Bug in handling Junk mail?

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Bug in handling Junk mail?

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-12-21, 16:00

I am experiencing behavior that feels like a bug.

I transferred messages out of the IMAP account Junk folder by selecting the messages and using "Not Junk."
The messages appear in the In box, but with the Junk Status flame icon active.
I then selected these messages again, and clicked "Not Junk" and the flame icon greys out.
When I click "Get Messages" the flame Junk Status icon relights on each of these messages.

Therefore there does not seem to be a way to actually and fully mark these messages as Not Junk, at least as long as they are in the In box. Is this indeed a bug or is this expected behavior that I don't understand?

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Bug in handling Junk mail?

Unread post by Navigator » 2024-01-15, 16:48

Am I the only one experiencing this? The problem persists.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-15, 18:19

Hmm... well, what I noticed is that for me, the Junk mail mark seems to go away when I read the message. Is this bug only with unread messages?
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-15, 19:32

I'm unable to reproduce.

I've tried both in pop3 and IMAP. Unread message Context menu -> Mark -> As Not Junk moves the message to inbox and clears the junk flag (flame), but keeps the unread state (as expected). Read messages behave the same.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2024-01-15, 21:36

athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-15, 18:19
Hmm... well, what I noticed is that for me, the Junk mail mark seems to go away when I read the message. Is this bug only with unread messages?
All the messages with the persistent junk flag are already Read.
Moonchild wrote:
2024-01-15, 19:32
I've tried both in pop3 and IMAP. Unread message Context menu -> Mark -> As Not Junk moves the message to inbox and clears the junk flag (flame),
This happens for me too, but the junk flag comes back after I restart Epyrus. The message remains in the Inbox.

I can successfully clear the flag on messages in local folders, so I think maybe the server does not respect clearing this flag on IMAP messages. It's not a large problem in any case as it doesn't seem to affect anything further.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2024-01-15, 22:05

Navigator wrote:
2024-01-15, 21:36
athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-15, 18:19
for me, the Junk mail mark seems to go away when I read the message.
Moonchild wrote:
2024-01-15, 19:32
Unread message -> Context menu -> Mark -> As Not Junk ... clears the junk flag
me too, but the junk flag comes back after I restart Epyrus. Maybe the server does not respect clearing this flag on IMAP messages.
Wondering if this relates to the minor issue where some messages show a false Attachment flag/icon. When the message is selected, the flag disappears. This tells me there's a disconnect between the flag and the message body, which is the final true arbiter of whether the message has (or not) any attachments. When the message body has been downloaded (by selecting/previewing the message), Epyrus can examine the body, set the flag directly, and show or hide the icon. But when only the message header has been downloaded (by selecting the folder), Epyrus must rely on a signal sent by the server indicating [this message has (or not) attachments]. Is that signal in the actual headers? Or is it in some other meta-data? I dunno. But if the message-header has a false attachment indicator, or the server otherwise falsely indicates an attachment, then Epyrus can't know+show the truth until it sees the message body.

How this relates is: meta-data flags like has-attachments or junk-status can be poorly defined in the IMAP spec, or differently-implemented in the server or client or both, leading to mixed signals, thus confusion in the UI.