Changing Menu Spacing

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

geraldh
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Changing Menu Spacing

Unread post by geraldh » 2024-03-13, 09:56

I'm dabbling with Epyrus at the moment and it looks like a great replacement for my Interlink :) . The menu items are quite widely spaced on Epyrus 2.1.2 on my system (Linux Mint XFCE 20.1). Is there a way of reducing this a little? Thank you.

EpyrusMenu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

geraldh
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Changing Menu Spacing

Unread post by geraldh » 2024-03-14, 11:55

I've done a bit more digging and it is the classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 theme which seems to generate the greater vertical spacing of the menu items. I prefer the classic look, so I'll see if I can tweak the classictb2 theme to reduce the spacing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-14, 11:58

it might be the theme combined with GTK3.
The funny thing is I use classictb2 myself exactly for the reason of reducing item spacing because the default theme is too widely spaced for my taste. Curious that it causes the opposite on LM.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-03-14, 12:29

geraldh wrote:
2024-03-14, 11:55
I've done a bit more digging and it is the classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 theme which seems to generate the greater vertical spacing of the menu items. I prefer the classic look, so I'll see if I can tweak the classictb2 theme to reduce the spacing.
I don't officially support the ClassicTB2 theme, and I believe the current maintainer of the theme doesn't run Linux, so it could probably use a few tweaks on that platform in particular. Theming on Epyrus probably works a little differently from on Interlink anyway, especially on Linux, but really on all platforms because Interlink's UI was based on SeaMonkey's mail component adapted to the Thunderbird backend, while Epyrus is basically running a fork of Thunderbird's original UI adapted to look a bit more like the Pale Moon UI, and is for better or worse unique among UXP-based mail clients to the point that it would affect how themes work.

Note, I make no guarantees that any Epyrus themes besides the default will work as intended, because as we say, it's the job of themes/extensions to adapt to the application. One thing you can try that sometimes helps, though, is switching your GTK theme to Adwaita (or at least something with more similar metrics like Menta) before applying a custom theme to Epyrus. Using custom GTK themes paired with custom Epyrus themes sometimes makes things look wonky.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

geraldh
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Changing Menu Spacing - classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 theme

Unread post by geraldh » 2024-04-05, 18:16

After having a play with the classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 theme I think I may have eventually found something that seems to work. The problem seems to reside in the menu.css file. I tried changing variables in this file and was making a bit of progress, but then I decided to look at my favourite Palemoon theme Moonfox3. I discovered that this theme seems to have a kind of Linux override[?] in /chrome/os/linux/global/ with a Linux specific menu.css file. I replaced the classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 menu.css file with the Moonfox3 menu.css file and the menu spacing is now much better. I imagine that this hack may not be entirely risk free[?], but so far it seems to work OK :) .

EpyrusMenu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Changing Menu Spacing - classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 theme

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-04-05, 20:07

geraldh wrote:
2024-04-05, 18:16
After having a play with the classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 theme I think I may have eventually found something that seems to work. The problem seems to reside in the menu.css file. I tried changing variables in this file and was making a bit of progress, but then I decided to look at my favourite Palemoon theme Moonfox3. I discovered that this theme seems to have a kind of Linux override[?] in /chrome/os/linux/global/ with a Linux specific menu.css file. I replaced the classictb2-epyrus-2.1.0 menu.css file with the Moonfox3 menu.css file and the menu spacing is now much better. I imagine that this hack may not be entirely risk free[?], but so far it seems to work OK :) .
That's great news! :thumbup:

Maybe something like that should be added into the theme?

Yeah, I mean of course it has risks, but it's always good to play around with themes yourself and fix your own problems. Hacks like that are how people learn to work on themes and add-ons in the first place.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind