How do I log out of Epyrus?

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-07-12, 14:56

Hello,
I would like to log in to a new account but I cannot find the logout option.
I only found the account menu.
Regards,
Piotrek

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How do I log out of Epyrus?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-12, 15:00

There is no "log out" in a mail client. it's not webmail.
In the account menu you can just add your second (and third, fourth, ...) account and it will be handled in parallel.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-07-12, 15:17

Moonchild wrote:
2023-07-12, 15:00
There is no "log out" in a mail client. it's not webmail.
In the account menu you can just add your second (and third, fourth, ...) account and it will be handled in parallel.
Thank you very much for your answer.
So I'll take a look again because I added a new account but when trying to send email from it it keeps asking for the password from the first one.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-07-12, 15:37

When you write a new email and you have more than one account set up, you have to choose which account you want it sent from (selection is in the message window at the top: "From:"). A default account can be set.

If you are replying to an email, the correct account is automatically selected.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-07-12, 16:05

back2themoon wrote:
2023-07-12, 15:37
When you write a new email and you have more than one account set up, you have to choose which account you want it sent from (selection is in the message window at the top: "From:"). A default account can be set.

If you are replying to an email, the correct account is automatically selected.
I know, I selected it, but it still wants the password for the previous account.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-12, 18:44

Under Account Settings, in the main page of each account there is a choice for "outgoing SMTP server", where you select which one to use for sending for each account.
There is also a button "Manage identities" right below it where you can configure various sender identities and which settings to use for each.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-07-12, 18:54

Moonchild wrote:
2023-07-12, 18:44
Under Account Settings, in the main page of each account there is a choice for "outgoing SMTP server", where you select which one to use for sending for each account.
There is also a button "Manage identities" right below it where you can configure various sender identities and which settings to use for each.
Thank you, I'll take a look.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2023-07-12, 23:04

Even when you are working with one account, the program can still work with a different account in the background. In case that account does not have its password saved with it, the program will prompt you for the password. It may be unclear that a background process has been pushed to the foreground and interrupted your work.

To guard against this confusion, maybe turn off the account not being used, with Tools => Account Settings => Server Settings: uncheck both "Check for new messages"-es and probably restart. The last resort would be to delete the first account entirely.

It's also possible to look up what accounts have what passwords saved with them.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2023-07-13, 07:20

Bilbo47 wrote:
2023-07-12, 23:04
Even when you are working with one account, the program can still work with a different account in the background. In case that account does not have its password saved with it, the program will prompt you for the password. It may be unclear that a background process has been pushed to the foreground and interrupted your work.

To guard against this confusion, maybe turn off the account not being used, with Tools => Account Settings => Server Settings: uncheck both "Check for new messages"-es and probably restart. The last resort would be to delete the first account entirely.

It's also possible to look up what accounts have what passwords saved with them.
Thank you.

SlySven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by SlySven » 2023-10-02, 19:55

It might be worth mentioning that - particularly if using IMAP mail accounts - there is also an option to work "Off-line" which should stop Epyrus from sending (or receiving) anything from the (presumably) remote Mail Servers. That does "sort of" log you out of those systems.

Any EMails you create and try to send thereafter will be stored up in one or more outboxes within Epyrus awaiting the time when you go back on-line. Of course this also means those messages will also not be visible from any other PC or OS on the same PC that you have also set up an EMail client for (or a corresponding web-mail account), furthermore any draft messages will also only be stored in that instance of Epyrus until you go back on-line and it re-syncs itself to the Server.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-10-03, 00:30

Well, you could close Epyrus if you want to stop using it for a while, and you could remove an e-mail account from Epyrus if you want to quit using a particular account with it.

Alternatively, you could be referring to using a new profile with Epyrus. You can run Epyrus with the -p option from the command line, and create a different user profile. There doesn't seem to be a way to log out of a user profile within Epyrus while it's running, you have to shut it down and invoke the profile manager from the command line as far as I know. If I were to add a "log out" option to Epyrus, more than likely what I would have it do is log out an existing user profile and go back to the profile manager to use a different profile. Effectively the same type of thing that happens when you sign out of Windows and it takes you back to a list of users. I could see it potentially being useful if multiple people use Epyrus on the same machine, like a family computer or something, but I haven't really had a lot of people ask for this functionality.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-03, 08:58

athenian200 wrote:
2023-10-03, 00:30
I could see it potentially being useful if multiple people use Epyrus on the same machine, like a family computer or something
That scenario should actually be handled with different system user accounts. It's generally not a good idea to intermingle different user data in a single system account.
There's a reason Windows has had a "quick user switch" feature for many iterations, not even requiring logout :)