can't play videos on vimeo and dailymotion

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: can't play videos on vimeo and dailymotion

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-12-13, 18:57

Debian-based distros can have libav and ffmpeg runtime libraries installed at the same time, because they are versioned. So I have libavcodec56 provided by libav and libavcodec57 provided by a backported ffmpeg 3.2. I can have only one -dev development package that they provide installed at one time, which gives me some flexibilty--if I build against libavcodec-dev from libav, then the program will depend on libavcodec56, but if I use ffmpeg's -dev package, then it will depend on libavcodec57.

If PM can build against either libav or ffmpeg, that's good news for me and the OBS repository, since I can just specify the -dev packages as build-depends, and the openSUSE build service will just use the stock versions of those shipped with the Debian or Ubuntu release. That is, Ubuntu before 16.04 and the Debians will use libav, Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 will use ffmpeg.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-12-13, 21:52

Walter Dnes wrote:Thanks; the name "libavcodec" had me confused. Most Gentoo users run with ffmpeg, but a few run with libav. It's one of those situations where "there can only be one". When 27.1 is released, the announcement should mention that it'll work against either of ffmpeg and libav. Till now, all the talk has been about ffmpeg.
Yes, libavcodec is a component of both FFmpeg and LibAV (which is actually a fork of FFmpeg). So we'll be able to use either one.
stevepusser wrote:So I have libavcodec56 provided by libav and libavcodec57 provided by a backported ffmpeg 3.2. I can have only one -dev development package that they provide installed at one time, which gives me some flexibilty--if I build against libavcodec-dev from libav, then the program will depend on libavcodec56, but if I use ffmpeg's -dev package, then it will depend on libavcodec57.
The necessary heades are going to be bundled in with our source so there will not be a need for building against the system -dev packages of either. Building against system-installed packages also has the potential to create some inconsistencies between our binaries, depending on what -dev package versions are used (Mozilla ran into this very issue, hence the bundling of required headers).

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2017-02-11, 18:47

Ok, and again I just received the update via repository and I have now PM 27.1.0. Still under Mint 18 Cinnamon.
Now when watching a video, for example h 264, after some minutes or even at once the picture gets frozen and I cannot continue to watch it.
It does NOT depend on the bandwidth. For example a file is about 150 MB and I stream it. I can use "Download Flash and Video" to download it in 5 minutes.
Now I got over to watch the video, immediately download it with the extension and then open the unfinishedly downloaded file in VLC. This works. But when watching it in the browser, it gets stuck.

Honestly a little annoying. There was some message when the updater mentioned the new version of PM, that there are three new dependencies, i think ffmpeg and two others.
But honestly I don't always want to read in forums and try to find some strange preferences after an update of PM. I am just a user...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-11, 19:26

I have to guess that you mean Youtube videos are having problems, and that you are using the Ubuntu 16.04 builds.

There are some standard troubleshooting things to try--one is to start "palemoon" from the browser to see if any error messages appear when the video locks up.

Another is to try the binary build from Palemoon direct and see if it does the same thing with the same video. If it does, it's could be something outside the browser that's related to ffmpeg and might be fixed with a ffmpeg upgrade.

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2017-02-12, 07:58

stevepusser wrote:I have to guess that you mean Youtube videos are having problems, and that you are using the Ubuntu 16.04 builds.

There are some standard troubleshooting things to try--one is to start "palemoon" from the browser to see if any error messages appear when the video locks up.

Another is to try the binary build from Palemoon direct and see if it does the same thing with the same video. If it does, it's could be something outside the browser that's related to ffmpeg and might be fixed with a ffmpeg upgrade.

You guessed correctly, but also as the subject implies, it is about dailymotion and vimeo and so on, the problem is everywhere.
By the way, I do not use flash.
I don't know what You mean, starting palemoon from the browser.

About ffmpeg, it is as I wrote, there was an update together with Palemoon, on which I didn't have influence.

About binary or whatever you suggest, I have no idea and it is too complicated for me. I have not so much time, I just want to use the browser.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-12, 15:33

My wife just watched a few vimeo videos on her Mint 18 machine and they played without issues.
plonkomat wrote:I don't know what You mean, starting palemoon from the browser.
Steve means try starting Pale Moon from the terminal and let us know of any error messages that are displayed when playing video.

