Can't install h264ify

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Eluandar

Can't install h264ify

Unread post by Eluandar » 2017-04-02, 15:26

Pale Moon version: 27.2.1 (32-bit) (Linux)

Hey guys,
I can't install h264ify --> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/

It says: "h264ify could not be installed because it is a Jetpack/SDK extension which are not supported in Pale Moon 27.2.1"

I found this website (http://developer.palemoon.org/Add-ons:E ... ns/Jetpack) and I tried to change "package.json".
At first I downloaded the .zip file of h264ify for Firefox (https://github.com/erkserkserks/h264ify-firefox) and followed the instructions from the website
but unfortunately I can't load the extension because it always says: "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt".

I am not a programmer and don't know how to handle this problem..
Hopefully there is someone who can help me..

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Can't install h264ify

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-04-02, 16:56

You can try installing it via the "Moon Tester Tool" found here.

But be forewarned:
Warning! Moon Tester Tool is intended for advanced users and for test purposes only!

Installation of improper extensions or themes may break the browser and lead to the damage or loss of data. You can't expect or ask for any support of extensions and themes installed via Moon Tester Tool neither from its authors, nor from developers of the browser.

edrtf20

Unread post by edrtf20 » 2017-04-02, 17:09

At first I downloaded the .zip file of h264ify for Firefox
I take it that you renamed the .zip to .xpi ?
If so, you may be missing the install.rdf as it isn't included in the .zip

Eluandar

Unread post by Eluandar » 2017-04-02, 17:14

helloimustbegoing wrote:You can try installing it via the "Moon Tester Tool" found here.

But be forewarned:
Warning! Moon Tester Tool is intended for advanced users and for test purposes only!

Installation of improper extensions or themes may break the browser and lead to the damage or loss of data. You can't expect or ask for any support of extensions and themes installed via Moon Tester Tool neither from its authors, nor from developers of the browser.
I already installed Moon Tester Tool but I don't really know how to use it.
I opened "Preferences" and "Select File" and chose the .xpi file I created but sadly nothing happens.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-04-02, 17:24

Install the original xpi file. Trying to install your altered one defeats the purpose of the Moon Tester Tool.

Eluandar

Unread post by Eluandar » 2017-04-02, 17:26

helloimustbegoing wrote:Install the original xpi file. Trying to install your altered one defeats the purpose of the Moon Tester Tool.
I tried to install the original xpi file by clicking on "Select File" and choosing the original .xpi file but still nothing happens.
Is it right to just rename .zip to .xpi ?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-02, 17:33

Eluandar wrote:I can't install h264ify --> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/
You don't need this add-on in Pale Moon, just make sure that "Enable MSE for WebM video" is unchecked under Options/Content. You can see actual codec used by YouTube player using "Stats for nerds" from video context menu. There should be avc1.4d401f of similar and not vp8/vp9.

Eluandar

Unread post by Eluandar » 2017-04-02, 19:56

JustOff wrote:
Eluandar wrote:I can't install h264ify --> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/
You don't need this add-on in Pale Moon, just make sure that "Enable MSE for WebM video" is unchecked under Options/Content. You can see actual codec used by YouTube player using "Stats for nerds" from video context menu. There should be avc1.4d401f of similar and not vp8/vp9.
Okay, thank you.
I would still like to have the "block 60fps" option. At least I could disable MSE.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-03, 14:16

Eluandar wrote:I would still like to have the "block 60fps" option. At least I could disable MSE.
Then use Moon Tester Tool to install xpi downloaded from AMO as suggested above. My brief test shows that h264ify loads fine using this way. Unfortunately I can't find any clip on YouTube that actually renders at 60fps in Pale Moon to verify if h264ify can prevent this.

Eluandar

Unread post by Eluandar » 2017-04-04, 14:47

JustOff wrote:
Eluandar wrote:I would still like to have the "block 60fps" option. At least I could disable MSE.
Then use Moon Tester Tool to install xpi downloaded from AMO as suggested above. My brief test shows that h264ify loads fine using this way. Unfortunately I can't find any clip on YouTube that actually renders at 60fps in Pale Moon to verify if h264ify can prevent this.
Thank you, it works now.
I guess it was wrong to download h264ify from GitHub.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-05, 09:37

Eluandar wrote:Thank you, it works now.
Could you share any example of clip where h264ify actually prevents from rendering at 60fps?

Eluandar

Unread post by Eluandar » 2017-04-05, 10:27

JustOff wrote:
Could you share any example of clip where h264ify actually prevents from rendering at 60fps?
Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4C4LNwu-A

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-05, 11:34

Eluandar wrote:Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4C4LNwu-A
Thanks, it works there.

But I have to warn you that h264ify has potential security hole because it exposes its chrome script to the web without any wrappers. Fortunately it does so only for '*.youtube.com' and we can expect that no malicious scripts will be there, but anyway it's quite unsafe.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-05, 11:50

Perhaps this extension needs added to the blocklist...

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-05, 13:53

I've added control of 60fps and WebM Video to HTML5 Media Tuner so you should consider it as safe replacement of h264ify that also works not only on YouTube.

Eluandar

Unread post by Eluandar » 2017-04-05, 16:37

JustOff wrote:
I've added control of 60fps and WebM Video to HTML5 Media Tuner so you should consider it as safe replacement of h264ify that also works not only on YouTube.
Cool, thanks a lot! :thumbup: