Help with langpacks requested.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Help with langpacks requested.

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-09-16, 19:11

So, I thought I should do an update on the status of langpacks for Epyrus since they were originally planned for the 2.1.0 release, but didn't quite make it in.

The main thing holding them up is that I had a process figured out for generating langpacks, but I failed to document it and accidentally blew away the directory I had prepared it in, and now I can't reconstruct from memory how I built it. I was able to bring the one langpack I built for Italian back in the 1.x days up to date with the current state of Epyrus, modifying it by hand within the archive, but I don't actually know how to build another one.

The only thing I remember for sure, is that it involved figuring out how to use the option:

ac_add_options --with-l10n-base=

In my .mozconfig. I had to rearrange a lot of stuff to jerry-rig the older Thunderbird 52 langpack files that I pulled from Mozilla's servers digging around in their system, and set them up to use the current UXP base langpack files that I pulled from the pale-moon-localization repo for a lot of platform-related stuff. On top of that, a small handful of updates to the old Thunderbird langpack files are needed to account for the current state of Epyrus. Not many changes are needed since I haven't changed a ton of strings other than the brand name and copyright data, but it is enough that it won't quite work out of the box.

The one awkward thing about this process, is that it seems to require building the whole e-mail client to generate one langpack, and you can only generate one at a time to my knowledge. I didn't really want to start asking for help with this without having any kind of process in place, but I feel like if I wait until I have time to set this up and do it right, I'll never get anywhere with it.

I do kind of want to see this done, but I'm realizing that I definitely cannot do something like this on my own with more than maybe one language.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Help with langpacks requested.

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-09-16, 19:42

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-09-16, 22:37

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-09-16, 19:42
Maybe this will help...
https://udn.realityripple.com/docs/Mozi ... guage_pack
Thanks. I'm sure that was a piece of the puzzle, and might be enough for me to fill in the blanks in how I got this working initially.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-09-17, 15:46

I did manage to remember something else, and I am writing it down here before I forget...

I used ./mach langpack to generate the langpacks, and I can use the command to generate an English langpack that can be used as a base, even without any of the I10n files available.

So that means it's really just a matter of sourcing the appropriate l10n files from somewhere, finding the relationship between the structure of the l10n-base folder and whatever folder structure is generated for English langpack, and then building the e-mail client with the desired language, testing it, and then building a langpack.

Now I remember why I didn't write it down, it seemed pretty intuitive at the time...