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2017-02-12, 18:04

trava90 wrote:My wife just watched a few vimeo videos on her Mint 18 machine and they played without issues.
plonkomat wrote:I don't know what You mean, starting palemoon from the browser.
Steve means try starting Pale Moon from the terminal and let us know of any error messages that are displayed when playing video.
Hmmm, No error messages. After 5 minutes of one video have passed it gets frozen and gets to framerate of about 1 fps or even less. impossible to watch.
I didn't do any change on my system. It was after the PM update including three dependencies.
No other programs are open, i have enough RAM, ... what can i say?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-12, 19:29

For the binary, you just download the tarball for your platform from Pale Moon, extract the archive, enter the new folder, and run the palemoon file that's in it. Most desktops will launch the executable if you click on it, but it's also possible in the terminal with

Code: Select all

./palemoon
What does this command say about your ffmpeg and libav-tools packages?

apt-cache policy ffmpeg libav-tools

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2017-02-12, 20:34

stevepusser wrote:For the binary, you just download the tarball for your platform from Pale Moon, extract the archive, enter the new folder, and run the palemoon file that's in it. Most desktops will launch the executable if you click on it, but it's also possible in the terminal with

./palemoon
What does this command say about your ffmpeg and libav-tools packages?

apt-cache policy ffmpeg libav-tools
1) I didn't try to download the binary
2) The apt-cache-thing NOW shows:

ffmpeg:
  Installiert:           7:2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Installationskandidat: 7:2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 7:2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 500
        500 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     7:2.8.6-1ubuntu2 500
        500 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
libav-tools:
  Installiert:           7:2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Installationskandidat: 7:2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 7:2.8.10-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 500
        500 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe i386 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     7:2.8.6-1ubuntu2 500
        500 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/ubuntu xenial/universe i386 Packages
3) I did the apt-cache-thing earlier and understood, that libav-tools- was not installed
4) I installed the package and now everything works fine.
5) Thank You :-) !
6) Somehow I had a deja-vu and found, what I wrote in this thread on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:44 pm ....

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-13, 23:09

That is making my head hurt, because on 16.04, libav-tools is just a dummy package that brings in ffmpeg. :wtf:

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2017-02-14, 09:46

stevepusser wrote:That is making my head hurt, because on 16.04, libav-tools is just a dummy package that brings in ffmpeg. :wtf:
OK, eveything back!

It worked temporarily.

Now again: The same problem...
After 5 or 6 minutes the stream gets stuck.

With HD streams it happens earlier.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-16, 23:29

Try disabling MSE while on Vimeo and see if that improves playback.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-02-17, 04:23

trava90 wrote:Try disabling MSE while on Vimeo and see if that improves playback.
Bingo! We have a winner.

Vimeo now plays for me using 64 bit linux Pale Moon in 64 bit linux Mint 18.1 (Serena) Xfce and also 32 bit windows Pale Moon in 64 bit Windows 7.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-23, 02:54

To those having this problem, can you please try using today's unstable build with default MSE settings?

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-23, 07:08

trava90 wrote:To those having this problem, can you please try using today's unstable build with default MSE settings?
Seems to work OK at Vimeo with MSE ON and MSE for MP4 video OFF.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-23, 07:24

Terryphi wrote:Seems to work OK at Vimeo with MSE ON and MSE for MP4 video OFF.
It still doesn't work with MSE + MP4 ON in today's unstable build?

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-23, 07:31

trava90 wrote:
Terryphi wrote:Seems to work OK at Vimeo with MSE ON and MSE for MP4 video OFF.
It still doesn't work with MSE + MP4 ON in today's unstable build?
No.

plonkomat

Unread post by plonkomat » 2017-02-26, 16:48

For me, the problem still exists with several streaming sites.

With Firefox everything is working fine without problems...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-26, 21:21

I am not able to play videos at vimeo, either, nor at YouTube or anywhere else I have tried so far. It's a complete non-starter -- I just get the throbber or a spinning progress bar or some such.

This is rather new; I can't quite tell you when it happened because I haven't streamed videos in a while. I used to be able to do this, so it must have happened after upgrading to 27.

I suspected this may have started when I changed to "true" the media.autoplay.allowscripted and media.autoplay.enabled settings in about:config to make the audio work at http://www.duolingo.com . However, when I changed them back to "false", this didn't change anything.

Right now, I am using PM 27.1.0 (64-bit) in Ubuntu 14.0.5 .

EDIT: Gnomeplayer crashed when I tired to play a video at YouTube just now (pn PM)
I also got rid of Flashblock, but that made no difference, either.
As a comoparison, I am able to play videos at SeaMonkey without any problems.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-26, 21:30

trava90 wrote:Try disabling MSE while on Vimeo and see if that improves playback.
How do you disable MSE?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