Default File manager to "open containing folder" Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Laurentius

Default File manager to "open containing folder"

Unread post by Laurentius » 2017-04-15, 15:42

Hello.
I would like to know how to tell Pale moon which file manager to use when clicking "open containing folder" on the downloads dialog.
I usually use the XFCE D.E. which has Thunar as default file manager. For some needs i usually have another file manager installed like Caja, Nemo, or Nautilus.

I want pale moon to use Thunar, my DE default FM to "open containing folder". Instead, pale moon (and firefox) always use any of the other installed FMs. I always find that thunar is the last choice (only when there is no other FM installed) to the "open containing folder" action.
How can i cofigure that?.

I have the same issue with firefox and couldn't solve it yet, after trying lot of things like editing /usr/sare/applications/mimeinfo.cache (the inode/directory line).
No luck yet with the mozilla support.

Thanks.
Linux Mint 17.3, 18.1 XFCE 4.12.

PS. Please tell me if i should move this post to another forum. Or just do it. i'll then look for it.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Default File manager to "open containing folder"

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2017-04-16, 23:54

On my system, Pale Moon is using ~/.local/share/applications/exo-file-manager.desktop to launch Thunar. What launches if you run "exo-open --launch FileManager" from xfce4-terminal? I could be wrong, but I don't think the problem you're experiencing has anything to do with Pale Moon.

Laurentius

Unread post by Laurentius » 2017-04-18, 00:15

If i run "exo-open --launch FileManager" from xfce4-terminal, Thunar launches.
The file exo-file-manager.desktop wasn't al my ~/.local/share/applications/ folder. I found it at /usr/share/applications/. I copied it to ~/.local/share/applications/. Then logged out and in again, but Pale moon (and Firefox) still opens another file manager (nemo) from the Downloads dialog.

I didn't mean to say it was a pale-moon problem or something like that. I think it more related to the O.S.
I just want to anderstand how it Pale Moon (and Firefox) or the O.S. works to be able to configure wihich file-manager it calls from the Downloads dialog.
May be i posted my question in a wrong place of the forum.

Thank you for you answer.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-04-18, 03:59

In PM go to Preferences and click on applications and you can chose what file manger to use with what app you want.

This is how PM chooses.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2017-04-18, 07:45

I had a similar problem recently after setting up a new Linux installation. The fix was rather simple, though: I just opened Xfce's "preferred applications" menu; in the "Utilities" tab you can choose your preferred file manager. In my case, Thunar was already selected, but I had to switch to a different file manager and then switch back to Thunar... And that fixed it, for some reason.
Off-topic:
Actually, in my case, I don't even have any file manager other than Thunar installed in the first place. But for some reason, Pale Moon opened Filelight instead, which is a disk usage analyzer tool. In the "preferred applications" menu, Thunar was the only available choice, and I actually had to add Filelight to the list so I could switch away from and back to Thunar.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2017-04-19, 02:37

Laurentius wrote:Thank you for you answer.
You're welcome. Sorry that what I posted wasn't any help and I hope one of the other suggestions you've received will work.

Laurentius

Unread post by Laurentius » 2017-04-19, 02:40

sadly, ythe workaround of Toa-Nuva didn't work for me.

Neither I could find any line related to the file manager at PM Preferences / Applications. Which one could it be troypulk?

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2017-04-19, 04:05

I would like to know how to tell Pale moon which file manager to use when clicking "open containing folder" on the downloads dialog.
In the down load dialog window choose "open with" then click on the little window and choose other.

After this navigate to your /usr/bin/ folder and choose thunar then ok, this should use thunar to open the file/folder you want.

Laurentius

Re: Default File manager to "open containing folder" (SOLVED)

Unread post by Laurentius » 2017-04-19, 22:40

Well. I think i found it, finally.
This did the trick, both for PM and FF:

Code: Select all

xdg-mime default Thunar-folder-handler.desktop inode/directory
as suggested by th.sigit here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/73979/s ... le-manager

Thank you!