Attn: Users of the Debian/Ubuntu repo

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Attn: Users of the Debian/Ubuntu repo

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-24, 07:21

It has come to our attention that builds installed from the 3rd party repo for Debian and Ubuntu have some very serious stability issues. Some versions of these builds are very crash prone, and they are gaining Pale Moon an unfavorable reputation in some Linux circles. As such, we unfortunately have had to revoke our official endorsement of these builds, and ask that the repo be removed.

While we look forward to hopefully being able to resolve this problem with the maintainer soon and restore the repo, we strongly recommend that you uninstall these versions and use the binaries available from linux.palemoon.org instead.

hobbledehoy899

Re: Attn: Users of the Debian/Ubuntu repo

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-01-24, 11:47

This is why I only download software from official methods, not "officially" recommended methods.

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2017-01-24, 12:23

The package removal procedure will be as follows:

Debian (root terminal):

Code: Select all

apt-get remove palemoon
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list
apt-get update
Ubuntu:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove palemoon
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list
sudo apt-get update
For recent Debian and Ubuntu, you can also use "apt" instead of "apt-get". (I dare consider the old version)

Instead install Pale Moon using pminstaller.sh is officially released by Pale Moon:
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

Pale Moon Nili

Unread post by Pale Moon Nili » 2017-01-24, 14:08

Thanks for the notice trava90, As an Debian user, I always download from preferred source Pale Moon mainline.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-26, 00:26

I've been suffering a pretty bad bout of the flu--anyway, I have disabled the publish flag on the palemoon package in the repo, and have added a unofficial branding of Palemoon called "newmoon". It can install alongside palemoon, but the news is that the Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 packages have been built against gcc-4.9 instead of the problematic gcc-5 and gcc-6 that those distreleases use by default. I had to cherry pick a little patch to the code from upstream PM to get a finished build with the combination of gcc-4.9 and binutils >= 2.26, but newmoon for 16.04 and 16.10 is ready for testing to see if that fixes these crashing issues. I'm already building palemoon packages with the same fixes--if newmoon works and Moonchild approves, I can flip on the publishing switch and 16.04/16.10 users should see an upgrade to PM in the repo.

New Moon is basically Pale Moon with a different name and icons, so users with PM already installed on other distreleases need not install it.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-26, 21:41

I've tested the newmoon packages contained in Steve's repo on Linux Mint 18.1 and the stability issues appear to be resolved. To those of you who were experiencing crashes using builds from this repo, can you also please install New Moon and see if the crashes still happen and report back? Thanks.

zorzi

Unread post by zorzi » 2017-01-26, 22:27

Hello,

I'm using the Pale Moon 27.0.3 version with Debian Stretch since a few weeks, and I do not notice crashing problems with some websites related in other topics.

Do these problems only concern Ubuntu repos or builds ?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-26, 23:16

The issues only affected builds for newer versions of Ubuntu-based distros.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-26, 23:24

zorzi wrote:Hello,

I'm using the Pale Moon 27.0.3 version with Debian Stretch since a few weeks, and I do not notice crashing problems with some websites related in other topics.

Do these problems only concern Ubuntu repos or builds ?
Yes, formerly the Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 builds were using the default gcc compiler version for each release, which were 5.3 and 6.1 respectively, and apparently PM is unstable with those. Since both those releases still have gcc-4.9, I added some code to the instructions for those two releases to use gcc-4.9 instead. Currently only the "newmoon" version is visible in the repo until I flip the switch to make the branded version visible again--we need tests for newmoon on 16.04/16.10 in order for that to happen. New Moon is in the same repository, so it should just show up if one already has the repo in their sources. Debian versions plus builds for Ubuntu earlier than 16.04 were unaffected.

The PM version from the PM installer uses a different static build strategy on Centos 7.

zorzi

Unread post by zorzi » 2017-01-27, 07:26

Thanks for answering. I will keep an eye on this topic.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-29, 19:31

Not much is going to happen if nobody cares enough to test the fixed 16.04 and 16.10 builds.

I have another repo with builds of 27.2.0~alpha1 for Debian 7, 8, and Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, and 16.10. This will be the only hope for Debian 7 users, since the version direct from PM won't run on that release due to a dependency on libc6 >= 2.17. https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... ge=newmoon

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-29, 21:34

stevepusser wrote:Not much is going to happen if nobody cares enough to test the fixed 16.04 and 16.10 builds.
While I've tested these new builds myself, we need YOU, members of the community to please download these builds and try them out. See if you can reproduce the crashes you've experienced.

Steve's repo meets one of the most requested things for Pale Moon on Linux. Now it's up to you guys if it is going to continue being an available option.

zorzi

Unread post by zorzi » 2017-01-30, 11:26

My Pale Moon 27.0.3 build from the Debian repo does not seem to have the mentioned problems. But I'm ready to test the Newmoon build if it can helps.

I just see in the package manager that it's a i386 Newmoon build. Can I safely install/use it on my 64bit system ?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-30, 18:47

The crashing only affected those that were using the Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 builds on those platforms, so any testing of the Debian builds would be pointless.

The Debian 8 64-bit build appears in the APT system on my own laptop. You can also directly download and install the single-deb package by going to the bottom of the newmoon download instruction page--the Ubuntu page, for example:

Grab binary packages directly(hide)

Packages for xUbuntu 16.10:

newmoon_27.0.3~repack.force.gcc4.9-2_amd64.deb
newmoon_27.0.3~repack.force.gcc4.9-2_i386.deb

Packages for xUbuntu 16.04:

newmoon_27.0.3~repack.force.gcc4.9-2_amd64.deb
newmoon_27.0.3~repack.force.gcc4.9-2_i386.deb

Packages for xUbuntu 15.10:

newmoon_27.0.3~repack-1_amd64.deb
newmoon_27.0.3~repack-1_i386.deb

Packages for xUbuntu 15.04:

Packages for xUbuntu 14.04:

Create your own download page | About openSUSE | Legal information | Feedback | Fork me on GitHub
and Debian:
Packages for Debian 8.0:

Packages for Debian 7.0:

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2017-01-31, 19:19

ok, basically a Linux illiterate, but where exactly do i find this newmoon and how exactly do i install it? i'm not seeing it on the ubuntu page. yes, i'm as blind as well as illiterate!

i was one of the people having crashing issues with PM 27.0.3 unless i installed the version from http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-31, 19:41

Thanks for volunteering to test it. If you are using the palemoon repository I set up, the newmoon package should appear in your system after the package database is refreshed, as with "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal, since it's in the same repository. Otherwise the deb packages can be directly downloaded from the bottom of the instruction page: https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... ge=newmoon

The repo add instructions are the same as for the original palemoon one, which makes sense since they are the same repo. No need to make duplicate entries if you already have it.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-31, 20:18

By the way, I currently have a clunky system with a separate set of source packages to generate 16.04 and 16.10 builds with gcc-4.9 instead of the problematic gcc-5 and 6 those releases default to, but I have a new addition to the rules file (thanks, dolphin_oracle!) which detects if it's being built on those two, Ubuntu 17.04, or Debian Stretch, and forces those to use gcc-4.9, so I can have one source file for all those releases, using anything from gcc-4.6 to 4.9, which is much more elegant. I'm testing it out in the separate newmoon-next repository, and it seems to have worked correctly, so I'm going to update the 27.0.3 newmoon packages next. The packages will be essentially the same after that, it's just that the build will be more elegant. The packages will be unavailable for the hour or so they take to build.

redblade7

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-01-31, 22:01

hobbledehoy899 wrote:This is why I only download software from official methods, not "officially" recommended methods.
It's not that hard to put Pale Moon someplace like $HOME/bin and change XFCE and KDE settings (with your file manager's "Always use this program" settings for local HTML files) to have a locally installed Pale Moon as your default browser, then add the icon to your desktop and/or start menu. Only a few programs (like HexChat) have a problem with this, but in the case of HexChat you can turn off the opening of a browser when you click a link. Using a repository has the benefit of easy upgrades and no need to follow RSS and compile from source, but most people don't compile Pale Moon from source, and when installed locally Pale Moon updates itself.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2017-01-31, 23:03

Good point, but this repo is currently the only way for Debian 7 users to use a current version, since the PM installer builds require libc6 >= 2.17. Native builds solve these kinds of issues for older distro versions.

Scratchy123

Unread post by Scratchy123 » 2017-02-01, 03:54

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, I had bad crashes with palemoon 27.0.3 repack 2 binaries from this repo on Lubuntu 16.04 x86
but with newmoon repack 4 installed, all works well so far.

Thanks to keep the effort alive, we Debian/Ubuntu users definitely need a deb repo to update easily our softwares.