An unexpected and sudden problem with the operation of the Epyrus translation into Polish.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

An unexpected and sudden problem with the operation of the Epyrus translation into Polish.

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-25, 11:02

Hello,
For several days for an unknown reason, there is a problem with the operation of the Epyrus translation into Polish. Translated fragments in Polish were already displayed in Epyrus, but now everything is in English.
I suspect I've messed something up, although I don't really see what it could be. It may be trivial.
I am sending you a file with a very preliminary version if you would like to take a look.
Ps.I wrote you a message a few days ago but I'm not sure if it got through, that's why I'm posting it.
Regards,
Piotr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: An unexpected and sudden problem with the operation of the Epyrus translation into Polish.

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-25, 14:13

Well, there hasn't been an update to Epyrus itself yet, so nothing should have changed on that front.

I will take a look and see if I can figure it out. I thought I replied to your PM already, but I guess I didn't. My Dad being here this week is really throwing me off.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: An unexpected and sudden problem with the operation of the Epyrus translation into Polish.

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-25, 14:27

I know there was no update and that's why I was surprised. The reason could be if I removed some tag? e.g. "?
I suspect that maybe I did it by accident and didn't see it.
Thank you very much.
Don't worry, have a nice weekend.
I hope nothing serious is going on with your Dad.
Neither with you.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-27, 09:14

Hello,
I hope I'm not annoying you.
Do we know anything yet? I would check it myself, but it doesn't necessarily happen over time.
Have a nice day.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-11-27, 09:47

I think the locale directories are incorrect? Instead of en-EN, shouldn't it be pl-PL or just pl, mirroring how Pale Moon handles it?

See attached XPI (which uses pl-PL):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-27, 10:14

FranklinDM wrote:
2023-11-27, 09:47
I think the locale directories are incorrect? Instead of en-EN, shouldn't it be pl-PL or just pl, mirroring how Pale Moon handles it?

See attached XPI (which uses pl-PL):
Thank you very much.
I've already tried this, with no results.
But I will check the file from you to be sure.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-27, 12:40

Well, there's nothing obvious I can glean from just looking at the non-working langpack... it's like, you said this worked before, but the version you're offering me is from after it broke, and I don't know when it broke or what you were doing when things went wrong.

I'm going to have to dig down into the files and see if I can find a problem with their structure, and that kind of detail-oriented work really isn't in my skillset at all. At this point, it might actually be easier for me to see if I can assemble a mostly-completely Polish langpack from the available sources and then just have you confirm that all the strings are correct. That will take time, but probably not much more time than finding out why the langpack doesn't work... especially for someone like me who isn't the best at attention to detail.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-27, 12:51

athenian200 wrote:
2023-11-27, 12:40

I'm going to have to dig down into the files and see if I can find a problem with their structure, and that kind of detail-oriented work really isn't in my skillset at all.
I'll check it myself, don't worry, I'm sorry.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-27, 12:59

Piotr Kostrzewski wrote:
2023-11-27, 12:51
I'll check it myself, don't worry, I'm sorry.
Don't feel bad about asking, though. :)

Yeah. I mean, honestly, I don't mind helping, it's just that I honestly don't know how to help here. My skillset is looking at git repositories that track changes and figuring out when something broke, with a project that previously was in a known-working state. But with this, I've never seen the working state, and don't know how to roll back to it, so I would just have to use my brain and spend a lot of time experimenting and thinking about everything that might have gone wrong... you know what I mean?

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-27, 13:18

athenian200 wrote:
2023-11-27, 12:59

Don't feel bad about asking, though. :)

Yeah. I mean, honestly, I don't mind helping, it's just that I honestly don't know how to help here. My skillset is looking at git repositories that track changes and figuring out when something broke, with a project that previously was in a known-working state. But with this, I've never seen the working state, and don't know how to roll back to it, so I would just have to use my brain and spend a lot of time experimenting and thinking about everything that might have gone wrong... you know what I mean?
Thank you very much :)
I know what you mean.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-11-27, 13:30

What's the value of your general.useragent.locale pref? Setting it to pl-PL and with my modified copy of the XPI, it does seem to work, assuming the menu bar is not yet fully translated.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-27, 13:43

I corrected it and it works now :) I forgot to change the path in the pl-Pl.manifest file :)

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-27, 13:44

FranklinDM wrote:
2023-11-27, 13:30
What's the value of your general.useragent.locale pref? Setting it to pl-PL and with my modified copy of the XPI, it does seem to work, assuming the menu bar is not yet fully translated.
It's not fully translated yet, but I've already corrected the mistake. Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-27, 13:48

Actually, I got FranklinDM's version somewhat working after changing my locale to Polish... I have no idea how to evaluate the translations, obviously (since I don't know anything about Eastern European languages), but they look Polish to me. I am surprised it's written with the Latin alphabet, though... I thought Polish had a different alphabet, like Cyrillic or something? I think I saw the Polish word for "Options."
Polish.png
So it looks like it is at least partially working, I just didn't notice before because I was looking at the English strings and not noticing some were in Polish (that shows you my attention to detail, and it probably doesn't help that wasn't expecting Polish words to be written in the Latin alphabet like English). But yeah, when I was working with langpacks before, if they broke and you got XML parsing errors... they just broke completely, they wouldn't revert back to English.

EDIT: Looks like you guys made progress right before I posted, good job!

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-11-27, 14:05

This is a very preliminary version, but it works without any problems :) The Cyrillic alphabet is used in Russia.