Corrupted profile, Downloads button broken -- please help Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Corrupted profile, Downloads button broken -- please help

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-06, 01:33

There seems to be something wrong with my default profile. It's a visual oddity. Specifically, when you click on the Downloads toolbar button, there is supposed popup that appears immediately below the button and reads "No downloads for this session" and "Show all downloads".

However in my default profile, it ends up on just outside my window, on the lower left edge! (I would show you a screenshot, but in Ubuntu 14.04 you can't take a screenshot of something that pops up after a mouseclick; it goes away as soon as you hit the PrtSc key.)

It is not an extension issue, nor a theme issue. In my default profile, I did the following:
1. I restarted in safe mode. It still happened.
2. I restarted again, and I made these selections in the dialog box:
safemode.png
And then I hit Make Changes and Restart.
3. I clicked on the Downloads button again. The dialog still pops up in the lower left edge of my screen!

Just to be sure, in a clean, new profile, I installed only the theme Red Cats (blue flavor) 5.8.0, both with and without Theme Compatibility Provider 1.0.2. The issue did not appear. I also tried various other extensions that I had installed, but I could not make the broken dialog box happen; it always appeared correctly under the Downloads button. The issue appears only in my default profile, and even in Safe Mode it persists.

I noticed a second problem in my default profile. I backed up my bookmarks, and selected "Delete all bookmarks except for backups". in the Safe Mode dialog. When PM restarted, however, all the bookmarks were still there! :?:

So I think there is something corrupted about the profile, thought I don't know what exactly. Preferably I would like to fix what is broken, whatever that may be. But If I can't, and I must use a new profile, is there a way to export/import saved passwords? I know how to do it with bookmarks, but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for stored passwords.

I thought about hitting "Refresh Pale Moon" in the Troubleshooting Information page, but that causes you to lose all stored passwords, correct? So again, I need to know how to export them before I do that.

Any help is appreciated. I'm using PM 27.3.0 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04.5. Thanks.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Corrupted profile, Downloads button broken -- please help

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-05-06, 02:06

When the popup shows by the lower edge, does it look like this?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Try restoring to the the default set of your toolbar layout (in customize dialog) or check if you put the "Download Status" button there.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-06, 03:08

FranklinDM wrote:When the popup shows by the lower edge, does it look like this?
It looks very much indeed like that.
FranklinDM wrote:Try restoring to the the default set of your toolbar layout (in customize dialog)...
That worked. :lol: I had no idea it was something so simple. Thank you so much for pointing this out. You saved me a huge headache.

But does anyone know if there is still a way to export or backup stored passwords so that they can be used in another profile?

Lastly, I discovered that the bookmarks issue appears to be a bug, so I've reported it on this thread.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-05-06, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-05-06, 03:55

Try Password Exporter v1.2.1.1-signed at AMO. It also has an optional obfuscation/encryption feature.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-06, 04:07

FranklinDM wrote:Try Password Exporter v1.2.1.1-signed
Thanks, I will.

You know, it occurs to me that when I selected "Reset toolbars and controls" in the Safe Mode dialog box, that should have restored the toolbars to their default set โ€” without my having to do it manually via the Customize dialog. Otherwise, what does that selection mean?

Is this another bug I should report?

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-05-06, 06:52

I think yes, but by the way, I already made a PR to PM's repo to fix this.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-07, 04:32

FranklinDM wrote:I think yes, but by the way, I already made a PR to PM's repo to fix this.
To fix the bookmarks issue or the reset toolbars issue? I didn't see your post until just now, and I have already posted the reset toolbars issue to the Bug Reports forum.

Also I just looked at github, and I see where GMforker reported the bookmarks thing based on my post, but I don't see anything about the toolbars? I looked under both Issues and Pull requests.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-05-07, 05:09

The Reset Toolbars PR. It was already merged last night.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-05-07, 06:50

gracious1 wrote:.... in Ubuntu 14.04 you can't take a screenshot of something that pops up after a mouseclick; it goes away as soon as you hit the PrtSc key.)
In case your curious: How to capture a drop-down menu?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-07, 10:23

FranklinDM wrote:The Reset Toolbars PR. It was already merged last night.
OK, that was fast. So that means the bug will be fixed in the next release?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-07, 10:35

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
gracious1 wrote:.... in Ubuntu 14.04 you can't take a screenshot of something that pops up after a mouseclick; it goes away as soon as you hit the PrtSc key.)
In case your curious: How to capture a drop-down menu?
Thanks! :geek: I've actually done some research, and I figured out how to do it. In fact I was planning to write a tutorial for this forum, as it would be very useful for Ubuntu-users seeking help here to know how to do this. The secret is creating a time delay.
How to take a screenshot of a whole desktop with app menu selection?
How to take a screenshot with the actual pointer icon?
I'm going to distill these (and your link, too) down to a short how-to. Cheers!
I can even take a screenshot of the Launcher item menu now.
I can even take a screenshot of the Launcher item menu now.
Take Screenshot Launcher.png (75.35 KiB) Viewed 1750 times

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-05-07, 10:45

gracious1 wrote:... the bug will be fixed in the next release?
Yes, I think.