Suggestion: Work Offline from password dialog

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Suggestion: Work Offline from password dialog

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-12-18, 17:41

I have a minor feature suggestion. It would be useful to have a "Work Offline" button on the password dialog.

Sometimes when I start Epyrus I just want to check the content of an existing message without putting in my password. If I click Cancel I get hit with another password dialog for each account, which I must also dismiss with more Cancel clicks. I would like to be able to dismiss all of them with a single click, which "Work Offline" logically should do.

I know there is an option for asking whether to start On-line or Off-line but this requires dismissing that dialog the 90% of the time I am starting Epyrus normally and just want to get on with entering my password.

To put this suggestion another way, I think the password dialog should have three options: enter password, cancel, cancel for all accounts (work offline).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Suggestion: Work Offline from password dialog

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-18, 20:22

Isn't it possible to just start the client with a command-line parameter to start offline? if so you could just make a shortcut to that :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-18, 21:55

Doesn't sound like it would be difficult to implement... I've encountered that problem myself a couple of times with Epyrus installs that have multiple non-working accounts that I'm trying to debug, but just worked around it by clicking cancel as you've said. Sometimes I want to leave the accounts configured but find it annoying that I get prompted for all their passwords on every start.

I just wonder if "Work Offline" is the best name for the feature when presented this way. It makes sense when presented as a checkbox, but less so in a password dialog, because it doesn't really trigger the "Work Offline" feature, but rather just cancels all the remaining password prompts for unsaved passwords and accounts that have failed to connect. I'm leaning towards "Cancel All" if I can figure out how to do this, because there's always the chance that the user could just click "Cancel All" after entering one or more passwords, but then not wanting to deal with the rest of their e-mail accounts.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-12-19, 02:11

Moonchild wrote:
2023-12-18, 20:22
Isn't it possible to just start the client with a command-line parameter to start offline? if so you could just make a shortcut to that :)
I was not aware of this. That should work fine with only a little care. Where do I find command line parameters documented?
athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-18, 21:55
I just wonder if "Work Offline" is the best name for the feature when presented this way. It makes sense when presented as a checkbox, but less so in a password dialog, because it doesn't really trigger the "Work Offline" feature, but rather just cancels all the remaining password prompts for unsaved passwords and accounts that have failed to connect.
I was proposing triggering the actual Work Offline mode with the button, but if Epyrus connects to any non-password-protected accounts while waiting on the dialog I guess that is confusing. Cancel All makes more sense in that case. This is a low priority suggestion, and perhaps not even needed assuming the command line parameter is available as described. Nevertheless since it's something you've experienced too there are probably others who would also benefit from the inclusion.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-19, 12:16

I just tested it. it works:

Code: Select all

epyrus --offline
will start the client in off-line mode.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-12-19, 18:02

Moonchild wrote:
2023-12-19, 12:16
I just tested it. it works:

epyrus --offline
will start the client in off-line mode.
This does not seem to work on Linux Mint. I still get the password pop-up on launch with: /opt/Epyrus/epyrus --offline

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-19, 19:50

FTR I tested this on Windows. No master password popup and it started offline. Clicking the offline icon in the status bar switching it back to online mode and then subsequently clicking to "get mail" popped up the password dialog, not before.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-19, 21:49

Yeah, I just tested this on Linux, and apparently the feature is busted. The --offline switch only works on Windows. Also, the Linux version of Epyrus feels a lot worse than the Windows version overall... very slow.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-12-19, 22:33

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-19, 21:49
The --offline switch only works on Windows.
What about -offline (single minus)?

https://udn.realityripple.com/docs/Mozi ... ne_Options

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-12-19, 22:53

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-12-19, 22:33
What about -offline (single minus)?
Still prompts for password.

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-12-19, 22:56

athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-19, 21:49
Also, the Linux version of Epyrus feels a lot worse than the Windows version overall... very slow.
I cannot say that I've noticed it being slow. Which actions in particular seem slow? There are a few glitches with messages appearing and disappearing in the inbox, but so far it always clears up after a Get Messages.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-19, 23:40

The weird thing is, other command line options like -p work on Linux. It seems to be just this one that's broken.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-23, 09:16

Update, I found something that seems to make a difference...

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1179779#c7

For some reason, on Linux (and probably Unix in general), the --offline flag requires a particular pref to be set.

network.manage-offline-status has to be set to false, but defaults to true.

If I set that pref to false, then using the command line flag works on Linux. But on Windows, it seems to work regardless? So weird...

I'm thinking as a workaround, I might just want to do something like this in all-thunderbird.js...

#ifdef XP_UNIX
// The offline status cannot be controlled via the command line in Unix,
// unless this pref is false. Works without it in Windows though, no
// no need to change existing behavior there.
pref("network.manage-offline-status", false);
#endif
Though it might be simpler to just set this false in general, assuming there are no negative side-effects from doing so. I was checking and found this in Pale Moon's preferences...

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... on.js#L669

So it's possible it would be safe to just set this false in Epyrus too.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-23, 10:06

IIRC this pref is a concession to user control to automatically go back to online mode after a new connection was established, and is likely a holdover from dial-up use (going on-line when a dial-up connection is established). It does not seem to play nice with the way modern Linux handles its networking and thinks all connections there are "on-demand"? I know in Windows they are/were treated distinctly differently.
It's probably safe to just set it to false, regardless.