Firejail & Pale Moon.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Spudozo

Firejail & Pale Moon.

Unread post by Spudozo » 2017-04-02, 10:59

Hi,

I have for quite some time run Pale Moon within Firejail with no issues. However since a recent Firejail/Tools upgrade I cannot get PM to run within that sandbox environment.
I do have the pm profile in Firejail which appears to be that which Fred Barclay wrote.

So what is missing?

AND

Do I need to run PM in a sandbox anyway? There seems to be differing opinions on this.

Running Linux MInt 18.1 Mate 1.16.1

Thanks.

lightning slinger

Re: Firejail & Pale Moon.

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-04-02, 11:09

I run PM in firejail in both Arch and Xubuntu 16.04.
I had to comment out (#) the following lines in the /etc/firejail/PM profile to get mine to run

private-bin palemoon
private-opt palemoon

Spudozo

Unread post by Spudozo » 2017-04-03, 11:52

Hello lightening slinger,

Thanks for that.

I'll give it a whirl and revert with the result.

Spudozo

Unread post by Spudozo » 2017-04-03, 14:35

Yo Great!

Worked a treat and comes up faster than ever!

Happy Bunny..... :D

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-04-05, 18:47

I'm experimenting with the Debian and Ubuntu builds I have in the openSUSE Build Service repo. I can get PM to start with just commenting out the opt line (#30 in /etc/firejail/palemoon.profile for firejail-0.9.4.10). I could add that patched version of firejail to the repository with an added epoch so it won't get overwritten by another repo's upgrade, but then you'll be dependent on me to keep firejail current. Or maybe they'll fix the profile upstream somehow.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-04-05, 19:51

stevepusser wrote:....I can get PM to start with just commenting out the opt line (#30 in /etc/firejail/palemoon.profile for firejail-0.9.4.10)....
Yes I can confirm that is the case with firejail version 0.9.44.10
Rather than editing the profiles in /etc/firejail with sudo, I have a folder in /home/user/.config/ named firejail with a number of local profiles in there where you can add ignore commands such as
ignore private-opt palemoon
prior to a line with the command
include /etc/firejail/palemoon.profile
and any other oddities such blacklisting or whitelisting other files or folders not in the /etc/firejail profiles.
Firejail will read the local profile first before reading the /etc/firejail profile! Plus it does not get overwritten with an upgrade of firejail as happens with the /etc/firejail profiles!