Unable to setup GMail account - Error 401: disabled_client Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Unable to setup GMail account - Error 401: disabled_client

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-12-03, 09:38

I think somewhere above was mentioned that enabling 2FA and the "app password" method was not available any more, or it is missing some features? Is this accurate?

At this point, it seems that simply enabling 2FA on the Google account and using "Normal password" authentication on Epyrus (with a generated "app password") would work much more reliably.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-03, 11:03

back2themoon wrote:
2023-12-03, 09:38
At this point, it seems that simply enabling 2FA on the Google account and using "Normal password" authentication on Epyrus (with a generated "app password") would work much more reliably.
The issue is that Google seems to be phasing that out slowly, but randomly... some accounts can still use the app password and some can't. That's my understanding of the situation? Either way, the reason I want to try and get this working better (to the extent I can) is precisely because I am not certain the app password method will always work, I think eventually it will be OAuth2 or nothing.

Also, I kind of need OAuth2 for a couple of my personal e-mail addresses that are not Google, and so far my only solution has been "use webmail," and I can't use those accounts with Epyrus period. They require both 2FA and OAuth2. The Google version of OAuth2 is all Epyrus supports (badly), other OAuth2 providers don't work at all, pretty much. So I definitely have a vested interest in getting this to work at some point, because I am not really in a position where I can just transition to self-hosted e-mail or some random FOSS thing that's more compatible with Epyrus.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2023-12-03, 16:04

Bilbo47 wrote:
2023-11-27, 18:42
I screwed up because the browser was logged in to a different, similarly named Ggl account. Dropped and re-added 2-Step Verification using the same phone number ... now the Ggl account that had App Passwords yesterday no longer has them
Was also able to follow instructions and create new app passwords, so the non-Ep client works using them, and the Ep test profile can use them as well. As you might expect, the documentation by Ggl on this is difficult to follow and perform. Agree they intend to disallow normal IMAP access eventually.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-12-06, 11:01

I'll just report that I successfully enabled "App passwords" for all my Google accounts. Epyrus works much better for me this way (Normal password instead of OAuth2).

Enabling 2FA is a required step of course. If you still can't find the App passwords section in your Google Account settings, try searching for it in the top search box. If still not there try adding "authenticator app" as a Sign-in step in the Security settings. I think in one case "App passwords" only appeared after adding the above, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-12-07, 08:42

back2themoon wrote:
2023-12-06, 11:01
I think in one case "App passwords" only appeared after adding the above
Not in one case, 2FA is mandatory if you want to use app passwords. And you should be using 2FA anyway for all services that support it, given the increased rate of password breaches. Make sure you don't use SMS for 2 factor, as that can also be hacked by SIM cloning.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-12-07, 09:51

moonbat wrote:
2023-12-07, 08:42
Not in one case, 2FA is mandatory if you want to use app passwords.
That was only meant for "App passwords", since it has been mentioned they may be have been removing the feature for some users - even with 2FA enabled. I didn't experience that though, the option was there.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2023-12-09, 23:49

back2themoon wrote:
I successfully enabled "App passwords" for all my Google accounts.
Excellent!
back2themoon wrote:
Enabling 2FA is a required step. I think "App passwords" only appeared after adding [another auth method], but I'm not 100% sure.
Agree, as subtly implied by the instructions, the UI elements for adding App Passwords are inserted at the bottom of the page (this region is invisible at the time) only after adding 2FA or possibly an authenticator app. Have to scroll down to see the newly-existing input fields? "It's there, you just didn't see it" Good frickin' job by Ggl of hiding features it wants to abolish.