"Play sound for new mail" volume setting...

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

f-117
Moonbather
Moonbather

"Play sound for new mail" volume setting...

Unread post by f-117 » 2024-01-14, 17:00

Is there a way to adjust the volume for the "Play sound for new mail"? The volume for the "New mail" chime is too loud.

In the about:config there are two volume settings:

media.default_volume
media.volume_scale

Both have a ".8" value setting.

Would adjusting/lowering these values reduce the "New mail" sound so it's not so loud? I'm not sure what they actually do.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: "Play sound for new mail" volume setting...

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2024-01-14, 17:51

Depending on your OS, some "Sound Mixer" control panel applets keep a per-app volume level that persists over reboots.
Also it's possible to set a custom mail-alert playback file. Mine uses a text-to-speech synthesized voice speaking the name of the app, so I know which app fired off the mail-alert sound. Without that, all mail apps would make the same "ding".

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-14, 19:03

Well, Epyrus chooses the sound to play for new mail based on the system default. So if the sound is too loud, that means your system's default chimes are set to play too loud, and this probably affects other applications besides Epyrus. It's just that it probably sounds more annoying with Epyrus because whatever sound was picked for the default new mail was probably particularly grating.

Though, if Epyrus plays the same sounds significantly louder than other applications on your OS do by default, that might qualify as a bug.

So you would have to adjust the sound of sound effects in the whole OS, unfortunately. I don't believe Epyrus has a way to control the sound volume itself, because it goes through libraries that leave it up to the system defaults.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

f-117
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by f-117 » 2024-01-14, 19:29

Thanks guys! I was able to adjust it in System Volume.

Scott

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-14, 23:16

athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-14, 19:03
Though, if Epyrus plays the same sounds significantly louder than other applications on your OS do by default, that might qualify as a bug.
if they are system sounds then it would not be part of epyrus :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite