Modding CardBook for Epyrus

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

jelabarre59

Modding CardBook for Epyrus

Unread post by jelabarre59 » 2023-03-09, 13:26

I was just trying to install CardBook to Epyrus 2.0.1 (Linux). The current version doesn't install (probably because it looks for a later TBird version) which is understandable.

I saw a message elsewhere on this forum referring to Cardbook v38 (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29376). While that one does install, it doesn't support the current OAuth2 API from Google, so it can't sync with it.

I know there are hacks to change the supported version field in extensions/add-ons, any recommendations on what tweaks might be needed? It may work, it might not (more likely not) but it could be worth a try.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Modding CardBook for Epyrus

Unread post by Baloo » 2023-04-18, 00:53

At the risk of sounding insulting, you are better off using Etesync for your contacts to be hosted than Google if you want to use Cardbook 38 with Epyrus. Google will block all 3rd-party platforms not its own through continued stifling "security" measures. Google does not allow its OAuth2 token to be used with the F-Droid version of FairEmail for Android, K-9 Mail, and a few others. It's ridiculous.

jelabarre59

Unread post by jelabarre59 » 2023-06-30, 23:16

Baloo wrote:
2023-04-18, 00:53
At the risk of sounding insulting, you are better off using Etesync for your contacts to be hosted than Google if you want to use Cardbook 38 with Epyrus. Google will block all 3rd-party platforms not its own through continued stifling "security" measures. Google does not allow its OAuth2 token to be used with the F-Droid version of FairEmail for Android, K-9 Mail, and a few others. It's ridiculous.
I looked at Etesync, didn't really like it (it's been 2 or 3 months since I looked at it, so I don't remember just what it's problems were). I would eventually look to move to some other paid email provider (still shopping around at options) or I may even use a Nextcloud solution at home. But that's not right now, I have too much else to do. So making what I already have work is where I need to go.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2023-09-03, 14:30

Fair enough, but if you want something even easier, try mailbox.org. They are not as sophisticated as Etesync (One Calendar, One Contacts List) but it is much easier to access using Carddav. Etesync requires a bridge.