Flash Player vs. HTML5 Player in v27

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

techX

Flash Player vs. HTML5 Player in v27

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-21, 21:03

Hello,

i would like to know how to resolve the issue of the videoplay in new version of 27. I did notice that some websites turned to HTML5 from Flash Player. The point is that with new version v27 those websites i.e. their video content is not playable. With v26 there is still no problem. What is the cause of this, please? Is it some temporary error and will it be fixed with upcomming update?

Anyway, one user named GMforker did mention here that it is possible to force Flash Player to those websites with HTML5 Player. He did mention this script "gstream.js" - http://scz.hit.gemius.pl/gstream.js
I would like to know how to deal with this file, where to copy that?

Also there was mentioned mod in "about:config":
general.useragent.override.ceskatelevize.cz
= Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.9 Chrome (Pale Moon)
= Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.9 Microsoft (Pale Moon)
= Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.9 Safari (Pale Moon)

So again, what to do with this, please?

Hope that somebody will be able to help and explain the procedure.
Thank you
XT

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Flash Player vs. HTML5 Player in v27

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-02-21, 21:37

Go to your Preferences, and look under the Content tab. At the bottom under Video, look at "Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE)." If it's checked, uncheck it. If it's unchecked, check it. Let us know if this helps.

techX

Re: Flash Player vs. HTML5 Player (v27.1.1)

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-23, 03:17

So i downloaded and installed new PM v27.1.1 Portable 32-bit because It is much better to work with blank new installation to eliminate any add-on issues. The problem persists with new PM 27.1.1 - i can not play HTML5 video (for example on this livestreaming website with HTML5 Player: http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24#live).

Anyway, i noticed very strange behaviour of new Pale Moon!
When i enter the website on the video screen is shown video advertisement that is not played (i.e. there is a screenshot only and a button saying to go forward) - PICTURE 1. So this is first moment showing up that there is something wrong - the video is not played automaticaly. Anyway, when i click the button to go forward the live streaming is in order but nothing happens - there is pernamently loading status - PICTURE 2. But what is disturbing about that is that Pale Moon takes up to 100% CPU! When i close the website with video the CPU goes to normal. So there is some serious bug.

I tried to experiment with settings "Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE)" in "Content tab" at "Video" section but nothing happened. At my older installation of v27.1.0 i had also MSE enabled, i tried to disable that but it did not help ei. Same it goes with v27.1.1.

So there is some trouble with videoplay in v27.

Any idea how to resolve this?
And also.. can you help me and answer my questions about the script "gstream.js"- i asked for that SPECIFICALLY.
Thank you.
Attachments
pic. 1
pic. 1
pic. 2
pic. 2

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-23, 04:46

Are you having problems with ALL HTML5 videos (as seems to be suggested), or is it only with live streaming HTML5 video?

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-23, 14:26

Well i can not say if the problem is matter of all HTML5 videos. But i can say that on the website http://www.ceskatelevize.cz normal videos does not work neither (for example the video here: http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/1044 ... 058090218/). I have verified that they run on HTML5 Player now.

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-02-23, 18:29

hi techX!
techX wrote:PICTURE 1. So this is first moment showing up that there is something wrong - the video is not played automaticaly. Anyway, when i click the button to go forward @ installed new PM v27.1.1 Portable 32-bit because It is much better to work with blank new installation to eliminate any add-on issues.
the reason in this case is ads (lack of any adblock addon) 8-)

Solution with Flash Player:

1) Go in the url field to the address about:config

2) Right mouse click - new - string

3) copy in the first field the following value:
general.useragent.override.ceskatelevize.cz

4) In the next field which is upcoming after that one enter this:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-23, 22:49

Thank you, Al6bus for the confirmation of Flash solution;) I exactly wanted to know this information just to be sure. It works now, i mean with the Flash Player. At least something;) I guess now PM masks itself as an older IE version and asking for Flash Player. Another variations of strings (mentioned above) are also possible, they do same thing - mask PM with another browser type.

Can you tell me what GMforker user meant with the script "gstream.js" - http://scz.hit.gemius.pl/gstream.js.
Is this also some kind of solution?

And mainly, how about native HTML5 video play with v27?!
Will it be possible to play videos in HTML5 Player without Flash fixes?
I still prefer 'pure' native solution, of course.

p.s.: no, to add any AdBlocker is not solution. In the case i do the picture 1. disappears but picture 2. is still there i.e. the video can not be loaded and played. The videoplay should work on blank new installation without any add-on isntalled but it obviously does not work. The problem with HTML5 Player in v27 persists.

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-24, 00:16

p.s.: i thought that the solution with about:config works but it does NOT! After i restart Pale Moon whole string "general.useragent.override.ceskatelevize.cz @ Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0)" is deleted and i have to add the string again (what is very strange)...

Any help??

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-24, 01:08

techX wrote:with HTML5 Player
With MSE+mp4 enabled, HTML5 works here. What is strange, needs many continuing clicking in uBo+uMatrix (tens of connections to 80.188.78. ... addresses)
...more strange, with uBo and uMatrix disabled not working?!

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-02-24, 06:48

techX wrote:Can you tell me what GMforker user meant with the script "gstream.js" - http://scz.hit.gemius.pl/gstream.js.
You can view this file's contents:

Code: Select all

this.isOpera = function(){
			return (window.opera);
		}

this.isSafari = function(){
			if(this.isChrome()) return false;
			return (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('safari') != -1);
		}

this.isChrome = function(){
			return (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('chrome') != -1);
		}

this.isIE = function(){
			return (navigator.appName.toLowerCase().indexOf("microsoft") != -1);
		}

this.isFF = function(){
			return (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf("firefox") != -1);
		}
I didn't mean anything more than that. This is a workaround, not a fix. Nothing more and nothing less.

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-24, 13:03

To GMforker:
Ok, thanks for the note. I thought that this file "gstream.js" is some kind of fix. Now it is clear.

To kizo07:
On clean install of PM v27.1.1 Portable 32-bit with MME+MP4 enabled (by default) i installed uM and uB. I tried to allow in uM some keys they worked with my v26 with Flash Player. The result? Just nothing happened, no video. BUT THE CPU IS UP TO 100% BECAUSE OF PM!
So this method of trial and error with uM and uB is a puzzle for what i have no time and it can not be taken as a serious way how to enebale HTML5 Player in PM v27. Just see my uM printscreent;)
But if you managed by some kind of miracle or accident to allow HTML5 Player in v27 send me your printscreen of your uM and also uB set up (in uB i used default settings). If you have some logical way and working procedure tell us about it. I can try it. But until there is no such procedure i have to claim that HTML5 on v27 does not work (at least on this server http://www.ceskatelevize.cz).
Try to emulate your HTML5 videoplay on NEW blank PM portable installation - http://relmirror.palemoon.org/release/P ... .win32.exe - to verify if your procedure works.

Anyway, it seems that the Flash Player enforcement is the best solution for now. Can anybody tell me why the string "general.useragent.override.ceskatelevize.cz @ Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0)" disappear after the restart of the PM? How to keep it there?
Attachments
uM_ct.jpg

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-24, 13:46

It was more as a observation for devs, than a functional working claim (FYI, html5 works in mostly cases just fine here).
I understand that this site 'ceskatelevize' is important for you...but for me is adds/scripts to heavy...I rather use something else.
With constantly refresh/clicks and white listing (everything inkl frames) in uMatrix (especially those 80.188.78...) + MSE/MP4, html5 anyway works.

btw. if you are on Win and use IP4/ IP6, maybe this patch can help
patch

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-24, 20:33

To kizo07:
Well again, i will try to explain you: I do not have time to experiment with hunderds of possibility in uM. This is not a proper solution (btw i tried that for several minutes to play with that but without the result).
Blank new installation of PM is unable to play HTML5 video by default = it is a bug. So please, do not force the opinion that everything works when obviously it does not work. And also, the bahaviour that PM takes 100% is not normal and it must be fixed, i believe! Btw, http://www.ceskatelevize.cz website is not important for me more than another one. It is a matter of principle i.e. it shows that something (HTML5 Player) DOES NOT WORK HERE BY DEFAULT! I think that it was written two or three times here and in other threads. Now it is a question on people who will be able to fix it with upcomming PM upadte.

