Alternative add-ons after PM v27 removed Jetpack support?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Roranicus

Re: Alternative add-ons after PM v27 removed Jetpack support?

Unread post by Roranicus » 2016-11-29, 23:26

HaleSun wrote:
glocal wrote:I am slowly discovering add-ons that claim to work but apparently don't (eg Download Statusbar, DownloadHelper).
For Download Statusbar replacement, try Download Manager (S3):
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... statusbar/
It works great, but includes ads. Even if they can be disabled, someone left a review complaining that the addon connected to advertising networks. (I haven't verified this.) This alone is enough for me not to trust this addon, and to warn you guys to stay away. A shame, cause the functionality would be welcome. I won't support software with anti-features. The addon even tries to guilt the user into accepting ads. There's a blatant conflict of interest here, and while I lack the know-how to look through the code and tell exactly what the addon does, the dev's attitude doesn't inspire confidence.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-11-30, 01:13

Roranicus wrote:...but includes ads.

Instructions for fixing a different add-on with similar functionality, Download Status Bar can be found in this thread: Download Status Bar 15.0.0.1 can't intercept downloads. As best I can tell from looking at its AMO / support pages and reviews, it does not include ads.

In addition, a user who applied the fix for himself is making his copy of the fixed file available in that thread for those who aren't comfortable doing the modification themselves.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2016-11-30, 02:06, edited 2 times in total.

Roranicus

Unread post by Roranicus » 2016-11-30, 01:21

Looks promising, thanks!

If you look at my post, however, you'll note that I reference the addon that was linked (Download manager), and not Download Statusbar. Download Manager includes ads.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-11-30, 02:37

Roranicus wrote:...I reference the addon that was linked (Download manager), and not Download Statusbar. Download Manager includes ads.

Yes, I did understand that. Download Status Bar (not Download Statusbar, which is yet another add-on) is a different extension with similar functionality -- and as noted above, it does not include ads. The fix in question concerned its ability to intercept downloads. I've edited my earlier post to remove any ambiguity.

Roranicus

Unread post by Roranicus » 2016-11-30, 04:00

Ah, sorry. Stupid addons with similar names. :oops:

Your fix worked by the way, just had to change the two booleans, as the post said.

user-since-3

Unread post by user-since-3 » 2016-11-30, 04:47

I have been a user of PaleMoon for many years, almost from its start. But the alternative i've come up with for the lack of compatibility with Add-Ons i consider critical is to go back to Mozilla. It just saves lots of hassles of searching, scanning, hacking etc

Too bad , as i did like using PM all these years.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2016-11-30, 09:19

user-since-3 wrote:I have been a user of PaleMoon for many years, almost from its start. But the alternative i've come up with for the lack of compatibility with Add-Ons i consider critical is to go back to Mozilla. It just saves lots of hassles of searching, scanning, hacking etc

I haven't gone to that extreme, but up until PM 27 I used PM as my main browser and Firefox ESR for sites that didn't want to play with PM.
Trouble was, ESR took about 18 - 20s to load to home page but PM took about 8 - 10s, so I got fed up of ESR.
Now trying Cyberfox. It's up to v50.1, so keeping abreast of FF, and cuts all the crap. It's a lot faster than ESR and just about the equal of PM.
When I can spend the time, I'll do more work setting up PM, but the lack of Ghostery is a major point.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-30, 15:41

Giraffe wrote:
user-since-3 wrote:I have been a user of PaleMoon for many years, almost from its start. But the alternative i've come up with for the lack of compatibility with Add-Ons i consider critical is to go back to Mozilla. It just saves lots of hassles of searching, scanning, hacking etc

I haven't gone to that extreme, but up until PM 27 I used PM as my main browser and Firefox ESR for sites that didn't want to play with PM.
Trouble was, ESR took about 18 - 20s to load to home page but PM took about 8 - 10s, so I got fed up of ESR.
Now trying Cyberfox. It's up to v50.1, so keeping abreast of FF, and cuts all the crap. It's a lot faster than ESR and just about the equal of PM.
When I can spend the time, I'll do more work setting up PM, but the lack of Ghostery is a major point.
:tired: :tired: *Sigh* :tired: :tired:
Dudes - again, I must reiterate (as I and others have done in numerous posts throughout this forum) that, if you're leaving PaleMoon and going back to Firefox because of add-on incompatibility, you'll be back in a year. That's because Firefox and all its clones are ditching support for ALL add-ons by 2018. NONE of your add-ons are going to work anymore - Zero, Zilch, None, Nada, Ninguna!

If you really want to keep your precious add-ons, you're going to have to come to grips with 2 facts:
  • Moonchild, the head honcho around here, has very limited resources. There's maybe 5-10 guys total working on a project with at least a half million users and probably many more. Supporting this project includes things like website and server maintenance as well as coding, bug fixes and responding to concerns in the forums. Many of these people are volunteers and all of them work out of a love for this project. They cannot possibly modify PaleMoon to work with every add-on and keep PaleMoon up to snuff with a changing internet at the same time. You have to cut him a break and work with him (or for him 8-)).
  • PaleMoon is NOT Firefox and is following its own design path. PaleMoon's objective is to keep the good things about Firefox and toss the bad while improving speed, security and usability. The fact that ANY Mozilla add-on works with the browser off-the-shelf is a huge bonus. If you want your cherished add-ons to be compatible with PaleMoon then you must either contact the add-on developer and convince him or her to make the tiny changes (in most cases) necessary to support PaleMoon or you have to grab the code (assuming it's open source) and either maintain it yourself or convince others to do it for you. Moonchild & company reach out the add-on developers for support as often as they can. Many of them have declined to support PaleMoon. If enough of their users complain about the lack of support, these may change their minds.
Those are the hard, cold facts. I, myself have had great success in convincing at least one developer to support PaleMoon and, as a programmer, I hope to be able to support the project more in the future.

Personally, I have found Moonchild & company to be very responsive to my concerns and I get a lot of help on this forum. As a heavy add-on user myself, I too miss it when an add-on fails to work with PaleMoon. However, it has also forced me to find add-ons that are often superior to the ones I though I couldn't live without - that includes add-ons like Ghostery, which no longer works with PaleMoon, and NoScript which does.

If you will have some patience and work with the PaleMoon and add-on developers, you can have the browser you want - IMHO greatly superior to the Chrome-Clone browser that some big corporation forces down your throat!

Carebear

Unread post by Carebear » 2016-12-02, 17:24

Why is FireFox going to ditch all add-ons in 2018? :wtf:

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-12-02, 17:57

Carebear wrote:Why is FireFox going to ditch all add-ons in 2018? :wtf:
Relevant discussion is here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13823
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Nelraen
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nelraen » 2016-12-18, 03:51

Hi,

Does anyone know about an add-on on par with reddit engancement suite? I've just recently found it (4.5.2.1 was working and addons.mozilla would only list that one as compatible, did not have time to test the newer ones, and now it's "dead") to be a blessing, with night mode that works great on right about all subreddit pages, infinite scroll, enhanced edit box with live preview, and a few other smaller stuff.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-18, 10:39

Welcome to the forum, Nelraen.

Take here a look: https://github.com/JustOff/pm27-sdk-addons

Nelraen
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nelraen » 2016-12-18, 11:55

Wow, thanks. :)

Perplexed

Unread post by Perplexed » 2016-12-18, 15:42

Shadeclan wrote:As was stated in another post elsewhere on the forum, TabMixPlus has issues but the developer has shown willingness to add code for PaleMoon support in the past.

Since Mozilla will soon be doing away with all add-ons (including TMP) in its browser, the developer may decide to provide more support for TMP issues in PaleMoon. :coffee:

Moderate Add-On Junkies like myself would rejoice to see PaleMoon get more add-on support while Mozilla continues to shoot itself in the foot. :D

Good day to you, Shadeclan:

I am with you on what you said about PaleMoon hopefully getting more add-on support. I HATE it that the Jetpack supported add-ons are no longer available as they worked fine for me and at the age of almost 80 years old, I'm tired of trying to learn new things after having mastered the usage of add-ons that have worked for me so well in the past. Bah and Humbug to v27! I've been using PaleMoon almost exclusively for many years, but this new version has really frustrated me because, so far I'm just really not liking the new version as I can no longer use the add-ons that were useful in the previous versions. PLUS, (a new problem) I can no longer see images in the AOL news items section of AOL's web site, just the annoying videos which most times I don't even need or even WANT to see. I mute the sound on my computer to keep from even hearing the video as I prefer to read the article itself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-18, 16:10

Perplexed wrote: I HATE it that the Jetpack supported add-ons are no longer available as they worked fine for me and at the age of almost 80 years old, I'm tired of trying to learn new things after having mastered the usage of add-ons that have worked for me so well in the past. Bah and Humbug to v27!
Maybe you didn't understand so I'll repeat it again for your convenience:
  1. Our dropping of Jetpack add-ons was a necessity from a technical point of view.
  2. Firefox users will be in the same boat before long, and then some. Not only will they drop Jetpack, they will also drop bootstrapped and XUL extensions (which we will continue to support). Yes, the entire, several thousand large, extension ecosystem will be tossed out by Mozilla to be replaced with a vastly-inferior, restricted alterative that won't give extension developers any of the tools to truly extend browser functionality.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Perplexed

Unread post by Perplexed » 2016-12-19, 14:03

So sue me because I didn't understand. :oops: I always have, and always will always ask questions if I don't understand. Not everybody knows everything so those of us who don't know everything, the only alternative is to ask a question. So far, there is no law against it. But thanks anyway for begrudgingly trying to set grandma straight! :clap:

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-12-19, 15:15

Perplexed wrote:So sue me because I didn't understand. :oops: I always have, and always will always ask questions if I don't understand. Not everybody knows everything so those of us who don't know everything, the only alternative is to ask a question. So far, there is no law against it. But thanks anyway for begrudgingly trying to set grandma straight! :clap:
It's cool, dude and I realize how frustrated you must feel. I was fortunate to find replacements for my Jetpack add-ons. I hope you can, too.

Moonchild & Co are doing what they can to preserve add-on compatibility as much as possible but Jetpack was an issue. If some developer out there modifies Jetpack to work with Pale Moon, that's one thing but Moonchild can't modify PaleMoon to work with Jetpack anymore without compromising what he's trying to do.

Sorry. :cry:

uzver
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by uzver » 2016-12-27, 22:27

GreenGeek wrote:Disappearing icons is nothing new for those two. I gave up on using Clean Links because of it. The developer of uBlock did try to fix it.
But these two didn't disappearing in Pale Moon 26. They are always available... was.

Rekov

Unread post by Rekov » 2017-01-02, 17:30

HaleSun wrote:
Rekov wrote:but man I miss being able to change youtube volume by scrolling with the cursor over the video.
I highly recommend the userscript "YouTube+": https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9932-youtube
By far my favorite YT enhancer.

There is the option to change volume by scrollwheel (disabled by default).
Has this stopped working for you all of a sudden? I can't seem to access the settings page anymore, or any of the other Youtube+ features, but I don't know what changed.