Can not unzip

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Tony33

Can not unzip

Unread post by Tony33 » 2011-11-15, 05:16

hi,
I am new to this forum, I would like to try Palemoon Portable 8
Program downloaded OK to my win.XP computer but when I tried to unzip it with 7-Zip (from right click context menu)
I got a "Diagnostic Messages" box with 294 files with something like "unsupported compression method..."
and the newly created folder has a few files but 0 (zero) byte. (I do not have Win RAR...so I don't know)

this also happened with palemoon portable 3.6.26a :(

Please help
Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can not unzip

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-15, 08:14

The portable versions come as a self-extracting archive (.exe) - you run the executable and it will ask you where to unpack; no need to try and unpack it with 7-zip.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tony33

Unread post by Tony33 » 2011-11-19, 04:15

Thank you Moonchild
You are right, It unpacked to the USB flash correctly but the Norton Internet Security 2011 automatically removed certain files
rendered it inoperationable ( I do believe Palemoon does not have trojan or anything like that) will try again later when I can figure
out how to bypass this NIS. (I am no computer expert!)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-11-19, 08:44

NIS should leave Pale Moon alone - if it destroys part of it, then you should immediately report this to Norton.

This would be a "false positive", and is probably triggered by the optimized nature of Pale Moon and/or by having the libraries compacted (a very bad assumption in that case). In any case, they need to fix their detection engine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite