GOOGLE TO IMPOSE BROWSER BASED AD MONOPOLY

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

GOOGLE TO IMPOSE BROWSER BASED AD MONOPOLY

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-04-20, 19:05

This was from Jim Stone, 82.221.129.208

This is pretty serious and is a major nail in the coffin for the alt media that relies on advertisement revenue. :thumbdown:

What do you think of this?

If Google refuses to sell you ads, Google will make sure no one else can either!
Google is going to put an ad filter in it's chrome browser that filters everything but Google adsense. This will enable Google to acheive a near total smash down of all competitors in advertising. Additionally, it will allow Google to decide who lives and dies on the web, all Google has to do is deny a web site adsense, and then filter all other ad servers.

From the Wall Street Urinal (read between the lines folks)
Alphabet Inc.'s Google is planning to introduce an ad-blocking feature in the mobile and desktop versions of its popular Chrome web browser, according to people familiar with the company's plans.

The ad-blocking feature, which could be switched on by default within Chrome, would filter out certain online ad types deemed to provide bad experiences for users as they move around the web.

Google could announce the feature within weeks, but it is still ironing out specific details and still could decide not to move ahead with the plan, the people said.

Unacceptable ad types would be those recently defined by the Coalition for Better Ads, an industry group that released a list of ad standards in March. According to those standards, ad formats such as pop-ups, auto-playing video ads with sound and 'prestitial' ads with countdown timers are deemed to be 'beneath a threshold of consumer acceptability.'

In one possible application Google is considering, it may choose to block all advertising that appears on sites with offending ads, instead of the individual offending ads themselves. In other words, site owners may be required to ensure all of their ads meet the standards, or could see all advertising across their sites blocked in Chrome.

MY COMMENT: So Google is seeking to block offensive ads? How about all ads sent to "offensive" web sites? The veil is pretty thin on this one, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT: Google is taking a pre-emptive move to stop alt media from seeking other ad providers, and force alt media to die at the will of a scamming kikedom elite. You can take their excuse about "popups" and "auto starting ads" and throw it straight in the trash, THIS MOVE BY GOOGLE IS NOTHING MORE THAN AN ATTEMPT TO STOP COMPETING AD COMPANIES FROM RISING TO FILL THE GAP WHEN GOOGLE BANS ADS TO WEB SITES THAT PUBLISH DISSENTING VIEWS.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: GOOGLE TO IMPOSE BROWSER BASED AD MONOPOLY

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-04-20, 19:11

the ethnic slur towards the end really endears one to his ranting.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-20, 19:12

Please let me know which versions of Chrome will include this filter, and I will make sure none of those versions get any content from any of my web assets any longer, with an explanatory popover.

Not only trying to enforce censorship (see the thread why I had to remove adsense on the forum and have taken multiple hits from them not paying for arbitrary reasons) but making sure alternative ad networks that could get Google-censored content monetized are being blocked, is taking it one step too far.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2017-04-20, 19:15

I love how German tech bloggers praise Google now because "they do something against the malicious ads".
Oh well.

You go, Moonchild!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-20, 19:45

Keep the following in mind:
site owners may be required to ensure all of their ads meet the standards, or could see all advertising across their sites blocked in Chrome.
How will site owners ever be able to ensure this? Only through using an ad network that is known to Google to meet these standards. Which will most likely only be their own network (AdSense).

Site owners, to have comparable levels of ad revenue in alternative media, after all, will almost always have to work through ad network brokers. These brokers use many ad networks (often in auction-style setups), and as such in turn cannot guarantee adherence of all ads served through them to Google's arbitrary standards that must be enforced by those individual networks. So it will place Google firmly in the arbitrator seat, and give them power to, according to their own rules, legitimately block any and all sites using brokers and ad networks "deemed to serve unacceptable ads" (which is most, if not all, alternative ad media).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-20, 20:38

eskaton023 wrote:the ethnic slur towards the end really endears one to his ranting.

I had the same reaction.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-20, 21:18

eskaton023 wrote:the ethnic slur towards the end really endears one to his ranting.
I probably completely miss what this refers to... XD

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-04-20, 22:10

scamming kikedom elite
Kike is a slur for Jewish people.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-20, 22:20

The slur was against jews, Moonchild.. Unfortunatly like everywhere else even the alt media has extremists that undermine the various causes they claim to support.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-04-20, 23:09

So an adblocker that doesn't block most ads...

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-04-21, 01:35

Here is the link to the article on WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-pla ... 1492643233

Yea, I don't like the name calling.

137ben
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 137ben » 2017-04-21, 03:29

Okay, I read the article, and I read the "Coalition for Better Ads" standard linked in the article, and I think some of the comments here are way off base.

Looking through the actual standard for what ads they deem acceptable, it virtually nothing to do with the content of the ads. It's all about the format of the ad. A popup ad that covers the whole screen and makes you search of the tiny "x" to close it is unacceptable by these standards, regardless of what message is in the ad. A silent banner ad at the top of the screen that's clearly seperated from the website's actual content is acceptable by these standards, regardless of what message is in the ad. The all-caps comment in the OP talks about censoring "dissenting views," but the actual standards Google says they are going to use can't actually suppress any particular viewpoint, because which ads are blocked by default has nothing to do with the content of the ad. If you want to make an ad spinning the latest conspiracy theory about how Larry Paige is a lizard-man, then do it in a banner ad or text ad, not a popup or unskippable video ad.
Moonchild wrote:Keep the following in mind:
site owners may be required to ensure all of their ads meet the standards, or could see all advertising across their sites blocked in Chrome.
How will site owners ever be able to ensure this? Only through using an ad network that is known to Google to meet these standards. Which will most likely only be their own network (AdSense).

Site owners, to have comparable levels of ad revenue in alternative media, after all, will almost always have to work through ad network brokers. These brokers use many ad networks (often in auction-style setups), and as such in turn cannot guarantee adherence of all ads served through them to Google's arbitrary standards that must be enforced by those individual networks. So it will place Google firmly in the arbitrator seat, and give them power to, according to their own rules, legitimately block any and all sites using brokers and ad networks "deemed to serve unacceptable ads" (which is most, if not all, alternative ad media).
I'm not a web developer, nor am I a browser developer. However, most websites I visit, as far as I can tell, put all their ads in a consistent format. The Project Wonderful ads that sometimes show up on this very forum, for example, are always a silent banner ad at the top of the page that is approximately the same size. If the standards for ad accepability that Google says they are going to use are the standards they actually end up using, then your forum meets their criteria for whitelisting already, despite the fact that you aren't using Google ads. Any content could hypothetically show up in your banner ads, but it wouldn't matter because the content of an ad isn't part of the criteria.

That's already how it works for the "acceptable ads" whitelist used by Easylist/ABP/Adblock. Websites which only use unobtrusive banner ads and text ads are whitelisted. You don't have to convince the Easylist people that no ad that appears on a third-party ad network meets some standard for offensiveness. You just have to show that your ads are confined to a certain portion of the screen.

Frankly, I'm not even sure if there will be much of a change in the web at all from this "new" development. The most popular browser ad-on, by a wide margin, is AdBlock for Google Chrome. AdBlock blocks most ads by default, but by default whitelists ads that meet their criteria for "acceptable ads." Google's standards appear, at least from an initial reading, to be less stringent than what Easylist uses: notably, Google wants to allow banner ads on "desktop" sites to be somewhat bigger than banner ads on "mobile" sites, whereas Easylist requires very small ads for everyone. Putting aside my general dislike of separating "mobile" sites from "desktop" sites, I actually think that that is a decent default: after all, a 200 pixel banner ad is a lot more disruptive on my tiny smartphone screen than on a large computer monitor. Now, if Google implements this plan, the only difference will be that users won't have to install AdBlock. Google is taking the main feature of the most popular extension and making it the default.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-21, 03:47

137ben wrote: Now, if Google implements this plan, the only difference will be that users won't have to install AdBlock. Google is taking the main feature of the most popular extension and making it the default.

According to the WSJ article, Google hopes the public will see it that way, it's why they're doing this.
The ad-blocking step may seem counter-intuitive given Google’s reliance on online advertising revenue, but the move is a defensive one, people familiar with the plans said.
. . . .
By switching on its own ad-filter, Google is hoping to quell further growth of blocking tools offered by third-party companies, the people said...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-21, 08:04

Thanks for the explanation of the slang; I wasn't familiar with it.

Limiting offered formats allowed by third parties by blocking delivery is essentially not in any way different than what I stated before.
Ad networks are going to offer more obtrusive ads as part of their package of options -- that doesn't necessarily mean that site owners are going to use them; but Chrome will still block the "acceptable format ads" from those networks as well, in that case (because I doubt their ad blocker will actually be smart enough to see what format ads are delivered in, and instead just use a domain blocklist).
So competing ad networks are forced to only compete in the ad formats that Google dictates (limiting the competition's horizontal) to become eligible to be allowed through their ad blocker, which puts Google at a direct advantage (since it is their core business and an extremely large one at that). Google wants a restricted playing field there, because they will dominate.

Ultimately it still allows Google to selectively block direct competitors of their main revenue business. That, in itself, regardless of the details, is bad.
The ad-blocking step may seem counter-intuitive given Google’s reliance on online advertising revenue
It's not counter-intuitive at all; it is a very calculated move that is extremely logical. They will be blocking the competition only. Currently, it is people's choice (and most people don't have an ad blocker installed, believe it or not).
It's directly undermining the profitability of competitors by leveraging being the dominant browser on the market. It won't be a choice, basically they are installing a selective ad blocker on millions of PCs that only target what doesn't benefit them.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-04-21, 12:22

Thehandyman1957 wrote:This was from Jim Stone, 82.221.129.208

If Jim Stone is the author why did you post his IP address? :roll:

And Wallstreet Urinal? Pleaeeese.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-04-21, 12:24

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Here is the link to the article on WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-pla ... 1492643233

Yea, I don't like the name calling.

Well that makes since instead of a stupid quote.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-04-21, 12:28

The ad-blocking feature, which could be switched on by default within Chrome, would filter out certain online ad types deemed to provide bad experiences for users as they move around the web.
Oh, so it's a switch. In other words not forced.

Google could announce the feature within weeks, but it is still ironing out specific details and still could decide not to move ahead with the plan, the people said.
And yet it's not finalized. :lol:

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-04-21, 17:50

Funny the same site that slandered Pewdiepie, falsely labeling him as being anti-Semitic, is the same site using anti-Semitic slurs. That's just great.
Matt A Tobin wrote:The slur was against jews, Moonchild.. Unfortunatly like everywhere else even the alt media has extremists that undermine the various causes they claim to support.
Alternate Media as a whole is a joke. They claim to be for the truth, yet spread nonsense about there being chem trails and how we are all going to be killed off in FEMA camps.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-21, 18:32

Let's keep geo-political ideological discussions to a minimum please.. This is the Pale Moon forums not Fake News Central.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-04-21, 19:00

So here is a article posted a year ago that describes who was involved in this and who is in the coalition.

http://marketingland.com/coalition-for- ... iab-191619

It's an interesting list. It's funny that Google didn't start to sweat this until Apple started to allow ad blockers. :think: