Discord Webapp no longer working Topic is solved

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
ffomega

Discord Webapp no longer working

Unread post by ffomega » 2017-03-17, 05:30

Hi. I am using Windows XP Pro with service pack 3. My version of pale moon is 26.5.0. For the past several months now, I switched to Pale Moon because this laptop has only 2 GB of physical RAM, and Firefox is taking most, if not, all of it when it runs. I figured running Pale Moon would greatly improve my laptop's performance (and it has). I was able to use Discord's web app for awhile with no issues (except being the inability to use a mic...understandable, and something worth overlooking). However, last night, Pale Moon started to chug a little bit and it needed to be closed out via the task manager. Since then, all of Discord's services are broken. I can only partially access the main site's page, but the login screen loads to a blank page. Some of the scripts fail to work, yet there seem to be no known issues. The main app for Discord also loads to a blank page.

I have been running Discord's web app for the last 3 months on this browser with no issues until yesterday. Would there be any possible reason/solution? I tried opening the web app in Firefox and it still works, so it's not a Discord thing....it seems like a Pale Moon thing. I tried emptying browser history and clearing cookies. Discord can't be run on Windows XP unless you run it through the web app, and I really can't run Firefox alongside Pale Moon and other things I have running JUST to use Discord (even by itself, Firefox steadily and slowly eats away at system resources). Before this happened, even with the browser open 24/7, and Discord running in one of its tabs, the total memory used on this machine never exceeded 50% with just the browser running. Firefox easily reaches that by itself over time, and eventually freezes up and needs to be killed...

I'd very much like to use it in Pale Moon again for Discord if it's possible....

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Discord Webapp no longer working

Unread post by Greywool » 2017-03-17, 09:51

You could try with a clean profile (at the bottom of the first post). If that doesn't help, try out the other things to do in the OP. Remember to make a backup of your profile and other essentials before you reset PM though, just in case.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-03-17, 12:57

In my honest opinion, 2gb of RAM is not enough for everyday browsing anymore. Working computers with at least 4gb of RAM can be bought on eBay for cheap these days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-17, 13:03

ffomega wrote:no issues until yesterday
ffomega wrote:I tried opening the web app in Firefox and it still works, so it's not a Discord thing....it seems like a Pale Moon thing.
Did you change anything in Pale Moon yesterday? If not, how do you come to this conclusion that is seems to be the browser's fault?

Obviously, Discord changed something on their site that doesn't break its functionality in Firefox, but does in Pale Moon. Discord can provide answers as to what changed and what the reason for this breakage might be. Technical details would help if they answer.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ffomega

Unread post by ffomega » 2017-03-19, 11:33

No changes have been made to the browser since before discord stopped working.

I contacted discord via facebook and they simply said "unfortunately we don't offer windows xp support" and left it at that, most likely because it was an issue involving windows xp. They dismissed it without giving consideration that it may or may not have impacted Pale Moon in some way. There are others who have run into this issue (found on reddit). The only reason I suggested it could be Pale Moon is because discord's web app still works on other browsers, browsers which use more resources than pale Moon, browsers who have had plugin and updates many times over done to them and the web app still runs without any problems. Also because there are a few others out there who have run into this issue as well, and recently (the reddit post I found was posted 8 days ago as of this post).

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/com ... d_getting/

The original poster claimed to have had his issue fixed, but his responder did not.

I run windows xp for other programs that simply cannot run on newer operating systems, and as such I use it for compatibility purposes. If this *is* a discord related issue, then I'm out of luck asking for help from discord on the basis of having windows xp.

lazyaccountname

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-03-26, 23:44

Didn't PM 27 change something related to how it renders pages? I checked on a different computer which can use that version, and Discord seems to work as expected in there so I guess they just changed something that breaks compatibility with older versions of Firefox. In fact, the site doesn't seem to work on a normal, blank profile portable version of Firefox 24 so that seems to be exactly the problem.

I guess I should try checking other older versions of Firefox and submit a proper bug report to the Discord people after I've gathered enough data.

lazyaccountname

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-03-28, 22:45

Yeah, I've confirmed it. Looks like every version of Firefox before 25 fails to render Discord properly (and IIRC, Pale Moon is based on Fx 24) so if you're stuck on PM 26.5.0 just like me, there might not be much you can do. PM 27 has an updated engine that renders the site properly, it would be nice if that change could be backported into the 26.x branch but I don't think that's how things work.

I guess the best choice you have if you want to stay on Firefox but you dislike what's become of it and you can't update past PM 27 is to go back to Firefox 28, the last version before Australis became the default theme.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-05-19, 14:32

At this point I'd recommenced you switch to one of lightweight Linux distros so that you have access to the latest version of the browser without having to buy a brand new computer.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-20, 15:19

To be 100% clear here: we can't and won't backport anything to previous versions, even more so previous milestones. If you run into web compatibility issues while using an older version (that isn't a problem with the current release) the only way to properly address it will be to update.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lazyaccountname

Unread post by lazyaccountname » 2017-06-15, 21:15

I don't think anything needs to be done anymore, the issue seems to have solved itself and Discord is working on this ancient version again for some reason.

maryhaugen

Unread post by maryhaugen » 2017-08-18, 11:19

To be 100% clear here: we can't and won't backport anything to previous versions, even more so previous milestones.
. I very agree with you.

YManMoonPale

Unread post by YManMoonPale » 2017-11-28, 20:04

Just a few hours ago I can no longer use Discord in the Pale Moon browser. I am running Windows 10 & have 4gb of RAM. I know Discord prevents less popular browsers (including Pale Moon) from using Voice Channels. I fear they have done something similar to all access.

YManMoonPale

Unread post by YManMoonPale » 2017-11-28, 22:52

I had to reboot a few times but somehow it's working again thank goodness. Not sure what was going on with it though. It was still working with Firefox when it would not work in Pale Moon.