ABL not blocking BlockAdblock

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

KNTRO

ABL not blocking BlockAdblock

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-05-05, 01:34

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that Adblock Latitude can't bypass BlockAdblock successfully for the time being. It's not the only anti adblock system that ABL can't deal with, but I'm afraid BlockAdblock could be a success in the web if it's not defeated at time.

Thanks for reading!

Moonbrained

Re: ABL not blocking BlockAdblock

Unread post by Moonbrained » 2017-05-07, 17:15

The "BlockAdblock" site you linked to seems to do some trickery, without using javascript, which places a white "sheet" over the loaded page.

One workaround for this is to remove unwanted page elements, and the tool I recommend for this is "Nuke Anything Enhanced" by Patrick Salloum. Using the addon, you can right click and "Remove this object" two times (once on the "we block here" textbox, and again on the white "sheet"), and see the entire page you linked to.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... -enhanced/

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-07, 21:53

I don't know if this will work with AdBlock Latitude, but for uBlock Origin you can add this to the "My Filters" tab:

Code: Select all

blockadblock.com##script:inject(bab-defuser.js)
I was successfully able to navigate through the site without the adblock-detector notice resurfacing.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-05-08, 07:40

I can confirm that neither the Nuke Anything Enhanced and the rule works on Pale Moon +ABL. The site is blocked after some seconds of view by a layer.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-08, 07:57

KNTRO wrote:Hi there, Just wanted to let you know that Adblock Latitude can't bypass BlockAdblock successfully for the time being.
Did the code I gave you in my earlier post help? I am sure there is a "My Filters" equivalent in ABL and the rest of the Adblock Plus family.
20 July 1969 ๐ŸŒ— Apollo 11 ๐ŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." ๐Ÿš€

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-05-08, 08:09

gracious1 wrote:
Did the code I gave you in my earlier post help? I am sure there is a "My Filters" equivalent in ABL and the rest of the Adblock Plus family.
That script name is removed from the page, seems from code that it is activated using piwik.js or some other tool.

Moonbrained

Unread post by Moonbrained » 2017-05-08, 11:36

lyceus wrote:I can confirm that neither the Nuke Anything Enhanced and the rule works on Pale Moon +ABL. The site is blocked after some seconds of view by a layer.
My apologies: the BAB page is viewable if Nuke Anything Enhanced is used to remove the two unwanted top "sheet" layers, and if javascript is disabled. NoScript is one such javascript-control addon which works well with Pale Moon.

https://noscript.net

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-05-08, 20:00

gracious1 wrote:Did the code I gave you in my earlier post help?
Hello gracious1!

It didn't. Or maybe I'm too supid to make it work properly.
gracious1 wrote:I am sure there is a "My Filters" equivalent in ABL and the rest of the Adblock Plus family.
Yes, there is:

I tried both

blockadblock.com##script:inject(bab-defuser.js)
and

||blockadblock.com##script:inject(bab-defuser.js)
and none of them worked.

Here's a website using BAB โ€” it may be a little slow at its first load, but it might be helpful โ€”or notโ€” to understand how BAB actually works. ;)

By the way, your help is always welcomed. :thumbup:

Best regards.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-09, 02:40

KNTRO wrote:By the way, your help is always welcomed. :thumbup: Best regards.
Why, thank you. :oops: :mrgreen:

Try this on for size:

||*blockadblock*.*/*$inline-script
||*.*/*blockadblock*/*$inline-script
||*.*/*blockadblock*/*
||*blockadblock*.*/*
||*.*/*/blockadblock.js$script

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-05-09, 16:12

@gracious1,

Hello again!

I'm afraid even adding those 5 rules simultaneously, they won't work. :( They won't for me, at least.

Thanks for your help.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-09, 17:50

Okay, one last stab. Here are some choices.

A.
Try installing Reek's Anti-Adblock Killer. Follow all the instructions above for installing the userscript and subscribing to the filter list. (In step one, pick "Greasemonkey".)

B. Try adding these filters, with or without AAK

@@||blockadblock.com^$generichide
@@.ico$image,domain=blockadblock.com
@@.jpg$image,domain=blockadblock.com
@@|https://$script,domain=blockadblock.com,third-party
C.
If for some reason you really need to access this site, then switch to uBlock Origin and add the filter from my first post. (I have discovered that this filter would only work on uBlock Origin.)

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-05-09, 18:18

Hi there!

Options A & B didn't work. So, I choose option C with the filter from your first post. It did worked and, as a matter of fact, I have disabled Adblock Latitude and now I'm using uBlock Origin instead! :thumbup:

So, thanks a lot for your help, gracious1! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Best regards.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-05-10, 02:39

Maybe is time to change if uOrigin has a "block per element" as well. :D But only if this infection becomes more bigger and more widespread. :sick:

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-10, 18:53

KNTRO wrote:So, thanks a lot for your help, gracious1! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Feel free to mark this as solved. (Click on the checkmark of the post that helped you.)
See you around! ;)

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2017-05-10, 21:36

AdBlock can block BlockAdBlock: one often overlooked feature of AdBlock is its capability to hide HTML elements.

To block BlockAdBlock on https://blockadblock.com/, simply add this filter to AddBlock: ###babasbmsgx

###<some id> will hide elements named <some id> while ##div.<some class> will hide div elements using class <some class>

Hiding element id "babasbmsgx", you hide the blocking sheet which overlaps the actual page. To find out what element is overlapping others, simply use Pale Moon's Inspector (CTRL SHIFT C) and once you found the culprit element (by hovering the mouse pointer on the web page), click on it (to get the corresponding line selected in the page source window), then look at "id=" or "class=" and choose which to block.

What is missing to AdBlock is the ability to insert wildcards in the id/class name, since some sites will generate them pseudo-randomly to try and evade such blocks...

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-11, 00:25

dinosaur wrote:What is missing to AdBlock is the ability to insert wildcards in the id/class name, since some sites will generate them pseudo-randomly to try and evade such blocks...

The site did in fact regenerate the page-covering elements after each page refresh, each time with a different, random-looking name. At least that's what I saw.

But the four filters posted above (as "Option B") were effective in my profile that uses ABL (with/without Reek AAK) provided they were all used.

KNTRO wrote:Here's a website using BAB โ€” it may be a little slow at its first load, but it might be helpful โ€”or notโ€” to understand how BAB actually works.

This site (that actually uses 'blockadblock' in real life) didn't put up any anti-blocking messages or barriers at all for me, neither with ABL nor uBO.

I'm guessing a blocker's performance on an example/proof-of-concept site such as 'blockadblock.com' might not be a reliable predictor of what will happen when BAB is used by any other site in actual practice.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-11, 07:14

gracious1 wrote:A.
Try installing Reek's Anti-Adblock Killer. Follow all the instructions above for installing the userscript and subscribing to the filter list. (In step one, pick "Greasemonkey".)
I should mention that if you are installing Reek's Anti-Adblock Killer (AAK) in Pale Moon, you should install GMforker's Greasemonkey for Pale Moon (experimental) rather than the Greasemonkey that Reek links to, which is for Firefox.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2017-05-11, 08:07

coffeebreak wrote:
dinosaur wrote:What is missing to AdBlock is the ability to insert wildcards in the id/class name, since some sites will generate them pseudo-randomly to try and evade such blocks...

The site did in fact regenerate the page-covering elements after each page refresh, each time with a different, random-looking name. At least that's what I saw.

But the four filters posted above (as "Option B") were effective in my profile that uses ABL (with/without Reek AAK) provided they were all used.
You can achieve the same thing by adding to your "hosts" file (/etc/hosts under Linux, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts under Windows):

0.0.0.0 blockadblock.com
This will prevent any program on your computer to load anything from blockadblock.com.

If there are sub-domains (e.g. www.blockadblock.com) you will have to add them too; if you are using dnsmasq, you can block all sub-domains as well by adding just one line to its dnsmasq.conf file:

address=/blockadblock.com/0.0.0.0

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-11, 14:22

dinosaur wrote:You can achieve the same thing by adding to your "hosts" file...

Thank you for suggesting this. I don't currently block things through my "hosts" file, but it's something I'll want to get more conversant with for the future.

llkjdsaB

Unread post by llkjdsaB » 2017-05-20, 01:07

I'm a happy user of uBlock origin and its element selector. Previous to that, I successfully used AdBlock Lite + Element Hiding Helper for similar problems to this. The rule which allows me to see BAB is: blockadblock.com###hDImVWJHzFlGyvioHZDFOLN8LooCLa . Even though I cleared cookies, etc. and reloaded a couple times, I didn't see the "we block adblock" screen again until I disabled that rule. I don't see anything like that on bild.de, either with or without the rule.