Does anybody know how to why the string "general.useragent.override.ceskatelevize.cz @ Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0)" disappear after the restart of the PM? How to keep it in about:config??

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-24, 21:47

Dear techX,
I hear how upset and angry you are, I'd feel that way if this happened to me to.
Well again, i will try to explain you:
kizo07 wrote:It was more as a observation for devs, than a functional working claim (FYI, html5 works in mostly cases just fine here).
I understand that this site 'ceskatelevize' is important for you...but for me is adds/scripts to heavy...I rather use something else.
and once again, just in case:
kizo07 wrote:It was more as a observation for devs, than a functional working claim (FYI, html5 works in mostly cases just fine here).
My only mistake was that I have time to help, but I broke first Principle of good customer service: shut up and concentrate on your work.

This is my principle, from now for you...and if you don’t like it… well, I have others.

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-24, 23:12

To kizo07:
Dear kizo07,
So I am sorry i touched you. It was not my purpose. But your 'tough' words obviusly showing up that you have been touched by yourself. Well, sometimes i have a feeeling that people do not listen or do not read and just telling all round one and the same proclamation. I can assure you that i am not angry with anything and with anybody. I just prefer the addressed communication i.e. question<->answer. You did read wrong my posts (i can understand that because the intonation in written form does not exist). So we do need to fight here on personal basis - this board is not intented for this - and i am not a friend of flaming. That is my perception.
I think that everything else was written here and i just hope that somebody skilled did notice the bugs of PM v27 with HTML5 videoplay and will try to fix it in upcomming update.
Last edited by techX on 2017-02-24, 23:48, edited 2 times in total.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-24, 23:36

Yes my dear friend techX, I agree with you. Those who complain the most accomplish the least.
I f.e. don't complain at all. In mostly cases, HTML5 works just fine here...on the rest I use flash player If I need it.

You know...If it wasn't for my excellent customer service skills, I would have smashed half of the rude arrogant people that coming here. ;)

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-24, 23:57

To kizo07:
Everybody have some principles. Your principles are fine, for you. I have no problem with that. I also spent my sparetime time here. I could make hundreds another things. But i like Pale Moon project and i want to make it even better. I did not inginte this thread "because i want my website works"... - do not see this with such narrow perspective, please. I believe that the report about this issue could make Pale Moon better, for the others.

The PM v27 have some issues with HTML5 (all mentioned above), so again:
i hope that somebody skilled did notice the bugs of PM v27 with HTML5 videoplay and will try to fix it in upcomming update.

p.s.: many of those who think that might help many times suffer with the messiah complex and getting angry if their help does not work.. You know, all of us suffer with some way;)

p.s.2: so i am glad that i am not rude and i am not in your viewfinder of adepts for smashing;) It was not me to start with rude invectives.. obviously. But it could be that you are a fagellant;) Anyway, nobody is perfect.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-25, 00:11

Yeah, although HTML5 video play works just fine here on this end and I'm enormously satisfied with my Pale Moon, I agree with you again. Pale Moon is not perfect, yet.
So, you, me and others should do everything to help with that!

Once again...You know...That service is the noblest which is rendered for its own sake. ;)

techX

Unread post by techX » 2017-02-26, 01:29

Nobody and nothing is perfect incl. us and PM. Although PM in v27 suffer some bug with HTML5 Player (although there is a notification from one user that it works due to some non-transferable events), i consider PM for very nice and solid browser/project!

I hope that by time it become even more better and stable!;)

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-26, 02:18

Next time you should write 'That's Crazy!'...The perfect response when you haven't been heard. ;)

I need to agree with you once again. Yes, Pale Moon is not perfect, yet. Although html5 player works in mostly cases just fine here, is still little emotionally unstable.
But I have no reason to complain. I am lucky to have what I have.