kizo07

about:trolls

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-03-04, 18:17

Is it possible to implement, here on forum, something like this:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/02/new ... u-comment/

Also, if possible, including this too:
✔ I have read Board rules/F.A.Q.
✔ I have read Troubleshooting/Known Issues
✔ I have searched forum and other forums too.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: about:trolls

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-04, 18:26

My general opinion is this: If you feel you need to implement such measures then perhaps the medium in question should be shut down or limited to vetted people.

While it gets quite old having to tell people what should be common sense.. One continues doing it to drive the point home and perhaps the next person will see it and learn from it.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-03-05, 01:49

I think we could use something like that in every aspect of society (as long as it isn't run by google).
I'd like people to have to pass a quiz before they can phone or email me, or reply to my forum posts.

P.S. I was a little disappointed this wasn't about an easter-egg type hidden about page.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-05, 14:10

I blame millennials.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-03-07, 16:30

Moonchild wrote:I blame millennials.
Why blame a whole generation?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-07, 19:27

half-moon wrote:
Moonchild wrote:I blame millennials.
Why blame a whole generation?
Because sometimes generalizations are closer to the truth than people like to admit ;)

Real quote I heard the other day: "I refuse to learn anything more until you can prove to me that Google won't be around forever."

Please don't take what I said too literally! It's meant in good spirit.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-03-07, 21:07

I think that quotes can be very useful for those who want to learn something:

Laziness is our worst enemy! - Mahatma Gandhi
We must love our enemies! - Martin Luther King

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-03-08, 03:00

kizo07 wrote:I think that quotes can be very useful for those who want to learn something:

Laziness is our worst enemy! - Mahatma Gandhi
We must love our enemies! - Martin Luther King
So let me see if I get this right, your saying we need to love laziness? :think:

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-03-08, 11:26

Thehandyman1957 wrote:get this right
You call it laziness, but we millennials call it selective participation.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-03-14, 18:21

Unless its not owned by google, nothing bad with this.
you call it laziness, but we millennials call it selective participation
Off-topic:
This is rather good example of modern cultivated apples and oranges strictly horse stuff, however i stand for laziness with normal working load.
People produce so called "smart" devices, but become less smart themselves, consider this is give away a part of the thinking brain to the smart device, but why? Free more room in the head? What will happened if too much brain is given away, and people lost ability to produce new "smart" devices.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-14, 19:33

Fedor2 wrote:Unless its not owned by google, nothing bad with this.
you call it laziness, but we millennials call it selective participation
Off-topic:
This is rather good example of modern cultivated apples and oranges strictly horse stuff, however i stand for laziness with normal working load.
People produce so called "smart" devices, but become less smart themselves, consider this is give away a part of the thinking brain to the smart device, but why? Free more room in the head? What will happened if too much brain is given away, and people lost ability to produce new "smart" devices.
Off-topic:
Just make sure we make machines that can make new machines. Problem solved until the Cylons rebel. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-15, 10:52

Off-topic:
CharmCityCrab wrote:Just make sure we make machines that can make new machines. Problem solved until the Cylons rebel.
More likely will be that there will be nobody left to fix the machines and things will break down.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-03-15, 18:57

Off-topic:
More likely will be that there will be nobody left to fix the machines
Found good show of this

Bulwark - last day of the last war
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UZcispcGBs

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-03-15, 19:38

Sometimes I am amazed that I was able to live life without a single digital device for so many decades. And now I possess skills that many here lack (especially millennials). If the cloud and the net get crashed badly and do not get put back up, I will be able to survive while watching most people run around like chickens with no heads.

I can actually find answers from books.
I can read a paper map and find my way all over.
I can write a letter and know how to mail it.
I can do math in my head.
I can use a manual typewriter.
I can cook- I won't starve when the apps for ordering food stop working.

Long live the post war baby boom generation :wave:
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-15, 22:29

TwoTankAmin wrote:Sometimes I am amazed that I was able to live life without a single digital device for so many decades. And now I possess skills that many here lack (especially millennials). If the cloud and the net get crashed badly and do not get put back up, I will be able to survive while watching most people run around like chickens with no heads.

I can actually find answers from books.
I actually picked up a paper book for the first time in at least five years a couple weeks ago. It was a weird experience. I used to read paper books all the time when I was younger, before I switched to ebooks, and it was weird how at this stage of things reading a paper book was both deeply familiar and also a bit alien. It's like driving by a place you used to live at and haven't seen in a few years. I prefer my ebooks (This was just something that was not available in ebook form, out of print. So I took the format I could get it in- dead tree format. ;) ).

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-03-15, 23:48

Off-topic:
CharmCityCrab wrote:So I took the format I could get it in- dead tree format.
Ha! Dead tree format - thanks for that. From now on, I am going to refer to all of my physical books as DTF files. :D
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-03-16, 19:22

TwoTankAmin wrote:Sometimes I am amazed that I was able to live life without a single digital device for so many decades. And now I possess skills that many here lack (especially millennials). If the cloud and the net get crashed badly and do not get put back up, I will be able to survive while watching most people run around like chickens with no heads.
Best not to overgeneralize a whole generation bud, okay? ;)
TwoTankAmin wrote:I can actually find answers from books.
So can I, but it's certainly easier to find information you need on the internet. That is in fact why it's there.
TwoTankAmin wrote:I can read a paper map and find my way all over.
I can read a map too. I guess the fact I can read a map makes me special huh? (I'm being sarcastic obviously)
TwoTankAmin wrote:I can write a letter and know how to mail it.
So can I.
TwoTankAmin wrote:I can do math in my head.
Meh, it depends on the math. I certainly helps to have some pencil and paper for more complex problems.
TwoTankAmin wrote:I can use a manual typewriter.
So?
TwoTankAmin wrote:I can cook- I won't starve when the apps for ordering food stop working.
Everybody else can cook too.

Sorry if this post may sound like I'm being rude, but I think it's wrong and rude to suggest that one generation can be superior to another.

Luna Tic

Unread post by Luna Tic » 2017-03-16, 21:12

half-moon wrote:it's wrong and rude to suggest that one generation can be superior to another.
So evolution got cancelled?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-16, 22:03

I think there's no real point in continuing this discussion thread here.
If you want to (politely) discuss generalizations of generations and the impact thereof on society and people's individual opinions, feel free to do so in the general discussion board.