see this in my Pale Moon on Ubuntu, although there is general.useragent.override.google.com .

EDIT: I see in the screenshot in this post that ".mail.google.com" isn't listed either... :silent:
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-05-20, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-20, 09:09

No.. If you want it you would have to create it..

THIS is what is shipped by default.
http://xref.palemoon.org/palemoon-trunk/source/browser/branding/shared/pref/uaoverrides.inc
NOTE: We use filter substitution when preprocessing during compilation so @VAR@ is replaced with the value of whatever that is assigned to.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-20, 15:19

gracious1 wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:Try going into about:config .... "general.useragent.override.mail.google.com"
Is this a Windows-only preference? I do not see this in my Pale Moon on Ubuntu, although there is general.useragent.override.google.com .

EDIT: I see in the screenshot in this post that ".mail.google.com" isn't listed either... :silent:
If I recall correctly (it's been a while) I added this to remove the banner in google mail telling me that I should update the browser to a more current version. I used the same string value that I used for live.com (MSN mail; "general.useragent.override.live.com") which was "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0" at the time and haven't had any issues with banners since as far as I know (I don't log-in to Webmail accounts that often as I use a Email Client apps most of the time).

spotify95
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by spotify95 » 2017-05-24, 10:17

Night Wing wrote:
lyceus wrote:

When I ask people to use UA changes I recommend that they see what says on their browser, as this string states Windows 7 x64 and the user says he has Windows 7 x86.
I read "spotify95's" opening comments. He states he is using Pale Moon 27.3.0 (32 bit). He makes no mention anywhere he is using the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you made an assumption. Just because he is using the 32 bit version of Windows Pale Moon, that does not mean he is using Windows 7 x 86 which is the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

As an example and I'll use myself. All of my Windows 7 hard drives are Windows 7 x64 which means they are all 64 bit. However, in all of my Windows 7 hard drives, I use the 32 bit version of Windows Pale Moon. I do not use the 64 bit version of Windows Pale Moon even though all of my Windows 7 hard drives are 64 bit.

Now in all of my linux hard drives, I switch gears so to speak. They are all 64 bit linux Mint, but I use the 64 bit version of linux Pale Moon in all of them, not 32 bit linux Pale Moon.
Apologies for any confusion. I am running Windows 7 64 bit, however the Pale Moon version I m running is 32 bit as I don't think they did a 64 bit plugin for Google Talk (which is now Hangouts).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-24, 10:29

You are correct they did not ever produce a 64bit version of the Google Chat plugin. Hangouts is primarily WebRTC.. Google WebRTC.. That plugin on 32bit browser versions could stop working at any time. My suggestion is to use Google's browser for Google's services which has the highest chance of working properly. Of course even Google can't keep their services 100% with their own browser at time so what hope do we have when they won't cooperate with us...