BBC Newsroom Live does not play in html5 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Terryphi

BBC Newsroom Live does not play in html5

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-17, 11:55

Although BBC videos generally play in html5 ( if it has been set at http://bbc.co.uk/html5) BBC Newsroom Live does not. Is there any prospect of a solution to this problem? Currently, the workaround is to use flash but this will not be an option for ever.

Thanks for the many improvements to video in PM 27.1. The work done is greatly appreciated.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: BBC Newsroom Live does not play in html5

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-17, 15:05

Is anything shown in the Error Console?

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-17, 16:58

Error console shows this:

Timestamp: 17/02/17 16:55:35
Error: syntax error
Source File: http://emp.bbc.co.uk/emp/SMPj/2.9.5/iframe.html
Line: 1, Column: 1
Source Code:
INVALID

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-02-18, 23:26

Do you have ffmpeg installed?

I tested playing some episodes with the Jessie OBS PM build, and they worked in HTML 5--they're supposed to be audio broadcasts with a still image in the background--is that correct?

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-19, 07:21

stevepusser:
ffmpeg installed - yes.
No, you are looking at the wrong thing. I am talking about video. Most work with html5 but not the live stream from BBC Newsroom Live. Details in original post.
Can users in the UK check this out please?

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-19, 07:53

BBC Newsroom Live stream fails to connect (endless loading). Right clicking on the player shows this:
unknown bitrate|dash ( akamai_dash_live)

The videos that do play show this after bitrate:
dash ( mf_limelight_uk_dash)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-19, 08:46

Does it by chance play if MSE is disabled?

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-19, 09:48

No, it does not play in html5 if MSE is disabled but reverts to flash and plays. A check at bbc.co.uk/html5 shows that with MSE disabled the site does not consider the browser compatible with the html5 player.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-19, 10:32

OK. I think I have the solution. Video works with Enable Media Extensions on but Enable MSE for MP4 video off.
It may be good to have a per site override for MSE stuff if it proves troublesome.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-19, 10:57

Terryphi wrote:OK. I think I have the solution. Video works with Enable Media Extensions on but Enable MSE for MP4 video off.
Looks as a kind of magic. I can't even imagine what does it mean to have MSE enabled, but without any codecs support :wtf:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-02-19, 12:25

Normally I don't post anymore, but I thought I might jump in here because this affected me too in both linux Mint 18.1 (and Windows 7).

My main and default linux distro is 64 bit linux Mint 18.1 (Serena) Xfce and I run 64 bit linux Pale Moon in it. I clicked on ( http://bbc.co.uk/html5 ) and it plays (renders) for me with video and audio sound. No long start, no lag, no codecs problems...........no problems at all.

Below is how I got the video in the link to play for "MY setup" in conjunction with Mint and Pale Moon.

I found in linux Mint (18.1) using linux Pale Moon, per Travis suggestion, I had to disable FIRST (uncheck) "Enable MSE for MP4 video" and then disable SECOND (unckeck) "Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE)". Both boxes have to be unchecked and this is how I unchecked both boxes. By doing this, the BBC koala video in the link plays. When I unchecked "Enable Media Source Extensions (MSE)" first, then "Enable MSE for MP4 video" was still checked, but grayed out. The video didn't play for me.

Mint by default has a flash plugin installed. I have it installed through my Update Manager and it is a Level 2 update for me. Some of you don't want to use Flash. I get that. But Flash isn't going to disappear anytime soon because you don't like it and don't want to use it. There are many sites that aren't going to abandon Flash and will continue to use it for quite some time.........and the BBC LIve Newsroom is one of them. Another example, Vimeo videos work this exact same way for me because Vimeo videos revert to Flash and Vimeo videos now play for me without any problems.

This is long and short of it and if you don't want to use Flash, you're going to run into problems.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-02-19, 13:17

Terryphi wrote:OK. I think I have the solution. Video works with Enable Media Extensions on but Enable MSE for MP4 video off.
Doing that for me running PM 27.1.0 in Arch Linux just stops the BBC iPlayer from working at all in html5, certainly doesn't get the BBC Newsroom live feed working in html5!
Night Wing wrote:There are many sites that aren't going to abandon Flash and will continue to use it for quite some time.........and the BBC LIve Newsroom is one of them.
There is still no html5 in BBC Weather, that still uses Flash also!

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-19, 14:17

Apparently BBC uses 2 CDNs (Akamai and Limelight) to deliver streams. With MSE for MP4 video ON it tries unsuccessfully to use Akamai. With MSE for MP4 video OFF it successfully streams using Limelight. It seems that PM has a problem with Akamai.

Users outside the UK need to be aware that content may be blocked by geo-blocking whatever browser you use.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-02-20, 11:15

Even with a brand new profile with nothing additional added in PM 27.1.0 on my Xubuntu 16.04.2, I cannot replicate your method of getting BBC Newsroom live feed to play on html5. I get the same results with this as my Arch Linux distro box!

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-20, 17:10

lightning slinger:
I should have added that it only works if flash is enabled and "opt in to html5" is selected at http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5.
However weird it sounds I believe it does then play using html5. This can be verified by right clicking at the bottom of the player. When using flash it is shown in the message but not with these settings. I also have Adblock Latitude disabled for the BBC site but this may be irrelevant.

Clearly PM is not handling this site correctly. Compare with Firefox where when flash is disabled and html5 option selected - it plays in html5 with no problem. I have not tried altering the user agent string but I doubt that would have any benefit.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-02-20, 17:44

Terryphi wrote:lightning slinger:
I should have added that it only works if flash is enabled and "opt in to html5" is selected at http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5.
OK, back on my Arch Linux box now and got that working with those setting, it does play the BBC Newsroom live feed and the BBC Weather Report in html5, the latter which I thought was still in Flash.
I use uBlockO here in advanced mode and have had akamai blocked and llnwd allowed, ever since the BBC started using them for CDN.
Default Flash setting in PM is Ask to Activate and BBC site setting set is now to allow Flash.

Thanks for that information! ;)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-20, 22:07

I'm looking into this.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-02-21, 07:54

trava90 wrote:I'm looking into this.
Works with my MX-16 also but those settings don,t make much sense to me! :crazy:

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-23, 02:57

Can you guys please try playing the live stream using today's unstable build and default MSE settings?

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-02-23, 06:59

trava: No change. Still needs Flash ON, MSE ON and MSE for MP4 video OFF.