Forum login timeout

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

PhilK

Forum login timeout

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-15, 21:54

I've noticed that a while after logging into the forum, my login session gets terminated and I have to re-login again. (eg within 30-60 minutes or so, though I haven't timed this)

This is even if I am still active on the forum after login, periodically opening and navigating pages and whatnot.

Is this by design?

I have cookies exterminator running but that shouldn't be an issue unless I had closed the last tab referencing a cookie holding the login-state, I would think.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Forum login timeout

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-16, 14:26

Unless you tell the forum to keep you signed in, it will sign you out after a period of inactivity.
If you are active in that time, it should refresh (as long as you're not using the back/forward navigation buttons that will pull pages from cache).

If it still logs you out while active, then i would certainly have a look at your cookie extensions. If cookies are removed or become mismatched, then it will log you out. Also, if your IP changes often, it may log you out with an IP change.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-16, 17:07

Thanks.

Another thing I realized is that I keep accidentally enabling an extension for changing the User-Agent because this extension has a UI issue with PM where it creates a large space in the toolbar that takes up 30% of the toolbar and which is invisible when it is disabled. So I don't see it, accidentally hit it and don't immediately notice it, and then my User-Agent changes.

I wonder if that is causing the forum SW to log me out if it looks like the client has changed when the UA changes.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-16, 17:29

There is a problem with Cookie Exterminator, see my thread here: Cookies Exterminator, weird behaviour

I have managed to get a couple of sites working normally, but i still have problems with some other webbsites.
Even if i whitelist those sites in Cookie Exterminator, i still get the "allow cookie ?"-question the next time i visit the same site.
Cookies are allowed, and saved in the browser (Options-Privacy-Cookies).

This forum works normally however, no "login-timeout".
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-16, 17:54

hackerman1 wrote:There is a problem with Cookie Exterminator, see my thread here: Cookies Exterminator, weird behaviour
Please provide the details I requested in the topic you mention. Otherwise I assume there are no problems, since I have no ones. :roll:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-16, 22:08

PhilK wrote:So I don't see it, accidentally hit it and don't immediately notice it, and then my User-Agent changes.
I wonder if that is causing the forum SW to log me out if it looks like the client has changed when the UA changes.
Most likely - it'd be considered a potential hijack of your session.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-16, 22:32

Moonchild wrote:Most likely - it'd be considered a potential hijack of your session.

That's probably it, then.

BTW - I don't see a "keep me logged-in" option at login time here. I do see "remember me" and "hide my online status" options.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-17, 01:59

Yeah "remember me" = keep me logged in. see forum software FAQ faq.php#f0r7

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-17, 07:36

Moonchild wrote:Yeah "remember me" = keep me logged in. see forum software FAQ faq.php#f0r7
Aha, thanks. That's one big FAQ ya got there, more stuff to read.. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-17, 11:23

PhilK wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Yeah "remember me" = keep me logged in. see forum software FAQ faq.php#f0r7
Aha, thanks. That's one big FAQ ya got there, more stuff to read.. :)
Just keep in mind I'm just a user/admin of the forum software. I can't really give support on its internal workings or features, that's the task of the people at phpbb.com

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-17, 12:34

Moonchild wrote:
PhilK wrote:Aha, thanks. That's one big FAQ ya got there, more stuff to read.. :)
Just keep in mind I'm just a user/admin of the forum software. I can't really give support on its internal workings or features, that's the task of the people at phpbb.com

For sure. And yep, I noticed after going through that it looked mostly like phpBB boilerplate. But it's useful, thanks.