unable to open external link

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
amicus

unable to open external link

Unread post by amicus » 2017-02-19, 17:44

I came across a live link which when I clicked on it, I got the following message "Failed to execute child process "/opt/palemoon/palemoon" (Permission denied)".

What does that mean?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: unable to open external link

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-02-19, 18:01

Sounds like something is not set up right in your Linux OS (which OS is it, by the way?). Or, are you running Pale Moon as root?

amicus

Unread post by amicus » 2017-02-19, 18:39

helloimustbegoing wrote:Sounds like something is not set up right in your Linux OS (which OS is it, by the way?). Or, are you running Pale Moon as root?
Some clarification is in order. First, I'm able to open all links on my browser website and every where else. This particular link was one included in a document I downloaded "buyersguidedownload.pdf" which is a pdf document from <http://www.westcoastshaving.com>.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-02-19, 19:13

The reason I asked those two question is because I did a search for "Failed to execute child process" and found this from askubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/376408/failed-to-execute-child-process-anyone-know-a-fix-for-this

My next question would be, are you running your pdf reader as root? And it still may help to know what OS and its version you're running.

EDIT: I just downloaded that pdf file and I can open links on it just fine. [I'm using Linux Mint 18.1, Mate, 64 bit and the latest Pale Moon 64 bit.]

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-02-19, 19:29

helloimustbegoing wrote:..... And it still may help to know what OS and its version you're running.
If the thread title should have said "pdf reader fails to open hyperlinks".
Yes you need to post your distro and version AND the pdf reader you are using!

amicus

Unread post by amicus » 2017-02-20, 19:20

This is getting a little out of my expertise, for which I apologise. My distributor is 32 bit Zorin OS 5 Ultimate package and am using PM version 25.7.3 and if I'm correct my root is ubuntu. The root thing I'm not really sure about.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-02-20, 20:57

First thing, you are running a really old version of Pale Moon. Current version is 27.1. "Root" does not mean what distro your distro is based on. Running as root in Linux is equivalent to running as Administrator in Windows. What pdf reader are you using? Lastly, I'm afraid I don't know much of anything about Zorin. I tried it once very briefly, didn't like it and I was done with it.