Is Athenian all right?

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Is Athenian all right?

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-04-06, 21:57

He has not shown on the board in a month, according to his profile, and there have been no commits to the Epyrus repository in three months. I hope all is well with him.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Is Athenian all right?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-04-15, 13:46

I, too, hope the person is fine.

Perhaps privacy concerns prevent other types of reply.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-05-03, 03:32

Hi, I'm fine, I was actually about to make a status update thread, but I can just use this one.

So, what happened was I got really focused on my classes and extracurricular activities at college this semester because I am really trying to break out of the rut I've been in for the past several years of UXP-related stuff being my whole life and just never leaving my computer. The forums were what I most neglected, because I don't get notifications from it, and also I really feel like when I'm on here I have to sit down and think hard about what's being said. I was still kind of half-paying attention to development discussions on the Gitea server, though. Enough to know that I may have a lot of work to do to bring Epyrus up to the standard needed to build against modern UXP, not that I mind the work, I'm happy that the codebase is evolving... it's just it seemed like back when I was more active, the big things rarely changed, and then in the past three months a lot of big platform changes (WebComponents and libxul) started happening right when I had less time than ever to spare for UXP-related stuff. That said, I'm happy to have an actual reason to keep up with development for a change. LOL. I'm tempted to joke that more progress was made in the past three months than the past three years.

So I kind of got to the point that I was letting things pile up because I knew I had a mountain of work ahead of me when I came back, that it wasn't going to be something I could spend a few hours on and be done, and honestly I was dreading having to come back here and explain the situation, because I know I've been negligent, and sometimes I have this way of being where the longer I've been negligent, the more embarrassed I am to come back and explain myself and the less inclined I am to face the people I've been neglecting.

Another big problem that has been adding onto this is that I can't even use Epyrus for school. I've had to use Outlook to manage my student e-mail account, because I absolutely need Office for class anyway (my school uses Microsoft Teams and wants assignments done as Word documents), and the e-mail system there requires such a specific OAuth2 configuration that I don't think even Thunderbird works with it, the way their IT department set things up it's pretty much Outlook or WebMail. So I've been doing all my schoolwork on a Windows 11 laptop I got as a gift recently, and that laptop has nothing UXP-related on it because that stuff would be a distraction from my schoolwork, with the obvious downside being that I don't have many opportunities to test Epyrus (or even Pale Moon) myself.

So, that's the status update. The good news is that I should have plenty of time this summer to restart development on Epyrus and make some actual progress. I didn't intend for this to be a hiatus in the first place and kept thinking I would do something on a weekend, but I guess that is what it turned into whether I intended it or not. I just need to find that balance between not paying attention to these projects at all, and letting them consume me. I just... I've seen what can happen to someone if they let a project like this become their whole life, and I know I'm the type of person that's vulnerable to obsessions that result in spending too long in the same rabbit-hole and wasting my life away, so to speak.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-05-03, 08:53

Thank you. I'm happy to hear you're ok.

All l can say is that Epyrus has been my one and only email program for months now. It's great, and you can be proud (if you're inclined toward that sort of thing) of what you've achieved.

Stay healthy, and good luck.

Best regards,
JG
Berlin, Germany
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

LeeBinder
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by LeeBinder » 2023-05-04, 20:56

Yes, I also enjoyed reading the update from you. It all makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain to lay it all out.

I also only use Epyrus and am 99,9% happy :thumbup: . The 0,1% are things which don't even work in Thunderbird, as far as I could test.
Intel MacBook (MacBookPro15,4) with macOS Ventura, Monterey and Big Sur

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-04, 21:08

Just to make sure everyone understands; as far as a mail client is concerned that does not allow active content (scripts and other dynamic content) in e-mail, security updates are much less pressing of an issue. Even if hazards (crash or otherwise) exist, they can not be exploited in the overwhelmingly vast majority of cases, if they can even be triggered to begin with.
So, if Athenian needs more time to fit Epyrus work into his schedule, that won't really be much of an issue; neither is not getting updates on a rabid release schedule to a mail client. :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-05-04, 21:41

Also glad you are ok. :thumbup:

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2023-09-03, 14:29

athenian200 wrote:
2023-05-03, 03:32
Hi, I'm fine, I was actually about to make a status update thread, but I can just use this one.

So, what happened was I got really focused on my classes and extracurricular activities at college this semester because I am really trying to break out of the rut I've been in for the past several years of UXP-related stuff being my whole life and just never leaving my computer. The forums were what I most neglected, because I don't get notifications from it, and also I really feel like when I'm on here I have to sit down and think hard about what's being said. I was still kind of half-paying attention to development discussions on the Gitea server, though. Enough to know that I may have a lot of work to do to bring Epyrus up to the standard needed to build against modern UXP, not that I mind the work, I'm happy that the codebase is evolving... it's just it seemed like back when I was more active, the big things rarely changed, and then in the past three months a lot of big platform changes (WebComponents and libxul) started happening right when I had less time than ever to spare for UXP-related stuff. That said, I'm happy to have an actual reason to keep up with development for a change. LOL. I'm tempted to joke that more progress was made in the past three months than the past three years.

So I kind of got to the point that I was letting things pile up because I knew I had a mountain of work ahead of me when I came back, that it wasn't going to be something I could spend a few hours on and be done, and honestly I was dreading having to come back here and explain the situation, because I know I've been negligent, and sometimes I have this way of being where the longer I've been negligent, the more embarrassed I am to come back and explain myself and the less inclined I am to face the people I've been neglecting.

Another big problem that has been adding onto this is that I can't even use Epyrus for school. I've had to use Outlook to manage my student e-mail account, because I absolutely need Office for class anyway (my school uses Microsoft Teams and wants assignments done as Word documents), and the e-mail system there requires such a specific OAuth2 configuration that I don't think even Thunderbird works with it, the way their IT department set things up it's pretty much Outlook or WebMail. So I've been doing all my schoolwork on a Windows 11 laptop I got as a gift recently, and that laptop has nothing UXP-related on it because that stuff would be a distraction from my schoolwork, with the obvious downside being that I don't have many opportunities to test Epyrus (or even Pale Moon) myself.

So, that's the status update. The good news is that I should have plenty of time this summer to restart development on Epyrus and make some actual progress. I didn't intend for this to be a hiatus in the first place and kept thinking I would do something on a weekend, but I guess that is what it turned into whether I intended it or not. I just need to find that balance between not paying attention to these projects at all, and letting them consume me. I just... I've seen what can happen to someone if they let a project like this become their whole life, and I know I'm the type of person that's vulnerable to obsessions that result in spending too long in the same rabbit-hole and wasting my life away, so to speak.
Athenian, just as a heads-up if you need to access an Outlook email account with Epyrus, use Davmail:

https://davmail.sourceforge.net/index.html

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-09-06, 08:04

Baloo wrote:
2023-09-03, 14:29
Athenian, just as a heads-up if you need to access an Outlook email account with Epyrus, use Davmail:

https://davmail.sourceforge.net/index.html
Thanks, Baloo. I vaguely remembered you mentioning a program like that a long time ago, but couldn't remember what it was. This will give me a way to potentially use Epyrus on my laptop, and hopefully eventually figure out how Davmail works well enough to do something similar with Epyrus eventually... when I'm not as busy with school.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind