Unread post by balloon » 2016-12-01, 10:23

The topic on XML error is done here in the first place:
viewtopic.php?t=13718

Also, announcement:
viewtopic.php?t=13804

JustOff

Re: Pale Moon 27 localization

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-02, 12:55

Thanks to all volunteers Pale Moon 27 localization is going full swing.

As of today we have four almost ready language packs: Czech, Russian, Spanish (Argentina) and Spanish (Mexico). Five more language packs been completely translated and await verification: French, German, Italian, Japanese and Polish.
palemoon_2016-12-02_14-53-16.png
Fresh beta builds are ready for download and test. Feedback and help are welcomed as always!

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-12-02, 13:34

Hi all,

I'll like to make a suggestion for all language packs.

Up to previous major branch, the name or nickname of a localizer was mentioned in the add-on's author field. For instance, in the Español (AR) Language Pack 26.1 its author was Por mozilla.org / KNTRO. Pale Moon 27's current language packs just says palemoon.org. I think we, the localizers, deserve to be properly credited for our hard work. So, I suggest to use this format: By [localizer's name or nickname] for palemoon.org.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-02, 13:53

That would be nice!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-02, 14:38

KNTRO wrote: I think we, the localizers, deserve to be properly credited for our hard work.
I think it's absolutely fair demand! I've an idea how to do this nicely and bearing in mind that there may be more than one translator per language pack. Let me few days to polish it properly.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-06, 20:38

Fresh beta versions of language packs are ready, now with 100% translated Chinese Simplified and new (91%) Hungarian.
palemoon_2016-12-06_22-28-35.png
Thanks for feedback and contributions, new participants are always welcomed!

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-12-07, 12:12

Hi localizing heroes,

I still need a clarification for voting/proofreading german translations. As it was advised some time ago we translators should take PM 26 de localization, FF38-De and actual FF-De versions as a base for suggestions. I did that and found it a good idea to keep the old (hot)keys at their 'regular' places (where german PM and FF users used to find them). Also Wolfbeast's suggestions mostly matched with these like FF38.
When I returned to voting/proofreading yesterday I randomly picked some files and saw some translations, mostly in .key or .accesskey strings were replaced or set back to the english key values again.

So I'm a bit confused about that and for continuing with voting/proofreading I need to know if the "old" german PM26, FF38-50 .key values should be default or the english ones, otherwise I see us ending in a voting and proofreading loop.

greets

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-07, 12:24

loxodont wrote:When I returned to voting/proofreading yesterday I randomly picked some files and saw some translations, mostly in .key or .accesskey strings were replaced or set back to the english key values again.
Since it's German LP specific issue, could you please PM me (here or on CrowdIn) with particular example?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-08, 20:39

Beta versions of language packs were updated with significant progress in verification: Hungarian - 100% and French - 99%
palemoon_2016-12-08_22-27-03.png
Thank all contributors, feedback and help are welcomed!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-09, 00:01

Awesome work! kudos to everyone involved :)

I'm not sure about the individual status of the language packs (or which version of Pale Moon they are compatible with) but looking at the numbers there I think it'd be a good thing to start thinking about releasing these officially from the website. Could you make 27.0.3 compatible packs for the languages that are (almost (99%-100%)) completely translated? I don't think there will be any more string changes before that point release is done, and the state the 27.0_relbranch is in now should be good to make the language packs to release in tandem with that point release.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-12-09, 09:23

For the german language pack I wouldn't recommend to release it yet. While proofreading of only a small part of it I already found some relevant typos and bad matches. Perhaps it's me thinking too much in icebergs tips, but if the LP is released now, I see many (more) unhappy germans coming up with complaints. Cut short: Though translation is at 100%, it's too early for official release IMO.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-09, 09:52

Also currently only 2 guys review it. More help would be nice

mrchispa

Unread post by mrchispa » 2016-12-09, 18:39

The keyboard shortcuts for Spanish Argentina are all messed up. Is that normal at this stage?

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-12-09, 18:58

Moonchild wrote:Could you make 27.0.3 compatible packs for the languages that are (almost (99%-100%)) completely translated?.
Is it too "risky" to ask this for language packs that are 80% completely translated? If yes, is it so for the ones with 90% instead?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-09, 19:45

Moonchild wrote:I'm not sure about the individual status of the language packs (or which version of Pale Moon they are compatible with) but looking at the numbers there I think it'd be a good thing to start thinking about releasing these officially from the website. Could you make 27.0.3 compatible packs for the languages that are (almost (99%-100%)) completely translated? I don't think there will be any more string changes before that point release is done, and the state the 27.0_relbranch is in now should be good to make the language packs to release in tandem with that point release.
As of yesterday, beta versions (RC11) of language packs are compatible with current 27.0_relbranch (including full 27.0.0-27.0.3 line). The difference with master branch (27.1.0b1) consists only in 5 strings, that were added today.

I'm almost sure that Czech, French, Russian, Spanish (Argentina) and Spanish (Mexico) are ready to be declared as release. I guess that Chinese Simplified, Hungarian, Italian and Japanese are also good enough to be presented to the public, but I can't be sure, because they have not passed any independent verification. Spanish (Spain) is nearing completion of translation and then will require verification. German is under verification process, but at early stage. Polish is unverified and there are known problems, so we need at least one more person involved, but unfortunately there are none. Other language packs are still far from release.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-09, 20:15

JustOff wrote:As of yesterday, beta versions (RC11) of language packs are compatible with current 27.0_relbranch (including full 27.0.0-27.0.3 line). The difference with master branch (27.1.0b1) consists only in 5 strings, that were added today.

I'm almost sure that Czech, French, Russian, Spanish (Argentina) and Spanish (Mexico) are ready to be declared as release. I guess that Chinese Simplified, Hungarian, Italian and Japanese are also good enough to be presented to the public, but I can't be sure, because they have not passed any independent verification. Spanish (Spain) is nearing completion of translation and then will require verification. German is under verification process, but at early stage.
Well then, it should be fine to release these to the public when 27.0.3 is released (hopefully before Christmas). It would cover all main languages spoken globally which is what I was hoping for in the short term, so it's fantastic that we all managed!
So, we should have our primary latin group (DE, FR, ES) which along with EN covers the 4 basics. Then we have the central and eastern pillars (RU, JA, ZH).
CS, HU, IT are bonus goodies to have this early on :)

So I think finalizing and releasing these 9 languages is important to do ASAP. The only major language missing from the priority group (especially for South America) is PT.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-12-09, 20:28

mrchispa wrote:The keyboard shortcuts for Spanish Argentina are all messed up. Is that normal at this stage?
Thanks for reporting, could you please provide the details (examples)?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-09, 20:58

The Vote mode is strange. I can't only vote for strings which another person make.
Anyway i would say the german translation is fine for release, even if are only 6% approved.

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2016-12-11, 12:14

Shortcuts in the german version are not adapted, instead english shortcuts are used. So most of them are not integrated but set in brackets after the translated item, or they are other ones than usual:

Main menu in PM 26: »Datei - Bearbeiten - Ansicht - Chronik - Lesezeichen - Extras - Hilfe«

in PM27 with RC11: »Datei (F) - Bearbeiten - Ansicht (V) - Chronik (S) - Lesezeichen (B) - Extras - Hilfe«

I don’t think that german language file would be fine for release. (Had looked how to contribute, but sorry, I do not have any time for that at the moment. It’s December...)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-12-11, 12:26

Yeah the shortcuts have problems but this isn't a real problem for normal usage.
Anyway we need more help to correct all these strings.