HTML5 Video Tuner - disable HTML5 video and/or MSE per domain

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JustOff

HTML5 Video Tuner - disable HTML5 video and/or MSE per domain

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-01-22, 22:53

I'd like to share another one small helper add-on for Pale Moon - HTML5 Video Tuner. It designed to disable HTML5 Video completely or just MSE (Media Source Extensions) part of specs selectively per domain using toolbar button. Such disabling is performed only for those functions that are globally enabled in browser settings. Page reload is required to apply the changes. The easiest way to check how it works is to visit https://www.youtube.com/html5.

HTML5 Video Tuner was created for my own needs, but questions, suggestions and bug reports are always welcomed.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: HTML5 Video Tuner - disable HTML5 video and/or MSE per domain

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-01-23, 17:57

Just used it to force Flash Player on YouTube, it worked perfectly. Thank you for sharing this.

supermario_md

Unread post by supermario_md » 2017-01-24, 18:20

Thank you.
That i need.

But, why button is on status bar?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-01-24, 18:46

supermario_md wrote:But, why button is on status bar?
Feel free to customize toolbars and buttons as you wish 8-)

supermario_md

Unread post by supermario_md » 2017-01-24, 23:14

JustOff wrote:
supermario_md wrote:But, why button is on status bar?
Feel free to customize toolbars and buttons as you wish 8-)
Oh! Yes! I'm stupid. :mrgreen:
Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-25, 01:28

If you will, please get this one listed on the Pale Moon add-ons site (contact Andrew) -- it's going to be a very useful little tool for those annoying websites that refuse to be browser-agnostic.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2017-01-25, 02:16

Sounds great but I have no toolbar button when installing... So I can't enable or disable anything.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-01-25, 03:41

It bumped Crush Those Cookies button off status bar (CTC was not in Customize either). CTC had been at far right so it may have had the same effect if something else had been there but I did not test further. Disabling HTML5 extension and restarting browser brought CTC button back at normal position. Just reporting what I observed, no need for this right now. PM 27.0.3, Win 8.1

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-01-25, 05:30

Moonchild wrote:If you will, please get this one listed on the Pale Moon add-ons site
It's already there, thanks to Lootyhoof :thumbup:
Tar_Ni wrote:Sounds great but I have no toolbar button when installing... So I can't enable or disable anything.
Does your status bar enabled? Is there any errors in console?
GreenGeek wrote:It bumped Crush Those Cookies button off status bar (CTC was not in Customize either). CTC had been at far right so it may have had the same effect if something else had been there but I did not test further. Disabling HTML5 extension and restarting browser brought CTC button back at normal position. Just reporting what I observed, no need for this right now. PM 27.0.3, Win 8.1
Thanks for reporting this, I'll check compatibility with CTC.

UPD: Unfortunately I can't reproduce your situation on clean profile, all icons are always in place. Do you have any special setting for status bar? Is there any errors in console?

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2017-01-25, 15:09

Good replacement for YouTube Flash Video Player addon. Thank you for your efforts.
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

T2001

Unread post by T2001 » 2017-02-09, 22:31

Just installed it, works great!
One suggestion I would make though, is perhaps adding a tick-box option to be able to block all HTML5 by default, so that HTML5 will then only work on webpages/domains that the user allows manually? (Kinda like how you can set Flash to be disabled by default, and only let it run by default on individual websites you permit, which is what I currently do)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-09, 23:34

Ok, I'll think about such an option.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-02-10, 01:25

This won't be possible in an extension.. It would require such a facility to be built into the MSE code.. Sure.. You could try and juggle the pref on and off but that is global not per-domain... It won't work reliably.

Not everything is just a javascript object you can manipulate.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-10, 15:21

Matt A Tobin wrote:This won't be possible in an extension.. It would require such a facility to be built into the MSE code.. Sure.. You could try and juggle the pref on and off but that is global not per-domain... It won't work reliably.

Not everything is just a javascript object you can manipulate.
No need to jerk the global option, this can be done much easier.
T2001 wrote:One suggestion I would make though, is perhaps adding a tick-box option to be able to block all HTML5 by default, so that HTML5 will then only work on webpages/domains that the user allows manually?
Here it is: HTML5 Video Tuner 1.0.6.

T2001

Unread post by T2001 » 2017-02-10, 16:44

JustOff wrote:
T2001 wrote:One suggestion I would make though, is perhaps adding a tick-box option to be able to block all HTML5 by default, so that HTML5 will then only work on webpages/domains that the user allows manually?
Here it is: HTML5 Video Tuner 1.0.6.
Excellent! Many thanks for that. Now I can use this add-on to disable HTML5 by default, and simply enable it on the one or two websites I frequent that don't have a Flash player option. No more having to go into about:config in order to re-enable HTML5 when visiting those sites, and then disabling again when done :D

JustOff

Re: HTML5 Media Tuner - disable HTML5 video/audio and/or MSE per domain

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-15, 11:30

HTML5 Video Tuner gained the ability to control HTML5 Audio along with Video and renamed to HTML5 Media Tuner. The corresponding option is enabled by default.

LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2017-02-19, 05:49

Tomaso wrote:Just FYI; PM v27.1.0 contains a working UA override for SoundCloud, so it will now work with MSE both enabled and disabled:
general.useragent.override.soundcloud.com = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.0) Goanna/20160101 PaleMoon/27.1.0
@JustOff, Before I upgraded to PM 27.1.0 I used your addon successfully to "manage" the MSE issue with media from souncloud.com and https://www.brightcove.com/en/
I checked it and now with PM 27.1.0 I can play media with those 2 sites without your addon (...and without the need to open PM Options). So what do you recommend - should I disable the addon ?
Are there sites which have a problem also with 27.1.0 and which your addon can help with ?
Can you give some examples to such sites ?

Thanks in advance.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-19, 10:30

I always trying not to leave enabled (or even installed) a single add-on that I don't use actually. So if you have solved your problems by new Pale Moon release there is no reason to keep HTML5 Media Tuner running.

Btw, personally I still have problems with SoundCloud and MSE :shifty:

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-19, 11:43

Off-topic:
JustOff wrote: problems with SoundCloud
SoundCloud plays fine here. Both with/without HTML5 Media Tuner and MSE enabled/disabled :think:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-19, 11:51

Off-topic:
kizo07 wrote:SoundCloud plays fine here. Both with/without HTML5 Media Tuner and MSE enabled/disabled :think:
In my case, MSE enabled + Play/Pause + SoundCloud in background tab == distortions :problem: