Installed Pale Moon x64 Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
robert-e

Installed Pale Moon x64 Linux

Unread post by robert-e » 2017-02-17, 06:04

Greetings,
I found out today that Mozilla is about to require PulseAudio in future versions. It has become bloated with pocket and reader, and started to restrict addons, but since I did not update to the most recent versions, I kept using it.

PulseAudio has caused and continues to cause my laptop to crash, and I had continued to use alsa. So today I installed Pale Moon, and hope for a long and happy relationship. My needs are rather simple: I will not stand for any software
that "fones home" without my express permission. It must be relatively secure and free from bugs (understanding that there are no absolutes in this realm). However, bugs should be addressed in a timely manner. It must continue to be
available in linux (I don't do windows for many years).

The main devs of Pale Moon should conduct themselves in an adult manner on this board...this is not a deal breaker, but I lament some of the foolishness of M. A. T. in past times...it reflects poorly on this good software. It is the reason it
took me so long to start using Pale Moon.

All of the above is said in good faith; and not to stir things up. Finally, thank you Steve, for making this browser available for Linux.

Best Regards,
Bob

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Installed Pale Moon x64 Linux

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-17, 09:07

Welcome to the forum Bob!
robert-e wrote:My needs are rather simple: I will not stand for any software
that "fones home" without my express permission. It must be relatively secure and free from bugs (understanding that there are no absolutes in this realm). However, bugs should be addressed in a timely manner. It must continue to be
available in linux (I don't do windows for many years).
Unfortunately I think Pale Moon will not be able to meet your high demands - by design it does "phone home" for updates and similar automatically. There are also most definitely no absolutes in the "no bugs" realm, especially since it regularly is up for debate these days if something is a browser bug or not, and it all depends on what you consider "a timely manner". We are a small team.
robert-e wrote:The main devs of Pale Moon should conduct themselves in an adult manner on this board...
They most definitely do. If you consider a response to personal attacks not "adult" then I think you should read up a little on human psychology. We are a community of people here, not a corporate machine. Every name has a person behind it, a person with feelings and a life, with emotions, ups and downs, with virtues and faults. So, if you fault anyone for that, then you're certainly skirting around the edge of stirring things up, and I'd appreciate it if you don't.
robert-e wrote:Finally, thank you Steve, for making this browser available for Linux.
I have to correct you here: Steve didn't make the browser available for Linux. Steve just created the distro package for Debian and Ubuntu (with a few bumps along the road) -- it was access2godzilla who made the first available Linux version, and Travis (trava90) is our main Linux dev and maintainer who keeps making Linux versions available and updated, as well as improving the code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2017-03-13, 00:38

Hi !
I am new here :)
I use PaleMoon from sometime like alternative browser to Firefox and SeaMonkey.
I like very much this project and now that Firefox is abandoned Alsa for Pulseaudio, now i use PaleMoon like the first browser together to SeaMonkey.
Good and good work to everyone :clap:
Bye
Francesco bat

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad english :roll:

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-03-14, 19:32

Currently it is possible to add alsa support back into Firefox with a mozconfig option and a rebuild of the program, but Mozilla says that option will be removed in version 54. I was able to add the flag to the Debian Sid FF-52 source and backport it on the OBS, but Mozilla also plans to make it only build with the Rust compiler soon, and Rust's not really feasible to backport.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-14, 19:56

francesco bat wrote:Hi !
I use PaleMoon from sometime like alternative browser to Firefox and SeaMonkey.
I like very much this project and now that Firefox is abandoned Alsa for Pulseaudio, now i use PaleMoon like the first browser together to SeaMonkey.
Did this change happen before FF 52? I put a hold on apt updates of Firefox at 52, but maybe I waited too late to hold. :(

Off-topic:
P.S. I'm sorry for my bad english :roll:
Il tuo inglese è abbastanza buono! :)
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-03-14, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-14, 20:00

stevepusser wrote:Currently it is possible to add alsa support back into Firefox with a mozconfig option and a rebuild of the program, but Mozilla says that option will be removed in version 54. I was able to add the flag to the Debian Sid FF-52 source and backport it on the OBS, but Mozilla also plans to make it only build with the Rust compiler soon, and Rust's not really feasible to backport.
Could you send me a pm with some more details with explicit instructions how do that, particularly for Ubuntu?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-03-18, 00:08

I don't know why it has to be in a private message--and it also depends on how exactly you are building Firefox...basically it's having a line in mozconfig

Code: Select all

ac_add_option   --enable-alsa
and making sure you have the alsa headers package installed--for Debian type systems, it's libasound2-dev.

There's also supposed to be a "fake" pulseaudio out there that's supposed to fool programs that require pulseaudio, called apulse. I think there's a PPA for it out there--I saw it in reference to Skype.

ajmacleod

Unread post by ajmacleod » 2017-03-19, 03:03

I'm yet another grateful refugee having finally been pushed into dumping Firefox over the decision to require PulseAudio. I hope and trust that Pale Moon will not do the same!

I've been impressed by the fact that you appear to be actually interested in what your users want (of course it's not always possible to provide that, but Mozilla seem to take a perverse kind of delight in taking things away no matter how important they are to users!)

Thanks too to whoever provides the Gentoo overlay which I build from - I am really surprised (but happy) at how painless it was to ditch FF for PM.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-03-20, 20:48

I've built apulse 0.1.9 for Debian 8, and have had reports that does work to "fool" Firefox into thinking you have a pulseaudio server when you just have alsa instead. But this is getting off topic on a Pale Moon forum.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2017-03-25, 02:27

Just wanted to say how awesome PM for Linux is. I'm using it every day, basically living in my browser. It's so fast and smooth. Though I disabled smooth scrolling because I like it better that way.

Good to know there are other people who dislike pulseaudio. I actually have it enabled on my current system, but it's generally POS software. Linux in general going downhill since "Lennart-ware" became the norm. In a world like this sane software is a real blessing. :thumbup:

I'm on version 27.2.0, will soon update to latest. PM UI is just as elegant and fast as the rendering engine.

I'm waiting for problems to appear, because this is too good to be true. A small team making Mozilla look like a bunch of amateurs...

Have you seen the latest Firefox mock-ups?

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/24/here-i ... ew-design/

I won't try to describe it because I don't want to use those words. :mrgreen: