Issues with video player timebar in current palemoon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
j0hny

Issues with video player timebar in current palemoon

Unread post by j0hny » 2017-01-05, 14:08

Hello,

I am having issues with HTML5 video playback in palemoon. The video itself plays fine, but the timebar at the bottom does not show correct time in a elapsed:total format, but rather elapsed:elapsed. Tracking in the time bar doesn't work either. I have attached a screenshot, since I don't know how to accurately describe this odd behavior.

The issue does not happen every time, but seemingly randomly (but always on the same videos). There probably is some condition for this to happen, but I was not able to find one. It happens regardless of format or codec used. Issue is present from the late 26.x release to present day (currently using 27.0.3). AFAIK this only happens in the linux version of the browser, but I was not able to test this thoroughly on Windows yet. I have MSE enabled, even WebM, but I have tried also without MSE enabled.

If the video is allowed to play to the end and finish, then the bar starts working as it is supposed to (total time starts showing actual total time instead of elapsed and navigating the video works).

AFAIK this issue is present in numerous html5 players, including YouTube (less commonly), JWPlayer and other one-site players, therefore I don't think it is related to implementation of particular player.

I do not use firefox, so I was not able to test this properly, but from some shallow test this does not happen in firefox. It also definitely doesn't happen in Tor Browser (Both current version). Other browsers on the same system work fine.

Palemoon installed and updated using official Linux installer, 64 bit version

Steps to reproduce: try to play any HTML5 video, for example on YouTube (doesn't happen for all videos, about 50% for me - less for youtube)
Expected result: navigating the time bar should work, time should be displayed as elapsed:total
Actual result: clicking anywhere the time bar jumps at the start of the video, time is displayed as elapsed:elapsed
Attachments
Screenshot_20170105_150810.png
Screenshot_20170105_150906.png

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Issues with video player timebar in current palemoon

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-01-05, 14:20

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-06, 02:36

Yup, it's a known problem with using GSteamer 1.10. This has been fixed for our next release (27.1.0).

j0hny

Unread post by j0hny » 2017-01-07, 07:17

Oh, thank you very much for quick responses and sorry for duplicating, I did look through the forum first, but must have overlooked this particular post. Great news it is already fixed, looking forward to 27.1

h3po4

Unread post by h3po4 » 2017-01-08, 14:39

I have this issue on each and every youtube video as well as all jwplayer sites. Still present in palemoon 27.0.3 with gstreamer 1.10.2

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-01-08, 22:37

As posted above, it's a known issue with GStreamer 1.10 and has been fixed for our next release.