about:config changes not sticking

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
NancyJ

about:config changes not sticking

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-19, 09:47

I had previously disabled the Inspect Element feature as I was using FireBug (this is possible back when I was using Firefox). I've had to disable firebug as it was causing problems - eg. some totally valid javascript not working but no giving errors. So I want to re-enable the built-in inspector, I went to about:config and made the change to turn it back on (it changed from user-set to default). That works for a while but then the inspector disappears again (this isn't after a browser restart either) and I have to go through the process again.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: about:config changes not sticking

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-19, 13:57

Maybe disabling Firebug wasn't enough.
Try uninstalling Firebug completely. And R-click/reset all of its leftover preferences in about:config (to make them disappear).

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-04-19, 14:05

Test it with clean profile.

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-19, 14:08

I don't think the inspector was disabled by FireBug, pretty sure I did that myself but I'll try uninstalling

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-20, 13:04

Uninstalling Firebug hasn't helped :(

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-20, 13:43

Something in your profile, extensions/settings, must be interfering. As Fedor2 said above, test with a clean profile.

And from curiousity, when you say it works for a while, then disappears again, how long is "a while"... minutes, hours...?

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-20, 14:13

A clean profile will already have the setting as I want it though, so I'm not sure what that would prove? I'm trying to change it from a user-set value back to the default

I haven't timed it exactly but its in the region of hours not minutes.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-20, 14:57

NancyJ wrote:A clean profile will already have the setting as I want it though, so I'm not sure what that would prove?

It will be a clean starting point for troubleshooting -- to test by adding settings/extensions back one-by-one to determine the cause of your problem. It's time consuming, but it is a way to find a fix for the problem.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-04-20, 15:42

Ad

Code: Select all

devtools.inspector.enabled
You can find it in the source code here (only):
http://xref.palemoon.org/palemoon-trunk ... enu.js#220

AFAIK: I don't see anything that could turn off this setting (directly in the browser).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-20, 16:28

Could this be related to your problem in conjunction with Pale Moon:
About this Add-on wrote:This extension needs DOM Inspector to be installed!
Since version 0.0.5, it does not require DOM Inspector, if you have
not installed DOM Inspector it will attempt to use Firebug or
Firefox's own Inspector to position an element.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-20, 17:26

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Could this be related to your problem...

The problem doesn't involve the Element Inspector extension, but rather the 'Inspect Element' function that's accessed through an entry in the main context menu. It's controlled by the preference that GMforker posted above
( devtools.inspector.enabled ).

The complaint, as I understand it, is that somehow this preference gets repeatedly flipped to false after OP sets it to true (the default) after a few hours of usage.

Edit: And I'm assuming here (OP, correct this if it's wrong) that the complaint concerns just the presence/disappearance of the menu entry -- and the value of its corresponding preference, but does not involve any features disappearing from the Developers Toolbox.
GMforker wrote:AFAIK: I don't see anything that could turn off this setting (directly in the browser).

Are there indirect ways? What might be able to cause this?

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-20, 20:43

And I'm assuming here (OP, correct this if it's wrong) that the complaint concerns just the presence/disappearance of the menu entry -- and the value of its corresponding preference, but does not involve any features disappearing from the Developers Toolbox.
That's literally it. Its just that flag in the settings keeps getting flicked back to false and I no longer have the Inspect Element menu item on right click. Its stayed on for about 12 hours now, I'll check again in the morning

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-21, 07:20

Come back to it this morning (computer and browser were open all night) and its gone again

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-21, 07:52

NancyJ wrote:Come back to it this morning (computer and browser were open all night) and its gone again
Before you retire for the evening tonight you might try starting Pale Moon in "safe-mode" and leave it that way overnight as you did before with computer and browser open and see if the same thing happens again by the next day. (Go to "Help" > "Restart with Add-ons Disabled..." and start browser in safe-mode and leave it overnight, exiting Pale Moon leaves safe-mode the next morning after you check to see if it's gone again and when you start Pale Moon again it will not be in safe-mode). After trying this see if you get the same results as you got this morning doing this.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-21, 10:08

Did some checking and it also gets reset every time I restart the browser

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2017-04-21, 10:19

Seem to have narrowed down the problem to Luddite UI. I've disabled it and the options seems to be sticking now. Not sure I even needed it, must have been a leftover from my old FF install

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-04-21, 12:40

NancyJ wrote:Seem to have narrowed down the problem to Luddite UI. I've disabled it and the options seems to be sticking now.

Glad you figured it out! :)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-21, 14:25

FYI: This add-on was removed from AMO by its author some time ago.

The most recent review which is a long time ago (so an obsolete extension) on the Luddite UI add-on is the following:
Review on October 25, 2012 wrote:great UI fixer addon!
but just 1 thing to say:
be carefully when installing on a customized firefox, it can mess up ur settings.
so try it out on a clean install.
This is why checking Pale Moon in safe-mode (add-ons disabled) would have lead to the realization that an add-on was your problem a long time ago. ;)
Off-topic:
:idea: If you have a lot of add-ons you might consider going over all of your add-ons (since apparently you have potentially other orphaned carryover stuff from FF) and see what else you may want to remove as well (that you possibly never use).