why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Argonianaccount

why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Unread post by Argonianaccount » 2017-03-13, 17:53

Why is this warning Author Not Verified on every extension download even those from the palemoon addons site. Im the kind of person that tries to use as few addons as possible for 3 reasons:

*Addon becomes out of date, no longer supported stops working.
*Compromises browser security perhaps because it is no longer being updated or flawed from the get go.
*Addon compromises privacy.

So i would like to know why no author of any extension can be verified and this warning is always given! Thank you.

JustOff

Re: why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-15, 20:02

The ability of add-on signing for author verification was introduced by Mozilla about 10 years ago (in Firefox 2?), but I saw only one or two extensions that used this feature (Adblock Plus and ?). May be it's time just to remove this from install dialog because it actually means nothing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: why is every extension even those from the palemoon addons site Author not Verified??

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-15, 20:50

This discussion already happened. It stays for now. Bigger fish to fry than a bobble like this.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-16, 13:44

Not being privy to the prior discussion, I would like to know more about why this warning is in there, and why it cannot or will not be removed, and who made that decision. It may seem trivial, but to the end-user seeing this warning does not inspire confidence but rather doubt. This is a big deal to many users. Therefore, I would like to encourage the developers to remove it.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-16, 13:56

It isn't a warning. It is informational. Also, many users? This thread is the first time it has been brought up. I brought it up a year or two back.. But it just isn't important.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-16, 14:33

Signing an extension to verify author requires a code-signing certificate. Most extension developers who don't do this for a living will not want to spend the money required for such a certificate. As such, Pale Moon can't verify that the extension is published by the person who claims to be the author. Then again, that is what we have people for who check things before they are published on the add-ons site.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ArchieLukas

Unread post by ArchieLukas » 2017-04-14, 15:15

Thanks Moonchild for a real honest non-avoiding the subject answer.

Much appreciated

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-15, 21:33

Moonchild wrote:Signing an extension to verify author requires a code-signing certificate. Most extension developers who don't do this for a living will not want to spend the money required for such a certificate.....
I meant to thank you for an honest, straight-forward answer about this, too. Thanks.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