Linux users: What version of glibc and libstdc++ is everyone on?

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Linux users: What version of glibc and libstdc++ is everyone on?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-23, 21:40

I've been using GCC 7 on Oracle Linux 7 for Epyrus builds on Linux since I started them (mostly due to inertia and an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality with regards to an OS I don't run as a daily driver), and I'm starting to think it's time for an upgrade to Oracle Linux 8. I've neglected to update the GCC version because I've been figuring I will do that when I move to a newer base OS, but now things are really getting to the point where I ought to upgrade GCC on the current OL7 box (which I am not sure is a good idea), or carry out that plan.

The problem is that if I do this, the minimum version of glibc required to run Epyrus will go from 2.17, to 2.28. I checked to see how that affects Debian builds, and that would unfortunately mean anyone on Debian 8 or 9 (or forks of them) would be unable to run Epyrus. Debian 10 would become the new minimum.

I guess what I'm wondering is, would it be fine to move to a newer environment, or are there still a lot of people running glibc 2.17? If there are in fact a lot of people running older glibc, I can try to find some kind of workaround to keep this going a bit longer.

If this is done, it probably won't be the very next release, but the one after that. There will still be one more release on the current setup regardless, but I'm just trying to gather input right now to make sure I don't break anyone's workflow.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Linux users: What version of glibc and libstdc++ is everyone on?

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-12-23, 23:23

To check glibc version, I use the command

Code: Select all

ldd --version
Mine is version 2.35

To check libstdc++ version, I use:

apt search libstdcc++ | grep installed
and then look at the results - I have libstdc++6. To get the exact version number, I use

apt policy libstdc++6
Mine is version 12.3.0

As far as whether or not you should move up to glibc 2.28 - I don't use old versions of any OS. With GNU/Linux, there's plenty of lightweight current distros available that work great on ancient hardware. So it's fine by me if you move forward.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-12-24, 08:02

Oracle Linux is based on RHEl 7 form 2014. Oracle Linux and RHEL version 9 already exist. For most users, there is no reason not to upgrade.
The same for Debian.
8 and 9 are already out of support.
12 is released, are there still Epyrus users on 10?
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-24, 09:15

Pentium4User wrote:
2023-12-24, 08:02
Oracle Linux is based on RHEl 7 form 2014. Oracle Linux and RHEL version 9 already exist. For most users, there is no reason not to upgrade.
The same for Debian.
8 and 9 are already out of support.
12 is release, are there still Epyrus users on 10?
Correct, Oracle Linux 8 is basically a rebuilt RHEL 8 with different branding.

The main reason I'm only upgrading to OL8 and not ready to move to OL9, is because OL9 ships with GCC 11 out of the box, and 11 is a lot newer than anything we've extensively tested UXP with so far. The current Pale Moon is only tested with GCC 9 on Linux. I'm pretty confident I can make GCC 10 work with Epyrus on Linux (since it works just fine on Solaris for Pale Moon builds), but I do have the option of falling back to 9 if anything goes wrong.

Probably not many of them are using Debian 8 or 9 directly, though there is an ELTS sort of thing for them that goes to 2027 for Debian 9. The main concern is that they might be using some obscure fork of Debian that is slower to update. Putting RHEL aside for a moment, most popular Linux distros are forks of Debian or Arch... some of which update a little faster, others of which update a little slower. Arch is bleeding edge, and RHEL forks are always stability-focused clones, so that mostly leaves Debian forks as the ones that could be doing enough independent stuff that it creates uncertainty. There's also the semi-independent ones, like Mageia, Gentoo, Slackware, openSUSE, and Void, but it would be impossible to account for everything at that point.

I figure it wouldn't hurt to get a rough idea of the minimum glibc version we need to support, since I believe part of why we were on CentOS 7 so long in the first place was simply that a lot of people hadn't yet updated to glibc 2.20, and I'm wondering if that's still the case or not.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-24, 09:38

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-24, 09:15
The main reason I'm only upgrading to OL8 and not ready to move to OL9, is because OL9 ships with GCC 11 out of the box, and 11 is a lot newer than anything we've extensively tested UXP with so far.
I've also run into issues getting a build environment set up in OL9 because they removed a whole bunch of packages we need.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-12-24, 14:45

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-24, 09:15
The main reason I'm only upgrading to OL8 and not ready to move to OL9, is because OL9 ships with GCC 11 out of the box, and 11 is a lot newer than anything we've extensively tested UXP with so far. The current Pale Moon is only tested with GCC 9 on Linux. I'm pretty confident I can make GCC 10 work with Epyrus on Linux (since it works just fine on Solaris for Pale Moon builds), but I do have the option of falling back to 9 if anything goes wrong.
Internally I have been running Linux builds of Basilisk built with GCC 11 and march=native instead of the standard release builds for over a year. I can't think of a single time I've experienced a crash that wouldn't have also occurred with the standard GCC 9 release build.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2023-12-24, 15:16

I build (-march=znver3) Pale Moon (AUR) on Arch Linux every time there's a new release...

pw -i glibc gcc

core/glibc 2.38-7 [installed]
    GNU C Library
core/lib32-glibc 2.38-7 [installed]
    GNU C Library (32-bit)
extra/aarch64-linux-gnu-glibc 2.38-1 [installed]
    GNU C Library ARM64 target
core/gcc 13.2.1-3 [installed]
    The GNU Compiler Collection - C and C++ frontends
core/gcc-libs 13.2.1-3 [installed]
    Runtime libraries shipped by GCC
core/lib32-gcc-libs 13.2.1-3 [installed]
    32-bit runtime libraries shipped by GCC
extra/aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc 13.2.0-1 [installed]
    The GNU Compiler Collection - cross compiler for ARM64 target
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-12-24, 17:20

Using andyprough's commands.

ldd (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.35-0ubuntu3.5) 2.35

libstdc++6: Installed: 12.3.0-1ubuntu1~22.04

Merry Christmas!

jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2024-01-05, 20:34

For Linux machines I am on various Debian versions, with newer configs using Debian 12 with glibc 2.36, libstdc++ 12.2.0-14 and gcc 12 . But I am also looking at 64 bit ARM devices with this or older versions.

For Windows, I haven't decided exactly which current version to use .